JLENHAM

1974 tii

49 posts / 3020 viewsLast Reply

Hey All-

I am in possession of 2782377.  The car has been sitting in a garage for over 20 years.  I am friends with the owner and we have worked out an agreement that hopefully will get the car back on the road, future ownership TBD.

It is rough around the edges, but the body is sound in the right places.  Generally it looks to be fairly original with the exception of the radio, steering wheel, road wheels and maybe, the sunroof.  I have attached a few photos, anyone have any thoughts on the sunroof being original to the car or not?  There appear to be two drain tubes one on each side that come out around the height of the bottom of the window.  The overhead light is not centered in the head liner, it is over the driver's door and it has a motor/switch installed to operate it.  Obviously the motor/switch is not original.

Top priority is investigating the condition of the motor and working through to get it running, so the sunroof is just a curiosity.  I did find a sticker for Lott's Auto Stereo-Auto Upholstery in Santa Cruz, the are still in business at that location so I dropped them an e-mail to see if they had any records.  Car is now in North Carolina.

Should be fun to see if I can get this car moving again.

Thanks, John

064.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

019.JPG

023.JPG

(edited)

Congratulations and welcome! These cars are simple and hard to kill, so I suspect you’ll get it going again! Even the Kugelfischer mechanical injection tends to work when it should be dead, e.g., from sitting 20 years. It may leak, but it may work nonetheless!

The sunroof, however, deserves comment!  The headliner material is certainly not original. It looks more like something out of a Mercedes. The sliding steel panel also looks a bit large — but could easily be compared to a factory ‘02 sunroof if a member posts the dimensions of a factory sunroof.  The area forward of the sunroof (inside the car), however, is so “clunky”, intrusive, and contrary to a factory installation that I would guess — before I even see those drains — that the sunroof was installed post-factory, and, further, may not have been originally designed for a BMW.

A few years back we saw, on this forum, an ‘02 that had had a Mercedes sunroof installed in the roof. It was, however, beautifully and perfectly executed, and created an enormous opening, one I envied. Perhaps if (or when) your headliner is removed, we’ll get further clues.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

(edited)

WRT the sunroof:  there was a roundie '02 here in the Dayton area with a sliding steel sunroof similar to the one pictured, but just a little smaller than the factory.  It was a Golde (same manufacturer that BMW used) and it was electric.  There used to be companies in the US that were authorized by Golde to install sliding steel sunroofs, and supplied a kit to the certified installers that was meant for a particular car.  Those generally had a small protrusion at the 12 o-clock position visible from the inside (not on the outside) that apparently hid some of the mechanism.  Check the picture an you'll see it.  Factory sunroofs had a straight-across leading edge inside the car, with the crank handle in the middle, just forward of the opening. 

If you're lucky, there may be some paperwork with the car that verifies.  It's also pretty obvious that the roof has been repainted as it's not held up nearly as well as the rest of the car--and I'll bet you'll find part lines on either the A or C pillars.

Hope you can get it running and back among the living...

mike

PS Those look like Octavo wheels, and a Nardi steering wheel...

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

John,

Where in NC are you located?  I'm in Charlotte and have a 74 Tii.

Glen

666A0965.JPG

• Like 1

(edited)

Glen is over yonder, and my 74 tii is way over in the other yonder .....

Get it running, the driving is definitely worth it !!!!!

image.thumb.png.492a82ba9023d4b51491e8df2dd7ed6d.png

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 3

Very nice John. Dome light above driver's side was for non-sunroof cars. What was the cars original color? 

I'll say it for everyone, "we want more pics".  Now that's a cowl notch!

• Like 3

Welcome to square tail light tii ownership.  If you have problems getting it started,  send your injectors and injection pump to Jerry Fairchild  http://www.fuelinjectioncenter.com/index.htm  Quick turnaround and great pricing.  There is lots of info in the FAQ pages on making an 02 roadworthy after a long term storage.  I assume you've already found this page and soaked up the info.from someone who's been there, done that.    http://www.my2002tii.com/      Here's my 74 tii, needless to say, Keith inspired me to do the diving board to Euro bumper conversion.

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, welcome to the '74 tii group.  Start recording you questions.  2002FAQ'ers have all the answers - good, bad, and ugly.

Larry

IMG_5333.thumb.jpg.afbaa06888ddb8029d9454161d0777c3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies all, I love the 02 community!

The sunroof will make for an interesting investigation.  I cleaned out the car when it was delivered to my garage, no records.  My friend who will maintain ownership for now, bought it off a car lot in the 80's I believe without knowing much about it and without any history.

Good call on the Octavos.  They are the "100+" model.  Spare too, with classic Pirelli tire still mounted.

I am in Winston-Salem.  I have owned a '73 (non-tii) for quite a while.  I have met Mike at The Vintage on several occasions. 

Original color (and what is left on the car) is anthrazitgrau, interior is tan.  

Great resources for the fuel injection, thanks!

I will attach a few more pictures here, but happy to provide specific photos too.

Let the debate begin on the struck through VIN on the body!  All the other VIN numbers (steering column, engine block, door sticker and riveted plate match)

Cheers, John 

027.JPG

016.JPG

026.JPG

054.JPG

075.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, welcome to the '74 tii group.  Start recording you questions.  2002FAQ'ers have all the answers - good, bad, and ugly.

Larry

IMG_5333.thumb.jpg.afbaa06888ddb8029d9454161d0777c3.jpg

There's a 74 tii group? I feel so alone.

• Like 2

There's a 74 tii group? I feel so alone.

It's the defacto standard.  If you don't own one, you are inferior.  But notice tii owners don't go out when it rains for fear of water getting up the nose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's the defacto standard.  If you don't own one, you are inferior.  But notice tii owners don't go out when it rains for fear of water getting up the nose.

Hey Hey Hey.....watch it now....

(edited)

Is it because I refuse to endorse people doing full gainers off the diving board bumpers that I have never been invited to join?

IMG_0926.jpg

Edited by NYNick
  • Like 1

image.png.cb10f65a9abbcfbab4d69580cdfb54e0.pngI don't think I've ever seen a crossed-out VIN before!  Wonder what the story is behind that.  It appears the riveted VIN plate matches the right-hand number but those plates can be changed.  What does the plate on the steering column say.  Hopefully the 2377 number matches the title...

mike

• Like 3