• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't secure dip stick tube

Shiparino

Recently purchased a 75 02 and I can't get the dip stick tube to stay seated, or actually it doesn't seem to seat.  I've pushed it in, then started the car, and it will come loose.  Is there a trick to getting it seated?  Is there some kind of screw that may be missing?  Don't have pictures of it at the moment, I'm out of town, but still thinking about the car and ordering parts just about every day.

Presume your dipstick tube is a steel tube pressed into the appropriate hole in the block (there are actually 3 different dipstick holders used on 2002s).  If that's the case, remove the steel tube and dipstick, and with the dipstick out, turn the tube upside down on a solid surface, and using a tapered punch, gently flare the end that's pressed into the block.  Do just a little flaring at a time until its a nice, tight fit in the block, then tap it in place using either a copper or rawhide mallet, or use a block of wood between the tube and your steel hammer.  You can smear a little Loctite on the tube before inserting, too.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, Shiparino said:

Is there some kind of screw that may be missing? 

Do you have the tube supported at the upper end, it should be.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Here is a pic of the top dipstick bracket. It attaches to the intake manifold.

To recap:   Clamp the dipstick tube to the engine block "stub" with a short piece of hose and two hose clamps. 

Then secure the top of the tube to the intake manifold with the bracket and bolts/nut.

Dipstick Bracket.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shiparino said:

The bracket I get. Can make one. But there is nothing to attach the piece of hose to at the base. Does that just go around the tube? If so, what purpose does it serve? Or is something missing at the base of my setup?

2B08C479-7038-445C-8320-759ED7B7EF9C.jpeg

F2FB477E-8746-4CF9-B728-6E0FA9E3DBF1.jpeg

Perhaps earlier block. Does your new upper bracket hold the tube in place? Does the bottom of the tube have a somewhat tight fit?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

8 hours ago, Shiparino said:

Here’s what I ended up with.

15509DB3-0C56-4805-9542-B55A915380CF.jpeg

Your shackle should be mounted to the end of intake manifold not to top of manifold. That raised tap hole Where you have it currently secured is/was for fuel return valve. See item #10 below, p/n 11431258218

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 11.28.11 AM.png

Secondly, you guide tube (dipstick tube) should be like #2, 3 or 4 assembly and it depends what block you have. You could check the VIN on the block and that will narrow down as what style tube is the proper one for you block.

Your tube is coming too far towards driver fender and it don't look right to me.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 11.29.18 AM.png

• Like 1

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

If it's a 75 block the tube should just shove into the block, in this picture it looks to me you have a piece of the tube broken off and still in the hole, the tube should go in something like a 1/2 a inch. if you do have something in there look at the bottom of your tube to see if it came from there. I take all of that back it looks like it's just the machining  to fit the tube. lots of oil around the area try cleaning that up and the hole and the tube then use a thick gasket sealer like pematex #1 in the tube and shove it in and give it a few light whacks with a rubber hammer to seat it. then attach your brace.

F2FB477E-8746-4CF9-B728-6E0FA9E3DBF1.jpeg

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944