• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RE: I'd Buy This Car... Beautiful Alpina Tribute.

PaulTWinterton

9 hours ago, saaron said:

OK, that sold for $27k?  OMG I have to lie down in a dark room with a cold compress for a while.  

That thing is cool.  Maybe a dealer bought it and we’ll see it for sale for $75, in a couple of weeks.  

Scott

$75 seems cheap enough.

I did sell a friend my 1600 for $100 once...

:D

• Haha 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, Tdh said:

Man, I agree.  Great looking car.  I've been toying with the idea of doing sort of a Ti tribute but instead of the solex's, going EFI and using those Jenvey DCOE throttle bodies and MS.  This car is giving me even more ideas.

That’s essentially what I have, but with dBilas DCOE style ITBs. The engine was built to ti spec (or as close as I can get). 

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

20 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Hmmm, not seeing it.  I have no experience with rolling fenders but I don't see any mangling in the pictures.

Paul,

I believe Tommy is referring to the fender lip rolling shown below. I hadn’t noticed it either until he pointed it out. But it does look very sloppy, and post-repaint. The closer you look, the worse it appears!

Best regards,

Steve

1020D975-0519-47F9-9314-982AC102C3BA.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Having built a couple Alpina A4 tributes, I'm very unimpressed with that car.  Wrong wheels.  Wrong cam (and not even a good one to go with the A4 system).  Wrong pistons.  Indeed, the A4 system -- the only thing remotely Alpina about the car -- is wasted on that motor.  I'm not saying it's not a nice tii, but a poor A4 tribute....

1218054657_dsc_33062.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

12 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

Tommy,

For my education:  What prompted you to investigate the wheel arches and their condition?  I would not have thought to examine that characteristic of the car b/c the arches/lips look stock to me.

Larry

My eye may be sensitive to that specific area of bodywork since I have done quite a work to restore my own mistakes there :)  I accept rolling the inner lip but in this car the outer shape is messed up. The shape should match the front fender but it clearly sticks out, picture by Steve above.  When looking from side the countour is bumpy, not fluently continuous. Since fixing this is big and expensive job in my opinion it hurts the value in thousands rather than in hundreds.

• Like 2

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

My eye may be sensitive to that specific area of bodywork since I have done quite a work to restore my own mistakes there :)  I accept rolling the inner lip but in this car the outer shape is messed up. The shape should match the front fender but it clearly sticks out, picture by Steve above.  When looking from side the countour is bumpy, not fluently continuous. Since fixing this is big and expensive job in my opinion it hurts the value in thousands rather than in hundreds.

The lip rolling is so aggressive, and almost desperate, I would guess that an owner fitted, or tried to fit, tires and/or rims substantially larger than those currently on the car.

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The lip rolling is so aggressive, and almost desperate, I would guess that an owner fitted, or tried to fit, tires and/or rims substantially larger than those currently on the car.

I totally got defensive at that!  But you should have seen me with the roller / puller a couple months ago.  Having said that, I no longer have rub.  ?

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve done the Jenvey efi alpina tribute; was always curious to see what something similar would sell for. I have a love hate relationship with it. This particular car looks pretty great.

my motor looks like this:

464DC31B-D6F1-4BA3-864E-74C58A9A8C33.jpeg

C633BE11-A08B-472E-80F1-C7D87C5DAA7F.jpeg

486A9928-FD64-4EBD-982B-2824D5B02126.jpeg

• Like 4

1968 1600 ..::.. 1992 Volkswagen Mk2 GTI ..::.. 2010 Mk6 GTI  :blink:

2011 Volkswagen Mk6 GTI "The Daily" :ph34r:   ..::.. 2007 Mercedes ML500 "The Sensible Child Hauler" -_-

1969 1602 "Elsa" :)

follow fotos here: https://instagram.com/sprout3/

5 hours ago, mccusername said:

What do you love about it and what do you hate?

If we are talking about my car, I love it when it works...but I’m tired of the build. I’ve been at it for like 6 years and there is always something else I’m doing or fixing. I just completely rewired my entire dash. Now chasing some electrical gremlins. 

ive been running incredibly rich despite multiple rolling road tuning sessions. I’m playing around with the tuning today since I’m complete on electrical. On the other end I have a totally original and complete NK 1800...always runs, super simple, looks and drives amazing. Single Solex, just simple fun. Hard not to love that.

• Like 2

1968 1600 ..::.. 1992 Volkswagen Mk2 GTI ..::.. 2010 Mk6 GTI  :blink:

2011 Volkswagen Mk6 GTI "The Daily" :ph34r:   ..::.. 2007 Mercedes ML500 "The Sensible Child Hauler" -_-

1969 1602 "Elsa" :)

follow fotos here: https://instagram.com/sprout3/