• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Half shaft bearing covers -- what am I looking at here?

Dug Nichols

Hey guys

Pulling out the seals for the half shafts I found them to be quite difficult to get out. Not completely stiff, but definitely not coming out as a complete unit (both sides). I used a screwdriver to work out bits at a time, and have gotten to the point in the photos.

From looking at diagrams in manuals it appears that there should not be a metal lip like I'm currently seeing, having removed all the rubber. Is what I'm seeing an inner part of the seal itself and then I just need to figure out how to get this remaining bit out? Seems that way but wanted to double check. Also any tips appreciated on removal -- heat + ?. 

Thanks!

Dug aka Otto

(diff newb)

IMG_3497.thumb.jpg.b4b2dba2009d4f4bf8d0b24a84ac384c.jpgIMG_3496.thumb.jpg.52f25ee5cff0e6c0d7b9a11ad26fb115.jpg

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Looks like the metal frame of the seal is left behind...I just did mine...use a large socket or metal tube to drive that piece out using a strong vice...or beat it out with a hammer if you have to... Mine were stuck hard...needed full strength to turn the vice and get it moving.

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

vice - immoral or wicked behavior

vise - metal tool with movable jaws

Could someone advise me how to devise a device to separate my vices with vises?

?

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

4 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

( I miss @ray_ )

Perhaps he will chime in with some vice vise advice?  I bet he's too busy working on his new presidential bid, though. ?

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

2 hours ago, zinz said:

Could someone advise me how to devise a device to separate my vices with vises?

?

Yeah, one makes your nuts feel real good?and the other makes them feel real bad?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944