• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk bins - what's up with everyone?

BarrettN

So @swift53 has made some really nice reproductions of the trunk bins that were factory accessories for our 02s - he has them done down in El Salvador where my wife is from, When I wanted one he didn't have any here in the US, so I got it from him there.

Since I'm going there for a wedding I offered to bring some back with me if he needed - turns out he has a bunch in California, BUT NO ONE IS BUYING THEM!

Is there something I'm missing? I'd think this would be an almost "must have" to be able to have a nice stash of tools and parts in the trunk without having to worry about them sliding around. I think he said he's sitting on 6 of them.

I thought I'd post something about them for anyone new who isn't familiar with them - you can see from them how they fit in the trunk:

trunk bin.jpg

• Like 2

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Good question, Barrett!

The one complaint I’ve heard, multiple times, about the original bins is that the evaporative emissions tank — found on most U.S. ‘02’s — interferes with the trunk bin.

I have not seen this myself, and I don’t know if @swift53’s repro bins are more or less susceptible to this conflict. Perhaps someone here with one of these new bins can comment on this issue.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

55 minutes ago, landon said:

I did get one and I love it! You have to remove the evaporative tank to install and remove but it does not interfere once installed. 

Ok, that was my question. You obviously have to remove the tank to install the bin but once it’s installed you can put the tank back in its place?

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I have to relocate my amp.

Have had this setup for years. Yet still have a OEM orange stickered bin.

Trunk Organization.jpeg

• Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

3 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

Ok, that was my question. You obviously have to remove the tank to install the bin but once it’s installed you can put the tank back in its place?

Yes. the tank just slides out so it's easy and just slide it back when the bin is in. 

• Like 1

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

I love mine.  It holds lots of things that otherwise would be rattling around in the trunk.  I removed the evaporative tank and did not replace it.  I actually don’t believe that it fits back in with my car.   19744tii.  Not sure if the tank is a little bit taller due to the increased tii size, my trunk deck is sitting a bit proud, or what.  Anyway, a simple hose into the spare wheel well solves the issue easily.

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

Thank you all for the kind comments! I cannot start a website for only a few bins, and  what I discovered, is

they are a seasonal thing.

I don't have any, and people want them, I have them, but no desire anymore.

Funny.

Well, there are some available in the USA (CA) at a friend's. It cost less to ship them now (not much less)

but my friend went to home Depot and bought slightly smaller boxes. So, less than $50 for shipping.

I am getting too old to keep up with the hassle of making these things, big and bulky to travel with,

and get funny looks at customs :)

Regards, Alberto

• Like 3