• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bleeding Clutch

esty

2 hours ago, esty said:

i don't understand what you are saying about #5 and the grommet....he put the fluid pipe from reservoir in the master cylinder and lowered in in place...he does not preload the pedal before attaching push rod

I believe there is a washer in there - #5. Faint memory.

What I meant by preload was moving the pushrod forward slightly in order to attach it to the pedal. I'm still trying to eliminate the possibility that the hole is blocked.

I’ve always had luck with 2 helpers. 1 pumping the clutch, the 2nd slowly filling fluid in the reservoir, and myself under the car with a clear tube in a plastic bottle. I have the person in the car constantly pump the clutch until the clear tube line is bubble free. 

Edited by Jae

we put a new clutch master in a few weeks ago, it appeared to work, we could get pedal pressure and bleed at all wheels...then after sitting for a week + or - it mysteriously no longer built any pressure and none of wheels would bleed

i am holding the clutch master now, there is no resistance when moving the piston in and out, the piston just wobbles around in the cylinder and goes into the cylinder 5/8 of an inch ...if i take the rubber boot off and hold it with piston rod up, it just drops into the master, no resistance at all...we don't want to take it apart because it's going back to Rock Auto under warranty

it's like #2 in the picture, which i assume is a seal is missing or has come off...moving the piston around in the cylinder make metal to metal noise

i don't want to open another can of worms but i steve asked the question, did he used some contaminated brake fluid that is screwing up seals...after removing the brake master and replacing the rear lines steve pressure bled all old fluid he was using out of the lines...it is ordinary, nothing special DOT 3 that we get at autozone, same stuff we have used for 40 years in all of our cars and trucks

zz.png

Sounds like something happened to the M/C and the piston is stuck in the bore mid stroke thus blocking the port to the reservoir. 

Geeez  Esty, I hope you guys get all the bad luck out of the way on the hydraulic systems!

I will add that current rebuilt hydraulics are not of the quality level they used to be and are a bit of a crap shoot. Lots of garbage of there !

Edited by Lorin

Most likely something happened to the spring inside bore.

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.25.32 AM.png

You said you don't want to take it apart, but you need to know what happened. don't you? No guarantee next MC any better

Remove gaiter then remove lock ring. Eyelet, plunger rod and slotted ring should come right off all together. Now push cylinder rod down while removing C ring. Should be able to remove cylinder rod once C ring is removed 

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

3 hours ago, Lorin said:

Sounds like something happened to the M/C and the piston is stuck in the bore mid stroke thus blocking the port to the reservoir. 

Geeez  Esty, I hope you guys get all the bad luck out of the way on the hydraulic systems!

I will add that current rebuilt hydraulics are not of the quality level they used to be and are a bit of a crap shoot. Lots of garbage of there !

with our luck with what should have been an easy project we are fully expecting to have to replace the new slave cylinder too

Try taking an oiling can and fill it with brake fluid. Connect a piece of appropriate sized tubing and pump fluid backwards through the bleeder screw of the slave cylinder until it has backed up into the clutch master cylinder.  Then try pumping the pedal.  Sounds like you have an air pocket that won't go away.  Especially when you've disconnected stuff.  This will purge it from the other direction.  I've had this happen to me and I think this was the solution.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

If your missing the clip #2 the piston has almost surly moved back to cover the inlet port. #2 controls how far back the piston can slid, and my guess is the seal #3 seal has dropped out of the bore so you can't just shove the whole thing back in.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 9/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, esty said:

i took the push rod out and didn't learn a thing...i could not compress the cylinder by hand

^ +1

On the bench or in the car and output port connected to slave cylinder? you got pictures?

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I was at a cars & coffee type of affair Sunday, a mechanic who bleeds systems all the time said that an easy solution is to use a windscreen washer pump to suck the air out. I had not heard of this, I have seen the vacuum based ones. He said go to napa, buy the cheapest washer pump you can find, some wire and alligator clamps and a fuse. Set the pump up like a test rig on a small piece of wood, with the clear plastic tube connecting suction side of the pump to the bleed valve on the slave. I asked about the brake fluid ruining the internals, but he said that he has been using the same pump for 10 years... I also have been having fun with this, all the components are now swapped, just need to bleed it.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

16 minutes ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

I was at a cars & coffee type of affair Sunday, a mechanic who bleeds systems all the time said that an easy solution is to use a windscreen washer pump to suck the air out. I had not heard of this, I have seen the vacuum based ones. He said go to napa, buy the cheapest washer pump you can find, some wire and alligator clamps and a fuse. Set the pump up like a test rig on a small piece of wood, with the clear plastic tube connecting suction side of the pump to the bleed valve on the slave. I asked about the brake fluid ruining the internals, but he said that he has been using the same pump for 10 years... I also have been having fun with this, all the components are now swapped, just need to bleed it.

Andrew

that is another form of reverse bleeding...we bought and used a reverse bleeder, it did not help us it is/was a bad clutch master, we got the replacement saturday but haven't worked on the car yet