• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-speed swap beginning tomorrow - any hot tips?

MattL

On 4/26/2020 at 4:01 PM, jgerock said:

Please put the throw out bearing, cross bar and retaining spring inside the bell housing before going any further- and extend the stock reverse light wiring harness.  

I’m glad you mentioned this. I have a new 320i throw out bearing, but hadn’t even thought about the clutch fork. It didn’t come with the transmission, so I’ll be ordering a fork and retaining spring. Thanks for the nudge. 

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

since you are using one of those craptastic horse's ass rear mounts, make sure to keep checking it regularly after install to watch for when it starts bending the stock tunnel mounts down causing the guibo alignment to go out.  that is assuming you can get the back of the trans aligned correctly with that mount.

or you could just do it correctly now with trans out and put real mounts in the tunnel.

just sayin'.....BTDT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2xM3

On 4/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, MattL said:

I had actually JUST put my carpet back in after putting in new sound deadening mat and rubber insulation when I saw this cracked but repaired transmission from Resra. Couldn’t pass up the deal, but I do NOT want to take out the carpet again unless I’m forced to. So, I opted for the horseshoe bracket that uses the existing mounts. 

Stop.  You bought Blunts ultimate mounting kit but you’re going to use the u shaped mount attached to the stock 4 speed mounts in the tunnel?  Not advisable.  Strongest method is bolt on brackets that are supplied in the kit.  Also BTDT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, mlytle said:

since you are using one of those craptastic horse's ass rear mounts, make sure to keep checking it regularly after install to watch for when it starts bending the stock tunnel mounts down causing the guibo alignment to go out.  that is assuming you can get the back of the trans aligned correctly with that mount.

or you could just do it correctly now with trans out and put real mounts in the tunnel.

just sayin'.....BTDT.

But how do you guys REALLY feel? ? Seriously, though, thank you for the emphatic input. The Blunttech kit actually arrived without a bracket, and the use-of-existing-mounts aspect of the Jackass bracket appealed to my sense of efficiency *cough* LAZINESS * cough*.  So, I asked Blunt to send one of those instead. I’ll go ahead and order the Gallant bracket and see if I can foist the Goofus model off on someone less susceptible to peer pressure than I. 

• Haha 2

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

I have the same tranny jack and am about to do a 245 intall also.  I don't think the jack will extend high enough into the tunnel with the side strap mounts on, I'm going to cut mine off, the strap gets in the way anyway.

It's easy to line up the tranny output flange/guibo to the driveshaft if you bolt up but not tighten them all the way.  Leave about 1/8" gap and rotate the d/s, the wobble will be easy to see and correct by CSB manipulating - up/down side to side.

I also have the Blunt Ultimate kit, is there a thread on how to install said mounting brackets?  I couldn't find one. TIA.

6 hours ago, mlytle said:

just sayin'.....BTDT.

Thank you indeed for that point, Marshal.

In my opinion the transmission has a certain weight and if not supported as close as possible to its rear end, the U-shaped bracket will work like a lever to the factory mounts.

What about getting an angle drill, setting carefully 8 holes and inserting threaded rivets M6? 2nd hand mounts should be available, I took them out of parts cars for 20 years now.

hen

(has also been there)

Just a quick update: I emailed Blunt this morning, and he already has all the parts on their way to me, at what seem like wholesale prices. That guy doesn't mess around. 

• Like 1

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Concerning the U shaped brackets. I have used that for my install.  I understand that it can act like a lever,  so I can see the concern about the stress placed on the standard mounts.

What I cannot find doing a quick search here is that if the bracket actually does does that.

I felt this was a decent option because it was an easier install, (less money for me) plus, what happens if/when my 5 speed gives out and I wish to re-install my 4 speed? 

Is there a way to add support to the U bracket, or is it actually necessary? 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

make doubly sure that you measure the drive shaft length! I made the mistake of 'trusting' them to send the right length. WRONG....The one I got from Ireland was SHORT and was pulling/distorting my Guibo badly'backwards'....!!!!  I spent a full day wrestling the gearbox and diff (and center bearing) forward on their mounts. It took every bit of the available slots to shorten that distance 

ps: def' sh*tcan that horse sh*t rear mount. My first 5 speed car I bought came with one of those flimsy mounts. The gearbox blew off it's mount doing 75 on the freeway. I lost control and rolled the car 3 times and landed in a lake upside down....................................

If you have to weld I'd weld...or take the time to pull

that one section of carpet and 'deadening and drill holes (with slots)

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

I understand that it can act like a lever,  so I can see the concern about the stress placed on the standard mounts.

What I cannot find doing a quick search here is that if the bracket actually does does that.

Of course it does, it has a torsional load iand it is approximately (in ft.lbs torque) the downward force of the transmission at the rubber mount / (3.15 / 12) .  Whether it bends the tunnel brackets, it would depend how much of a bump the car might go over.

Edited by jimk
Fixed the math

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Concerning the U shaped brackets. I have used that for my install.  I understand that it can act like a lever,  so I can see the concern about the stress placed on the standard mounts.

I felt this was a decent option because it was an easier install, (less money for me) plus, what happens if/when my 5 speed gives out and I wish to re-install my 4 speed? 

Is there a way to add support to the U bracket, or is it actually necessary? 

yes, it will most definitely bend down.  it is not just theory.  mine did in pretty short order.   the other issue with those u brackets is that they assume the factory installed the tunnel mounts perfectly level....which is a poor assumption given manufacturing 50 years ago.  if the tunnel mounts are not perfect, the u bracket will not be the correct height at the transmission mount.

while the u bracket looks cheap and easy, it is just a bad engineering solution.  doing it the right way is just not that hard.  install trans, align driveshaft, install support bar, mark where holes for new mounts need to be drilled, install.  done...the right way.

bonus..without the old tunnel brackets in the way, it is a lot easier to install the trans.

LOL! why would anyone ever want to reinstall a 4spd after doing the conversion? 

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

44 minutes ago, mlytle said:

bonus..without the old tunnel brackets in the way, it is a lot easier to install the trans.

+1 on that.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

47 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I have to say there is a HUGE amount of information on this swap on this site.

No doubt about it. But the argument against the cantilever bracket here is more compelling than I’ve seen elsewhere. I sure feel I’ve been saved from a very poor decision. 

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs