• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legends of Autobahn East

tomphot

My '72 2002Tii has been accepted at the Hilton Head Concours - Legends of the Autobahn East this upcoming weekend.  I've never attended one of these events nor shown a car at more than a local Cars and Coffee show or been judged.  I have no idea on what to expect.  I refreshed my car on my own and did my best best to make it "Right".  I'm sure all the pros will kick my butt however I would like to put my best foot forward.

I would love to get some thoughts/suggestions on what's going to happen and how to prepare.

Edited by tomphot
  • Like 5

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Tom:  I'll see you there.  CCA judging is entirely condition and cleanliness (at least that's what they say), not originality.  It is my understanding that all 2002s being judged will be classed as "concours," meaning judges will assess exterior, interior, trunk, engine and undercarriage.  Declutter your trunk so they can see spare, tools, etc.  Assume they'll ask you to start the engine, operate lights, etc.  They'll also likely ask you to describe the car's provenance.  Since it is predicted to rain Saturday, the judging will likely be abbreviated and somewhat cursory.

Your car is phenomenal.  Enjoy the day and don't stress it.

Don

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like @Charles in PA said, just go have fun, unless you're looking for a trophy. Although "Concours" (not "Concourse") translates to "competition" - ?  I don't know anything about your car and its "period correctness" or "upgrades". Your profile pic looks like you're running some sort of modern 8-spoke alloy wheel, which many consider an "upgrade", but are not "period correct". Report back after the big show...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, golf73 said:

Like @Charles in PA said, just go have fun, unless you're looking for a trophy. Although "Concours" (not "Concourse") translates to "competition" - ?  I don't know anything about your car and its "period correctness" or "upgrades". Your profile pic looks like you're running some sort of modern 8-spoke alloy wheel, which many consider an "upgrade", but are not "period correct". Report back after the big show...

Thanks, just looking to having fun with great friends like Don and Gary and hoping to meet new folks!  I have been able to source a nice set of proper Tii steel wheels that now adorn the car, I should change profile pic! 

• Like 2

'65 Porsche 356SC

3 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Here's the full event schedule.

https://www.hhiconcours.com/full-schedule.html

I may attend the Bimmers in Bluffton event Friday.

Hope the weather forecast improves!

Ha, I may not need to worry about washing my car after the Long drive to Hilton Head!!

'65 Porsche 356SC

Be sure to look for Stevenola and his Polaris 3.0 CS, also in the show, while you’re there.

Edited by 0257
Sp
  • Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

We don’t start motors, check lights or anything like that. Just be super clean, no wax residue, bugs, lint on carpets, clean glass inside and out. Steve will be judging 02s along with Mike Self, only five 2002s.  See all of you there!

Chris

Edited by HBChris
  • Like 2

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Unless things have changed during the past two years.....

The "judges" have very limited knowledge of BMW 2002's.

Judges DON'T have q-tips in their pockets(like BMWCCA "judges").

My advise, complete the window info sheet.  Park your car and go view

all the other cars on display.  Lots of opportunities to socialize with other

owners.  Do that.  They're all "car folks".  

It's like a big Cars & Coffee,  .....I'm not goin' back. 

Mac. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I had fun being judged :) That is because I like to talk, so i had a blast talking to the judge.  The car was not close to winning, but it was still fun.  We convinced @1936spyder to enter his car and he did well :) Peer pressure is the key.

steve k.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

4 hours ago, mac said:

Unless things have changed during the past two years.....

The "judges" have very limited knowledge of BMW 2002's.

Judges DON'T have q-tips in their pockets(like BMWCCA "judges").

My advise, complete the window info sheet.  Park your car and go view

all the other cars on display.  Lots of opportunities to socialize with other

owners.  Do that.  They're all "car folks".  

It's like a big Cars & Coffee,  .....I'm not goin' back. 

Mac. 

CCA judges don’t use q-tips or wear white gloves, don’t know what show you attended.  Legends has always been the same, only older O’fest events used to use those but that was over five years ago.  And our judges do know 2002s as Mike Self is proof of that and I will be judging e9s.  These are clean car contests and originality is only considered in the Preservation class.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

See y'all at Bluffton and at the Saturday concours...I drove my '91 2002 (318is) as my lovely wife draws the line at riding more than 50 or so miles in a 2002.  And in her defense, an '02 was her daily driver from 1969 to 1985, and we took many long vacation trips in an '02...when we were much younger!

Cheers

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite