• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Performance Radiator

tomphot

I'm planning on installing the high performance radiator Wallothnesch has .. https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/radiator-with-high-cooling-rate-with-original-diamensions-11-31-14.html

In older threads, it was mentioned the bottom hose was different.  I sent WN a message asking which hose was needed for this.  They told me it accepts the standard hose.

Anyone have recent experience with this?

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I believe they’re right, Tom.

The W&N HD radiator has a “straight out” lower hose outlet and they sell a hose for that arrangement. Many (most?) ‘02’s, however, have an angled lower outlet that, coincidentally or intentionally, provides better clearance for the A/C compressor. An angled lower outlet permits one to use the angled-outlet hose sold by BMW. As long as you do not have A/C, you shouldn’t have a problem.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Many (most?) ‘02’s, however, have an angled lower outlet

The early cars have that straight lower outlet--not sure when the change was made, and REALOEM is no help.  But I do know that the radiator in my Dec 72 production 73 has the angled lower outlet, as do all the later cars that I've seen.  So both style lower hoses should be readily available.

I was given to understand the change was made to provide additional clearance between the lower hose and the belt and compressor when A/C was fitted, but I've seen plenty of early cars with A/C and a straight outlet.  And RealOem shows a specific "air conditioning" lower hose with a kink in it to provide more clearance.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, tomphot said:

Rads upto 74 had a 45 degree fitting "beside" the lower tank.  74-76 had the straight fitting, like the W&N rad.  You'll need the straight "L" shaped hose.

779328084_WN_Rad3.jpg.43c6aa6692607644be07b103076126b2.jpg

If you have air conditioning you'll need to research a little more.  

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

5 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Rads upto 74 had a 45 degree fitting "beside" the lower tank.  74-76 had the straight fitting, like the W&N rad.  You'll need the straight "L" shaped hose.

779328084_WN_Rad3.jpg.43c6aa6692607644be07b103076126b2.jpg

If you have air conditioning you'll need to research a little more.  

I don’t agree with you on this issue, Paul. My ‘76 came with the angled lower radiator fitting, and my “spare”, dated late 1975, has the angled lower fitting. I’m in the “Mike S. camp” on this issue: early cars had straight, later cars had angled.

So, when we installed a W&N HD on the ‘76 last year, we pulled a square taillight radiator out of Korman’s old parts pile — I know it was a square taillight radiator because it had brackets for the fan shroud — and transferred both the shroud brackets and the angled lower outlet to my new W&N.

Radiators are generally dated. But so many have been switched by now — even my ‘76’s succumbed to pinholes on the upper tank — that I assume a radiator is not original unless the stamped date supports that claim.

The ‘76 has factory A/C! I’m kidding, but it does have A/C. So I assumed, before I ordered the W&N, that I’d swap the lower outlet to the angled version. The W&N is... amazing, far exceeding the capacity of my ‘76’s original radiator, including three re-cores: two triple-core and one latest-technology double-core.

That’s where I’m at!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Their claim that it is "original dimension" is true only in 2 of the 3 dimensions. It bolts right in and may be the same dimension in height and width but it is definitely thicker (depth). This reduces clearance with the fan.

Also, plan on tossing your fan shroud, there is no flange to mount it.

IMG_1602.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

10 hours ago, tech71 said:

Also, plan on tossing your fan shroud, there is no flange to mount it.

IMG_1602.JPG

You can remove the shroud brackets from your old radiator and put them on the W&N. And no one will know you don’t have an OEM radiator. ?

Regards,

Steve

4120E639-88BB-4A24-B01B-C88FD881C0C0.jpeg

86B6AD2B-7681-412A-A7AA-A3365A6DAA94.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I don’t agree with you on this issue, Paul. My ‘76 came with the angled lower radiator fitting, and my “spare”, dated late 1975, has the angled lower fitting. I’m in the “Mike S. camp on this issue: early cars had straight, later cars had angled.

Isn't that interesting.  I never replacing my rad.  I guess the PO may have.  I've always thought mine was the early version and it doesn't have any fittings or indication that a shroud was ever present.

I stand corrected.

Does the "straight fitting" rad have the drain in the same place?  Searching for a pic....

DrainCock_sml2.jpg.c181ea4f68eb3517838dec3b7c48c87b.jpg

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

6 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Does the "straight fitting" rad have the drain in the same place?  Searching for a pic....

Yep--with that same goofy 8x1mm plug.  Try to find a drain cock with those threads!

mike 

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

20 hours ago, tomphot said:

I'm planning on installing the high performance radiator Wallothnesch has .. https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/radiator-with-high-cooling-rate-with-original-diamensions-11-31-14.html

In older threads, it was mentioned the bottom hose was different.  I sent WN a message asking which hose was needed for this.  They told me it accepts the standard hose.

I'm not sure what the costs are v. custom or  even if that is consideration  for you, If not I would suggest you may want to contact Patrick @ Midnight Motorsports, His custom rads are excellent, and they look pretty good too. 

Mike Joy engine install and ancillaries, fall 2017 (1).JPG

Mike Joy engine install and ancillaries, fall 2017 (2).JPG

Mike Joy engine install and ancillaries, fall 2017 (3).JPG

Mike Joy engine install and ancillaries, fall 2017 (11).JPG

Mike Joy engine install and ancillaries, fall 2017 (12).JPG

Mike Joy engine install and ancillaries, fall 2017 (13).JPG

Mike Joy engine install and ancillaries, fall 2017 (15).JPG

I didn't have an original radiator when building my car last year, Picked this Champion radiator off Ebay for $125, Put a 12" electric fan on front of it. I almost never turn the fan on even when idling, Temp stays just under middle of gauge. Bolted right in with no alterations

2002 Engine Bay2.jpg