• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What rims/hubcaps to put on 1976 2002?

HarryBMW

I have desperately been looking for dish-style rims in good condition like the ones you see on 1600's, but have not been able to find them. While I do not like the original 1976 2002 rims or Alpina racing rims, I am hoping to find something that suits the car and looks good.

At this time I am uncertain what to look for. So, my question is: what kind of vintage rims/hubcaps could I look to and where could I find them?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, esty said:

start by deciding what you want...i believe there is a huge thread here with a million pictures of wheels...then place an ad on the parts wanted forum

2002 wheels

these are original to your car  - original.jpg.08269005dcc0690ffecf7eb26aae3550.jpg

But @esty

@HarryBMW said "While I do not like the original 1976 2002 rims or Alpina racing rims..."

@HarryBMW are u using diving board bumpers or going for the Euro Look

You may have been looking at too many ROW 1502 brochures that show 1502 SpongeBobs with dog dish-tyle hub caps. I have to agree it's a great look, however not EZ 2 find

In My Humble Opinion, that wheel combo would look wrong in my eyes if you kept the stock North American specification big bumpers. How about some Bottle Caps? Or Bottle Tops? Or some Roundie Factory Alloys still available new (if they are in your budget)????

Edited by golf73

You cannot go wrong with a nice set of the original stock wheels , preferably that came with the car when new...unless of course it's an i3

BMW-i3-Wheel.jpg

• Haha 4

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

1 hour ago, golf73 said:

But @esty

@HarryBMW said "While I do not like the original 1976 2002 rims or Alpina racing rims..."

@HarryBMW are u using diving board bumpers or going for the Euro Look

You may have been looking at too many ROW 1502 brochures that show 1502 SpongeBobs with dog dish-tyle hub caps. I have to agree it's a great look, however not EZ 2 find

In My Humble Opinion, that wheel combo would look wrong in my eyes if you kept the stock North American specification big bumpers. How about some Bottle Caps? Or Bottle Tops? Or some Roundie Factory Alloys still available new (if they are in your budget)????

I actually got the original bumpers taken in close to the body but did not remove them. So while they’re not “diving boards”, they aren’t euro style replacements either. 

I agree that the diving boards with the dish rims would look very odd. I decided to go with the stock 76 rims. Having them sand blasted and powder coated/painted to look like new. Now I just need the center BMW badge for each rim. My originals are faded. 

Could you link me to the Roundie example you’re referring to?

Edited by HarryBMW

17 hours ago, esty said:

the e-21 turbines look great on any year car...imho and easy to find, relatively cheap or used to be

Sure. Not an ideal ET for 02, like E21 steelies, or E30 wheels, but look better on SpongeBobs IMO. I was actually kinda serious about having them on an i3 - a passing cerebral fantasy.

They're probably still cheap, but who knows, as E21's are starting to get their due respect

Edited by golf73

38 minutes ago, mosman58 said:

do these have the right offset?

Yes, the E30 bottlecaps fit great and provide more tire choice in 14 inch.  I really like the E30 steel wheel option for our cars, cheap man's borrani look-alike.

Mark92131

344d0d656b38d64d7a2e2857c417bb38.jpg

• Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)