• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Engine History Article

Rich

Really good history of the M10.  The author makes a good point about the crossover to what became the platform for BMWs survival and ultimate success.  Owning a Neue Klasse 1800 has been a terrific learning experience and has made me appreciate the importance of that model range.  Not only did it introduce the M10 but also MacPherson strut front suspension and semi-trailing arm independent rear suspension.

I do see one error regarding the early M10 cam oiling.  My NK 1800 with a 116 cylinder head used a hollow cam with holes on the back side of the lobes to oil the lobe/rocker interface.  The is no spray bar present and indeed no hole in the center cam boss for a spray bar.  Not sure when the change over to the spray bar occurred as my NK parts book is hard to decipher in that regard.  I do know the 118 head used on the 114 series 1600 had the spray bar.  This fact is crucial if you're putting a later cam into a 116 head.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

...and at the other end of the spectrum, I've only seen 1.6i and 1.8i heads after 1979- 

as far as I've seen, there was no 'redesign' after the mid- model refresh for the E21.

I love things like that.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 hours ago, TobyB said:

...and at the other end of the spectrum, I've only seen 1.6i and 1.8i heads after 1979- 

as far as I've seen, there was no 'redesign' after the mid- model refresh for the E21.

I love things like that.

t

Is it true the 1502s came with a 1600 and never a 1500?

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Is it true the 1502s came with a 1600 and never a 1500?

Not quite. The 1500 was a 1500 cc engine 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M10

it was a different bore / stroke combo to the 1600 engine. 

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

37 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I know the 1500 had a 1500, I was referring specifically to the 1502. The article lists the 1502 as having a 1600.

I was fairly confident that the 1502 (November 1974-77) used a 1.6-liter engine, de-tuned for low-test gasolines.

There’s a 1502 brochure somewhere around here....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I was fairly confident that the 1502 (1974-77) used a 1.6-liter engine, de-tuned for low-test gasolines.

There’s a 1502 brochure somewhere around here....

Regards,

Steve

I'd love to see it. One problem with Wikipedia is people forget that it's not authoritative. One person's mistake becomes a citation and suddenly you get people calling our cars "E10s" ?

• Like 1