• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

windshield windscreen current prefered suppliers

WRKO

Hello -- Does anyone have opinions (...ha...) on current suppliers of quality windshields (windscreen) front and gaskets?  I seem to recall there were differences in quality especially on the gaskets.   I see that wallothnesch has a minor sale on the glass, so might finally get this project lined up.  It's been a few dozen years since I put a windshield in a 2002!

wrko

Pilkington’s fine and about 1/2 what you would pay for 1 through a dealer (if not a bit less). However, those made for the US market are being made in Mexico now and the edges are a bit rough so they need some filing. As far as gaskets go use only OEM BMW. The URO stuff is crap.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

As said local shops sometimes have or can get the right front glass. Same glase as OEM except in generic name.  I believe you still need OEM gasket as URU is not yet vetted to satisfaction. 

Save your energy, stress and potential damage.    Let the pros install it.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

At the 50 year point of these cars I would be surprised if there was more than one manufacturer pressing windshields  regardless of the markings on the glass  

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I had a friend who worked for a certain windshield company, let's call them dangerheavy. He told me Pilkington is usually the best bang for your buck and PPG is better but more expensive, dont even bother with Fuyao or any of the other Chinese windshield manufacturers.

For older cars like 02s your better off going to a mom and pop shop that might have done one before. Most of the big companies focus on newer cars and insurance cases and won't know how to or just don't want to work on older cars.

I would suggest calling any local classic bmw or European auto shops and asking who they use? Its usually better to get the glass from the installer, that way you don't have to worry about shipping it and/or breaking it.

• Like 2

Plus One on the above comment.  I was told by several locals that If you supply the glass and have someone else install it, and something goes wrong, they will likely not stand behind it.  Just let the professional installer buy the glass, and minimize your risk.  When I looked into this I found that the price for the glass was quite similar whether I bought it or the pro bought it.  It was a no brainer for me after that.  Good Luck.

• Like 1