• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golde Sunroof Deflectors

Driv3r

24 minutes ago, mike said:

Originally these deflectors came with four plastic pieces that were attached to the four "bumps" on the underside, leading edge of the sunroof panel.  You have to drill holes in the inner sunroof sheet metal to install them.  They bear against the plastic pieces on the deflector itself to prevent rattles.  AFAIK those bits are still available from Porsche.

Steve--thanks for the explanation of when they were available from BMW dealers; I don't remember ever seeing a 2002 with one until I came across one in a 76 sitting in a country junkyard east of Oklahoma City back in the early 90s.  And that's still the only one I've seen that actually came with the car.  Both my '02s have deflectors salvaged from Porsche 911's back in the early 80s, and they fit perfectly with no modifications.  

mike

PS--if yours doesn't pop up as you open the sunroof, a little lubrication will help.  I have to lubricate mine every year or so to keep 'em moving properly

But note, Mike, that Ted (Einspritz) found a pop-up unit at a dealership in ‘76, long after I could find found nothing but plexiglass deflectors at BMW dealers in southeast Pennsylvania. That pop-up deflector could have simply been hanging around in inventory for a few years, or it could be that some dealers were able to obtain a wider selection of factory accessories.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

31 minutes ago, mike said:

Originally these deflectors came with four plastic pieces that were attached to the four "bumps" on the underside, leading edge of the sunroof panel.

Didn't know that.  Luckily I haven't had any rattles or binding.   Just a satisfying "snic" when it pops up.   I'd be reluctant to drill holes as well.  Think I'll stick with the status quo and enjoy it as is.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

34 minutes ago, Conserv said:

or it could be that some dealers were able to obtain a wider selection of factory accessories.

Was the pop-up deflector ever shown in any of the US accessory catalogs?  I have a very early catalog (actually a brochure) that I got when I bought my car in May '69,and a couple of later ones from '72 or 73 and they're not shown--only the fixed plexi ones.

Doncha love this trivia?

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Was the pop-up deflector ever shown in any of the US accessory catalogs?  I have a very early catalog (actually a brochure) that I got when I bought my car in May '69,and a couple of later ones from '72 or 73 and they're not shown--only the fixed plexi ones.

Doncha love this trivia?

mike

The only 02 catalogue I have is this. But it’s probably euro.

5f7a22474e13d873560020fc8b407353.jpg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mike said:

Doncha love this trivia?

mike

Mike,

I’ve also never seen the pop-up deflector in a U.S. accessories catalog.

It seemed to me, back in the ‘70’s, that there were times when a U.S. customer could purchase Euro-spec parts and accessories, if you knew they existed and either had a part number or could get the person at the parts counter to look it up. At other times, I recall being told “Sorry, we can’t get that part because it’s not U.S. market.”

Perhaps, and this is pure speculation, the pop-up deflector was one of those parts never officially sold or marketed in the U.S., but sometimes available if you knew what to order or ask for....

Best regards,

Steve

8 hours ago, Driv3r said:

The only 02 catalogue I have is this. But it’s probably euro.

5f7a22474e13d873560020fc8b407353.jpg

Yes, this is a Euro catalogue. But fun! I always loved the “replaceable-in-the-field windshields”.  Has anyone ever seen one in person? I have not, but here’s a great image of one in place.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 7:53 AM, Conserv said:

They were all dealer-installed, or installed later. They were not a factory option. 

Regards,

Steve

I regard Steve as a expert on the marque, and have never questioned his information and/or opinions, until now.  

My family picked up two 2002's at the factory, a '71 and a '73, and both had the Golde deflector the day they rolled out of the factory. 

Unfortunately, vacation pictures that would show this have been lost in a sibling dispute... also, my '74 tii  came with one.

When i first read on this forum how "rare' they were, I thought people were joking! Every 2002 that I  have been associated with has had them...our first BMW, a 1600, did not.

Edited by otisdog
added the "e' to golde.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

there were times when a U.S. customer could purchase Euro-spec parts and accessories

Sort of yes and no. I had to buy mufflers, a differential, a turbocharger, and various small parts from the dealer that serviced my Turbo in England for the PO in the late '80s. So, no.

Then it was allowed, then not allowed unless you registered your VIN with registration and driver's license for parts to that specific car.

So while I was probably the last guy to be able to purchase say, EVOIII brake ducts and other EVO parts for the E30 M3, not now through the local channels. Used up that last "special favor call" to BMWNA loooong ago.

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

but sometimes available if you knew what to order or ask for....

Or "had a guy" at the local dealership or "had two guys" in England and Germany plus the Maximillian channel.

Before "the Internet" my Father was able to source (supposedly the last one worldwide at the time) a new one piece dash from Singapore through a "guy who knew a guy who searched the local dealership".

I hate say it, but relationships are everything in finding obscure parts. You want to help each other out in the community because you never know who will reproduce that sunroof deflector.......or inflatable windshield......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

My family picked up two 2002's at the factory, a '71 and a '73, and both had the Golde deflector the day they rolled out of the factory. 

Interesting.   Again, the euro market?  Cars bound for the US and Canada may not have been fitted and thus the accessory option.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

50 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

can someone post up a link to Stan's deflector? 

You can PM him from here:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/142054-golde-sunroof-wind-deflector/?tab=comments#comment-932262

or stanDOTchamallasATmeDOTcom

or phone: six-oh-three-three-nine-seven-eight-oh-seven-four.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3 hours ago, otisdog said:

I regard Steve as a expert on the marque, and have never questioned his information and/or opinions, until now.  

Unfortunately, vacation pictures that would show this have been lost in a sibling dispute... also, my '74 tii  came with one.

When i first read on this forum how "rare' they were, I thought people were joking! Every 2002 that I  have been associated with has had them...our first BMW, a 1600, did not.

I’m always happy to learn something new! ?

So, were they standard equipment during some periods? Occasionally? They were never listed on ‘02 brochures as an option (‘02 brochures, as distinguished from the accessory brochures). I’ve never seen a window sticker showing a line item. ? And why do most sunroofs not have them? I knew they existed by 1974, when I sought one for my 1970, but I couldn’t purchase or even find one.... ? Are they more common outside the U.S. market?

Where to begin? We’d need a lot of data we don’t currently have. My early ‘70 (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969) did not have one. So do they appear post-September 1969? But my ‘73 tii (VIN 2762757, October 19, 1972) came to me with an old one in place. As the 4th?, 5th?, whatever owner, however, I can only tell you that it’s old.  But does it date to October 19, 1972, or some random later date in the 1970’s?

Thanks, otisdog, for crushing my tidy little world... ?

Befuddled...

Steve