• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 tii

JLENHAM

I always thought that anthrazitgrau metallic was a 75-76 color, I've never seen a 74 02 in this color...

These mid-year color changes have that effect.

Anthrazitgrau-metallic first appeared in the February 1974 paint and upholstery brochure (below), filling a spot on the color chart freshly vacated by Turkis-metallic! We’ve seen a couple April 1974 Turkis cars, so it apparently takes some time to ramp down the outgoing colors and ramp up the incoming colors. The tii that is the subject of this thread is a July 1974 example.

Best regards,

Steve

E2A76E46-029F-49FD-A7EA-D995465AF86E.jpeg

88BA0AC9-7AB7-48ED-ABF0-2605C0706F9B.jpeg

13494C36-FC2E-4ED9-B672-E69D2D8111CE.jpeg

C7E77A5C-901C-4544-A421-A9671245F51D.jpeg

D56F3E8D-A603-4685-82C3-F44ACE879E41.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Progress from this weekend, removed the fuel tank and started the cleaning process, still in the works but I think I can get it clean enough by hand to be used for trying to get the car started.  

The body around the tank looks pretty good.

Next weekend I will crawl under and get to the fuel pump.

012.JPG

007.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

41 minutes ago, JLENHAM said:

Progress from this weekend, removed the fuel tank and started the cleaning process, still in the works but I think I can get it clean enough by hand to be used for trying to get the car started.  

The body around the tank looks pretty good.

Next weekend I will crawl under and get to the fuel pump.

012.JPG

007.JPG

That's the inside of your fuel tank? Oh my.

FWIW, I dumped 10 pounds of old nuts, bolts and washers (some people use chains) in my tank, taped up the openings, created a swinging hammock of sorts with a tow strap, and hung it from my overhead garage door rails. I then turned up the stereo and did the watusi, the twist, the monkey and the hokey pokey, all the while shaking the tank from side to side, upside down and backwards looking like a jerk. (get it? the jerk? lol) I did this as long as I could for more than a few sessions, rotating the tank in the hammock to get all 6 sides. LOTS of rusty crap came out.

After I stopped getting particles out, I bought a few gallons of EVAPORUST and soaked the tank, rotating it to get each and every side. This took a day or two I think, at least. Then the rinsing began. Lots of rinsing. Then drying and drying and drying.

In my case, I then treated the tank with RedKote because I had some seam leaks. This is another process unto itself.

Good luck!

Nick

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

And Octavo wheels, should have 100+ and or GB wheels somewhere on the face, they will scrub up well!

But I’m biased?

you’re going to love a Tii, well because it’s a Tii......???? sorry nearly kept a straight face.

Welcome, great board, great folks and a fantastic resource.

319DEA4B-5CDA-4075-9718-964FE92CFAAD.jpeg

86377B74-5468-491C-BD18-118A9AD4EE14.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 1:30 PM, NYNick said:

That's the inside of your fuel tank? Oh my.

FWIW, I dumped 10 pounds of old nuts, bolts and washers (some people use chains) in my tank, taped up the openings, created a swinging hammock of sorts with a tow strap, and hung it from my overhead garage door rails. I then turned up the stereo and did the watusi, the twist, the monkey and the hokey pokey, all the while shaking the tank from side to side, upside down and backwards looking like a jerk. (get it? the jerk? lol) I did this as long as I could for more than a few sessions, rotating the tank in the hammock to get all 6 sides. LOTS of rusty crap came out.

After I stopped getting particles out, I bought a few gallons of EVAPORUST and soaked the tank, rotating it to get each and every side. This took a day or two I think, at least. Then the rinsing began. Lots of rinsing. Then drying and drying and drying.

In my case, I then treated the tank with RedKote because I had some seam leaks. This is another process unto itself.

Good luck!

Nick

I had heard about dropping a chain in to the tank, and may do that yet.  The "hammock" is a great idea.  I was looking around my garage for some motorized device that I could turn on and leave unattended that would shake the tank for me, but never came up with anything.  For now I think I am clean enough to use to get the engine running.  Thanks!

On 1/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, SydneyTii said:

And Octavo wheels, should have 100+ and or GB wheels somewhere on the face, they will scrub up well!

But I’m biased?

you’re going to love a Tii, well because it’s a Tii......???? sorry nearly kept a straight face.

Welcome, great board, great folks and a fantastic resource.

319DEA4B-5CDA-4075-9718-964FE92CFAAD.jpeg

86377B74-5468-491C-BD18-118A9AD4EE14.png

Nice!  Good inspiration right there!

• Like 1

Not much time in the garage this past weekend, but the car did give birth to the old fuel pump.  Next weekend I hope to test it, and work my way up to the fuel filter and get the lines blown out to the back of the car.  

015.JPG

5 hours ago, JLENHAM said:

Not much time in the garage this past weekend, but the car did give birth to the old fuel pump.  Next weekend I hope to test it, and work my way up to the fuel filter and get the lines blown out to the back of the car.  

015.JPG

Probably a good thing to do on all of our cars!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

17 hours ago, JLENHAM said:

015.JPG

Your hard fuel lines are still original? That's awesome.

I replaced my fuel pump with an in tank pump per Steve at Bluntech's suggestion. Having it under the car is just a dumb design.

You're gonna need new gaskets for the tank and the filler neck as well.

Keep at it!

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Yep, keeping a running  list of various parts and seals that will need to be ordered for the car to be on the road.

My daughter stopped by today and helped me remove the old fuel filter and we got the lines blown out back to the fuel pump location.  We also removed the air filter housing and worked on the rube goldberg contraption know as the throttle linkage.  The ball joints had all seized but freed up after some spraying/removal/pushing/pulling.  The lever at the injection pump moves easily. I pulled the lid off the "tuna can," some rust in there too, but got that freed up as well.  

Finally, hooked the fuel pump up to 12v and was greeted with a nice hum.  Still have to see if it actually pumps fluid.  

I was able to see one coolant hose (runs to the back of the injection pump?) that appeared to be eaten in half by some creature... so I won't be running the motor for long!

I still need to do a few checks at the K-pump to feel good about trying to start it.  Replace some soft lines...  Anxious to hook up the battery just to see some electrical life, but need to take my time.

Great fun!

A few more photos from this weekend.  Screen at K-fish is clean.  I pulled the spark plugs, they looked OK, gave them a quick cleaning.  Distributor cap and rotor (oooo, someone upgraded to the "rev limiter" type,) look good.  Pulled the valve cover and checked all the springs, etc, and a visual down into the chain valley.  

Couldn't resist hooking up the battery, some lights work!  And got the engine to turn over a few times in that slow way that only those original starters turn over.

The mission this week is to pick replacement fuel line and filter and be ready to put all that back together next week.  Might get close to trying to start it.  

058.JPG

057.JPG

045.JPG

042.JPG

• Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 2:32 PM, JLENHAM said:

I was able to see one coolant hose (runs to the back of the injection pump?) that appeared to be eaten in half by some creature... so I won't be running the motor for long!

Just a word of warning. 

All the hoses connected to the KF pump and Warm Up Regulator should be in good condition before start up.  There is coolant flow, fuel and oil return lines that will gush otherwise.

Keep up the good work.  You're bringing back memories of past tii resurrections.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958