• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric conversion for our 2002? Ford may have the answer.

Vicleonardo1

Ford already sold out of its Eluminator E crate motor. 

281 HP and 317 foot pounds of torque. 

A little under 2 feet long. 

Batteries not included.......

Ford Says Electric Crate Motors That Can Replace Combustion Engines In Old, New Vehicles Are Sold Out (msn.com)

ELUMINATOR MACH E ELECTRIC MOTOR| Part Details for M-9000-MACHE | Ford Performance Parts

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Yeah, heard about that- and that it was, so far, just the motor.  It'll be an amazing solution once they offer the battery and the controlling stuff to go with it.  It's really a great idea; make a kit, let people convert whatever they want, not have to deal with salvage tesla / nissan / whatever- just buy a full kit.

Honestly, for a lot of little cars, the PU could be half the output.  I would think about something for an MR2 Spyder- it doesn't need 300ft-lb...  But 150 would be a rocket for ripping around town.  I mean, a 2zz is a nice answer, too, but this is where it all needs to go, he says, as finds the few remaining gas stations that sell pure gasoline, and fills his tank, which fuels a detuned race motor from the most winningest touring car in history, to hear the glorious sounds of individual throttle bodies sucking in all that air at over 7,000 rpm.

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Having flirted around the edges of this, 

without a controller, a motor's not all that attractive

to most people who want to convert a car.

And batteries are usually at least 2/3 of the expense.

Forget ye not the charging system- for a fantsy battery

pack, it really matters.

t

watts up?

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

So as an alternate idea, how much would need to be done to run to an internal combustion engine running on clean hydrogen fuel?

If I recall, BMW did that a decade or more ago with a 7-series ICE. One of the modifications was a vent at the very highest point inside the car, just in case of a leak. I think, but not sure, green- or blue H2 will be used in electric fuel cells to power an electric motor. 

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

The problem with so-called clean hydrogen is that it uses renewable energy to derive the hydrogen from water.

If you just use the renewable energy to charge an EV instead of using it to make hydrogen for combustion, you skip the thermally inefficient internal combustion process, the NOx emissions, the hydrogen tank that when charged to 10,000 psi needs to be seven times the size of a gas tank to store the equivalent energy of gasoline and the 25% efficiency at the wheels. You also can't simply convert an engine to hydrogen the way you can with propane. Spark fired direct injection is the "best" option which eliminates most engines older than 20 years without consideration to the substantial changes that would need to be engineered. Hydrogen is a ruse Toyota has been working on for a long time to stave off the demise of highly-profitable internal combustion engine vehicles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TobyB said:

without a controller, a motor's not all that attractive

Yeah, the motor kinda is/has always been/always will be the easy part.  Heck, you could get/make/adapt a great ~200HP motor 50 years ago for a car.  But a high efficiency  DC controller for such a motor is another story entirely, and then the batteries of course are the most expensive/most complex part of the whole operation.  Electric motors are fantastic, but batteries down right suck:  That's the basic conundrum of the 21st century.  Now if someone ever puts together a kit with all 3 of those bits it'd be a lot more expensive but also a lot more interesting.  I wonder what % of all those that bought that Ford motor are residents of California. . . ?

Wonder how long before we find it hard to get fuel?

not really following the electric idea as I can’t imagine my 02 without its engine, might not matter at my age, can’t see petrol going anywhere for a while especially in Australia.

Time to dust off the mountain bike, oh wait…

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Where are the small converters at on efficient regeneration? You need a good system to make a e car really work.

Regen is tricky. To really work well it needs to be customized to the particular vehicle's characteristics.

Because it's most beneficial applied as dynamically as possible, regen on production vehicles is integrated into the ABS/traction control so it can be reduced or disabled in low/no traction conditions. It needs to be regulated based on the battery's ability to accept a charge at any given time which varies with the type of battery, battery temperature, and battery charge level. Then there's proper brake blending so the regen works in concert with the service brakes regardless how much the regen is modulated. Some hybrids do this poorly even with big money invested in development. EVs seem a bit better. 

It's a lot of stuff to get right when piecing a system together.

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Regen is tricky. To really work well it needs to be customized to the particular vehicle's characteristics.

Because it's most beneficial applied as dynamically as possible, regen on production vehicles is integrated into the ABS/traction control so it can be reduced or disabled in low/no traction conditions. It needs to be regulated based on the battery's ability to accept a charge at any given time which varies with the type of battery, battery temperature, and battery charge level. Then there's proper brake blending so the regen works in concert with the service brakes regardless how much the regen is modulated. Some hybrids do this poorly even with big money invested in development. EVs seem a bit better. 

It's a lot of stuff to get right when piecing a system together.

It's what blows me away with F1.  I can't imagine being able to get the regen so right that these guys can still drive a car like they do- amazing level of electronic control.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Now if someone ever puts together a kit with all 3 of those bits it'd be a lot more expensive but also a lot more interesting. 

Something like this, perhaps?

t

how many times did you hit it with the ugly stick?

press00-model-x-rear-three-quarter-with-doors-open.jpg

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL