• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New ball joints - pleasant surprise

cdn97986

The boots on the ball joints on my '75 were torn, so am replacing along with front bushings since they look original (riveted to the control arms). Some searching here showed many chose to not pay the $250-300 for the OEM BMW parts, but went with Meyle, Moog, Delphi, OCAP, etc as replacements with good success. I happened to come across some AC Delco Professional ones for sale on RockAuto, CARID, other vendors, and they looked identical to the BMW ones I removed from the pics online. For $60 shipped for a pair, I took a chance, and sure enough, they are the OEM TRW ones identical to the originals. Made in Germany, also have the castle nut / cotter pin set-up  versus nyloc nut that most others have. Just feel a little better with a physical pin keeping that nut in place in an area that won't see the light of day hopefully for many years to inspect. Basically OEM parts for 1/10 the cost of BMW. No affiliation, just passing along.

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7407.JPG

IMG_7406.JPG

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7405.JPG

• Like 6

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

Suggestion for your install:  After you torque up the castle nut and insert the cotter pin, and before you bolt the two halves of the housing back together, fill the space around the castle nut/cotter pin with wheel bearing grease.  Then the next time you have to take that apart, you won't be greeted with an unrecognizable mass of rust.  

And don't forget to use those "special" bolts to hold those two halves together--properly safety wired, of course.  And put a little anti-seize paste on the threads for the same reason as above.  You--or a future owner--will thank you in years to come.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the tips Mike. Again, lots of great info here, going to do the grease trick to keep the rust at bay in that cavity (mine was surprisingly free of rust / easy to remove for a PA / MD car), and have new "special" bolts and safety wire ready to go. Don't want any surprises when driving spiritedly! Looking at the set-up, is there a good way to get a torque wrench on those special bolts? Seems like it will be too tight when the ball joint / control arm are there. Don't want to bump / knick the boots on the new ball joints!

Craig

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

45 minutes ago, Labphoto said:

Why don’t they put Zerq grease fittings?

Stating with a current year car, go back to older years and name the last one found with greasable ball joints?

The last one that I remember was 1956.

At the rate these cars rust away, the sealed joints outlast the car in a normal use situation.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:39 PM, jimk said:

Stating with a current year car, go back to older years and name the last one found with greasable ball joints?

The last one that I remember was 1956.

At the rate these cars rust away, the sealed joints outlast the car in a normal use situation.

My 2006 Jeep Rubicon and both my 2WD 2003 GM Sierra and 4x4 2002 GM Sierra had greasable balljoints.

Engineer at https://vorshlag.com

2 hours ago, modernbeat said:

My 2006 Jeep Rubicon and both my 2WD 2003 GM Sierra and 4x4 2002 GM Sierra had greasable balljoints.

Autos are in a different class, trucks.  Greasable joints wear out too.  My 4x4 GM full size pickup truck bought new and greased frequently, had drag link joints wear out.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.