• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling all hubcap experts! Are these correct for a 68 2002?

bluebmw

Found this NOS set of hubcap trim rings the other day. No part numbers to be found, but they're definitely BMW. From what I can tell, 1968 US-bound 02s came equipped with separate hubcaps and trim rings - just like these. However, the 15.5" outside diameter seems a tad large. Could they be for a E3 or something else?

P.S. going to be selling them, so PM me if you're interested!

IMG_2452.jpegIMG_2451.jpegIMG_2450.jpeg

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Early caps are only 12 1/2” wide.  It does have the valve stem within an oval opening like in 68 but must be for a larger wheel. 

e3 has rectangular openings

Edited by HBChris
  • Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

I recall two different styles of wheel trims on '68s; both were two piece.  IIRC, really early cars had "dog dish" hubcaps--painted dull silver, with bright aluminum trim rings that fit under the hubcaps.  These trim rings had square holes and were very fragile.  See pg 36-1 in the parts book  Suspect they didn't last very long.  I have a couple of mangled ones in my parts stash.  These were also available as accessory items on early 1600s, so suspect that Max added 'em to the list of "non-optional options" on early 2002s to dress 'em up a little from the hubcap-only equipped 1600s.  

Later on in the year, and just possibly extending to the "first series" '69s, trim rings like those in Sal's picture above were fitted to the same dull-silver painted hubcaps.  From a distance, they looked exactly like the one piece wheel covers that came on most '69s.  

If you look carefully in Sal's picture, you can see the little half-moon cutout to accommodate the valve stem.  This is what distinguishes the painted wheel covers from the later polished ones, like that pictured in Arkleo's photo directly above.  Note that it has a separate, round hole for the valve stem, and is highly polished.  I believe they were fitted to (at least US) 2002s beginning with the '70s, when the factory quit painting and started polishing those wheel covers.  The parts book lists two different wheel covers--painted and polished, but doesn't give a VIN for the changeover.  

BlueBMW's trim rings resemble Sal's but with a 15" diameter, no way nohow are they gonna fit a 13" wheel and not fall off.  And since early coupes and senior sixes used 14 inch wheels, no telling what they're for.  Perhaps something even earlier, like a 3200CS coupe, or even a Baroque Angel?

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

... IIRC, really early cars had "dog dish" hubcaps--painted dull silver, with bright aluminum trim rings that fit under the hubcaps.  These trim rings had square holes and were very fragile.  See pg 36-1 in the parts book  Suspect they didn't last very long.  I have a couple of mangled ones in my parts stash.  These were also available as accessory items on early 1600s, so suspect that Max added 'em to the list of "non-optional options" on early 2002s to dress 'em up a little from the hubcap-only equipped 1600s....

Illustrating Mike’s point, the June 30, 1967 1600-2 currently being offered by @danco_has a set of these (fragile) aluminum trim rings with square holes. I have not asked Ryan whether these trim rings are, to the best of his knowledge, original to this car. But I’d guess they are, considering the originality of the car. So our first data point is June 30, 1967, as shown in the first photo. The second photo, appearing in the May 1968 Road & Track, is of VIN 1660001, world’s first 2002, manufactured November 29, 1967 — and probably road-tested ca. February 1968, given a typical three-month lead time in publishing at that time.

Both of these 1967-manufactured examples have chrome — or is that polished stainless steel? — “dog dish” hub caps with square-hole trim rings. And, yes, although the painted hub caps seemed to be the norm on early 2002’s, as shown in this May 1968 brochure photo (third photo), lots of early 1600-2’s seem to have gotten the chromed versions, as shown in a July 1967 brochure photo (fourth photo), and a 1968 marketing photo, disguised as a road test (fifth photo). I suspect both the painted and chromed versions were produced simultaneously for some time.

I also suspect the square-hole trim rings disappeared in early 1968. They were really fragile, beginning their rapid decline the first time they were removed and replaced!

(That first 2002, shown below in the second photo, has the first documented set of the optional 165HR13 Michelin XAS’s that I’ve seen thus far.)

Regards,

Steve

50B3557E-208B-4ADC-B610-C9C19CCE6CA8.jpeg

31354340-E3DB-4017-913F-035EC45982DA.jpeg

1E60D094-20AD-4F6E-8B73-17C24482F429.jpeg

DCCB31DC-D3BF-4BB3-8D79-D3C596BB1DB6.jpeg

8E7FC539-9417-4954-903C-F8B87E8E29BC.jpeg

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

Both of these 1967-manufactured examples have chrome — or is that polished stainless steel? — “dog dish” hub caps with square-hole trim rings. And, yes, although the painted hub caps seemed to be the norm on early 2002’s, as shown in this May 1968 brochure photo (third photo), lots of early 1600-2’s seem to have gotten the chromed versions, as shown in a July 1967 brochure photo (fourth photo), and a 1968 marketing photo, disguised as a road test (fifth photo). I suspect both the painted and chromed versions were produced simultaneously for some time.

Steve, I think the painted hubcaps/trim rings and one piece wheel covers were fitted exclusively to the 2002s--while the 1600s got the polished ones.  AFAIK they were all stainless steel on both models--I've yet to see a rusted one.  

The painted hubcaps/wheel covers lasted only two years ('68 and '69) as they started to peel within a few months of ownership.  My car was a bit over a year old when I took paint remover and removed the remaining paint from my '69's wheel covers, because they were looking very ragged around the edges.  The poor adhesion was due to little/no prep work on the stainless steel, and a total lack of primer.  When I re-did mine back to original in 2001, I first scuffed up the stainless with an aggressive Skotchbrite pad, then a self-etching primer meant for stainless steel trim, and finally a coat of Krylon Dull Aluminum.  They still look good after 19 years.  The trickiest part was masking the edge of the raised center section (per the originals).  I used the thin, plastic tape to delineate the edge, then ordinary masking tape to cover the slotted edges. 

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, VWJake said:

Those look like VW to me

You could be onto something...

Might be useful to give some background considering this is turning out to be quite the mystery. I recently purchased the remaining inventory of a European repair shop that closed down in the 80s. Lots of cool stuff, untouched for decades, and wicked dusty. The hubcaps were in the BMW section - surrounded by other 02 parts, some E9 stuff, E30, etc... I assumed they were 02, or at least BMW, but they could have been misplaced. There's also Porsche, Audi, VW, and Mercedes parts (albeit in different sections). Open the floodgates!

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock