• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Dealership on The Rockford Files

fastricky

that dealer in the video looks like bob smith bmw in the 1970's on topanga blvd in canoga park? very legenDRY odlk bmw

my mom bought a cpo e39 528 from them in 2003 when they where still on topanga blvd right before they moved to calabasas

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

16 minutes ago, bmw_e30 said:

that dealer in the video looks like bob smith bmw in the 1970's on topanga blvd in canoga park?

nice "detective" work.... ?

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I'm pretty certain that is not Bob Smith's dealership.  I've been staring at that video and in the far background you see a bridge over the roadway.  In the area where Smith's place was, there are no over-the-roadway bridges.  I'm hung-up on that bridge as the identifying/locating mark.

So I'm still scratching my head as to where the other SoCal dealers were.  Vasek Polak was Hermosa Beach ??  What were the other dealers when Rockford was filming from 1974 - 1980 ?? 

The "obvious" location would be Santa Monica since much Rockford filming was done there.  Was there a Santa Monica BMW ??  I haven't got that figured out ...... yet.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

That is the dealership on Lankershim in N Hollywood looking north. the frwy is the 134. the tall building on the left has been a bank building most of its life and the market with the big red sign is now a biglots or a dollar tree. the dealership is still there but has built a larger building across the street.

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

6 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

and from another Rockford episode .........

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_338096-BMW-2002-1974.html  

1974 BMW 2002

Cheers,

Carl

That's Rockford with Richie Brockleman, who drove an old, beat up 65 Mustang.  In one of the episodes, Rockford drives a '70's Can-Am car.  Also one of my favorite shows.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

OK, bourkeco has me 99.9% convinced the Rockford video was filmed in front of the BMW dealer in Toluca Lake.  I was thinking North Hollywood but GoogleMaps tells me that location is actually Toluca Lake.  Which means that the over-the-road bridge I see in the Rockford video background is actually the 134 Freeway.

(amazing, my grandma was living about 3 miles distant from that location when it was filmed).

Good Job Bourkeco !!!

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 1

That dealership could be Santa Monica BMW 

Around 1971 I remember driving a friend to a dealer to pick up a red 02 he had bought.

Might have been in Santa Monica, or maybe Long Beach. We were young, stoner,surfer dipshits so it might have either.

Or possibly North Hollywood,went to a lot of parties there?

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris