• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-speed swap beginning tomorrow - any hot tips?

MattL

I haven't found it in any of the books, but the drivers side shift platform attachment bolt hole is drilled thru into the case.  You can discover this if the trans is filled prior to install and raise the front, oil will drain out that hole.  Use thread sealant on the bolt when the shift platform is installed.  The rear of the trans will have a lot less oil on it later in life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

10 minutes ago, MattL said:

Looks like I need to pick up some taller stands. 

?

CC327680-BC38-458F-8AFC-C07E82665744.jpeg

...or switch plans and get a glass cabinet for that clean beauty!

How are you going to fix the rear transverse mounts to the tunnel? Weld or bolt? In any case you should remove the sound deadener on the tunnel. Not such an easy job to remove the one-piece carpet out of a squarie if your car is one.

hen

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Henning said:

...or switch plans and get a glass cabinet for that clean beauty!

How are you going to fix the rear transverse mounts to the tunnel? Weld or bolt? In any case you should remove the sound deadener on the tunnel. Not such an easy job to remove the one-piece carpet out of a squarie if your car is one.

hen

I had actually JUST put my carpet back in after putting in new sound deadening mat and rubber insulation when I saw this cracked but repaired transmission from Resra. Couldn’t pass up the deal, but I do NOT want to take out the carpet again unless I’m forced to. So, I opted for the horseshoe bracket that uses the existing mounts. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Another harassing moment is when all is in and you discover the reversing light wiring has to reach the switch on the trans top now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I dont know if anyone has said this yet, but the 245 might not sit exactly center in the transmission tunnel .You might see it sit towards the drivers side a bit. You can get a it a adjustment by loosening your motor mounts, and prying things around, but dont sweat it to much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve done this twice in my little garage using jack stands and that same tranny jack.  I put tranny on cardboard on floor, then slide it under car, then pick up and put on tranny Jack.  I’ve since purchased two higher (taller) stands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Well, I didn’t get as far along as I had hoped before having to return to family duties, but I’m on my way. The car is up, and I’ve started disconnecting stuff. I’ll continue tomorrow night, if I have the energy. 

Thanks for all the pointers, everyone. I’m grateful, and will follow your advice. 

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Put zip ties or twist ties on the outward loops of the retaining spring before installing the tranny - when fighting to install my 5 speed I kept bumping the spring back into the housing (I was getting very frustrated...there was a lot of swearing)

Have the same jack. Place something non-slippery on the top of it before adding tranny - if not, metal on metal can be rather slippery, especially when you are fighting to line the tranny up with the motor. Note, having a 5 speed land on your outstretched arm hurts! Just saying.

Edited by JAS
  • Thanks 1

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)