• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-speed swap beginning tomorrow - any hot tips?

MattL

I’m going to start my swap to a 245 tomorrow. I’ve read everything I could find about the project, including all the FAQ topics and how-tos (at least 3 times each). Thanks a million to all the gurus here who have been so generous with their time and efforts in compiling this stuff. 

I have the transmission (thanks, @resra) and all the fixings (the Blunttech ultimate kit, etc.). Also picked up a transmission jack on sale at HB. Now I don’t have any excuse not to get the car up on stands and start working. 

That said, does anybody have any last tips or pointers for me? Anything they wish they’d done (I have the brass clutch pivot pin and a freshly resurfaced flywheel to put in)? I don’t need to get to get to TDC or anything prior to jacking it up, right?

I am the king of stupid mistakes, and this is a last-ditch effort to relinquish the crown before it’s too late. 

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

If you're the king I'm the jester but I did the swap over the winter into an auto car. You are dealing with the right people so far ( @resra and Blunt). The Bluntech kit works well. I used his driveshaft also and highly recommend it. Wanted to retain the existing mounts just because but ended up cutting them off because they were just in the way. I was trying to credit someone for this tip but couldn't find them -when installing the new trans insert long bolts in a couple of threaded holes with heads cut off to guide and support the trans as its going in. Slot with Dremel to remove with screw driver. Bleed the slave loose with the bleeder screw facing up. Replace everything in there of course. Clutch, seals, backup switch. There's more such as removing center link and aligning driveshaft but you've read probably everything.You can do it. Get the car safely elevated. You'll be going back and forth under there a lot.  Scope creep is inevitable for me anyway. Budget more than you think. I lined the upper part of the tunnel with matallized heat wrap using plumber strapping to hold in place.

• Thanks 1

Before removing the original transmission, turn the wheels either full lock left or right so the center link is at its lowest point.  You might have to fit the 5 speed tranny more than once. 

• Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

11 hours ago, MattL said:

Also picked up a transmission jack on sale at HB. Now I don’t have any excuse not to get the car up on stands and start working.

Set the 5spd on the jack before you raise the car to see how high you will need the car.!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, dirving said:

Bleed the slave loose with the bleeder screw facing up.

The clutch slave cylinder on a five speed transmission should have the bleeder facing down.  

The body is drilled such that the hole goes to the top of the cylinder, with the bleeder down where you can get at it.

Bluntech 5 speed shift kit - BMW 2002 and other '02 - BMW 2002 FAQ

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

12 hours ago, MattL said:

That said, does anybody have any last tips or pointers for me? Anything they wish they’d done (I have the brass clutch pivot pin and a freshly resurfaced flywheel to put in)?

I'd suggest the factory pivot pin rather than brass (I tried a brass pin once, and it was worn in a short period of time... compared to OEM pins which have lasted hundreds of thousands of miles). -KB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

I'd suggest the factory pivot pin rather than brass (I tried a brass pin once, and it was worn in a short period of time... compared to OEM pins which have lasted hundreds of thousands of miles). -KB

The transmission actually came to me with a brass pin in it already. Ordered another before I realized. 

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

2 hours ago, dirving said:

If you're the king I'm the jester but I did the swap over the winter into an auto car. You are dealing with the right people so far ( @resra and Blunt). The Bluntech kit works well. I used his driveshaft also and highly recommend it. Wanted to retain the existing mounts just because but ended up cutting them off because they were just in the way. I was trying to credit someone for this tip but couldn't find them -when installing the new trans insert long bolts in a couple of threaded holes with heads cut off to guide and support the trans as its going in. Slot with Dremel to remove with screw driver. Bleed the slave loose with the bleeder screw facing up. Replace everything in there of course. Clutch, seals, backup switch. There's more such as removing center link and aligning driveshaft but you've read probably everything.You can do it. Get the car safely elevated. You'll be going back and forth under there a lot.  Scope creep is inevitable for me anyway. Budget more than you think. I lined the upper part of the tunnel with matallized heat wrap using plumber strapping to hold in place.

I saw the headless bolt trick, too (and also have forgotten who recommended it.) Did you have a tranny jack at your disposal? I was hoping having the jack might let me get away without doing the bolt thing. I’m quite lazy, you see. ?

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

1 hour ago, jimk said:

Set the 5spd on the jack before you raise the car to see how high you will need the car.!!

This is definitely the kind of thing I needed to hear! Thanks! You’ve saved my family and neighborhood from a pretty lengthy stream of creative profanity. 

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

Before removing the original transmission, turn the wheels either full lock left or right so the center link is at its lowest point.  You might have to fit the 5 speed tranny more than once. 

Got it. Danke!

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Hi Matt. I did not have a trans jack. Cobbled one up with a trolly jack and some wood. A trans jack will undoubtedly make things go more smoothly. You will still probably have to jiggle it around to engage the splines. Good advice here from others.

• Thanks 1

Make sure the driveshaft and tranny are aligned properly.  Once everything is all bolted up, rotate the driveshaft and observe the guibo:  if it appears to wobble, something isn't aligned and your guibo will give out after 5k or so miles (ask me how I learned this little tidbit!).  Check archives on how to align the entire driveline; it's adjustable.

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, MattL said:

I saw the headless bolt trick, too (and also have forgotten who recommended it.) Did you have a tranny jack at your disposal? I was hoping having the jack might let me get away without doing the bolt thing. I’m quite lazy, you see. ?

A trans jack certainly makes installation easier, but the engine wants to wobble around on the mounts.  The bolts give a target to hit before the trans input shaft makes it to the pilot bearing.  The last two times I did an install, I used a tie down strap wrapped around the engine with a board across the fenders to stabilize the engine and to keep the engine's nose up.  It wants to tilt down while wrestling with the trans.

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

And don't forget to leave the transmission in gear. You will want to rotate the output shaft to help engage the clutch splines as you are offering up the transmission in the mating ritual. Some people suggest a little lube on the input shaft splines but obviously if you overdo it that lube has the potential to sling off and find your clutch disc. 

• Thanks 1

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold