Rich

M10 Engine History Article

14 posts / 665 viewsLast Reply

Nice article but it has one of my pet peeves. Chains use sprockets, not gears. 

Really good history of the M10.  The author makes a good point about the crossover to what became the platform for BMWs survival and ultimate success.  Owning a Neue Klasse 1800 has been a terrific learning experience and has made me appreciate the importance of that model range.  Not only did it introduce the M10 but also MacPherson strut front suspension and semi-trailing arm independent rear suspension.

I do see one error regarding the early M10 cam oiling.  My NK 1800 with a 116 cylinder head used a hollow cam with holes on the back side of the lobes to oil the lobe/rocker interface.  The is no spray bar present and indeed no hole in the center cam boss for a spray bar.  Not sure when the change over to the spray bar occurred as my NK parts book is hard to decipher in that regard.  I do know the 118 head used on the 114 series 1600 had the spray bar.  This fact is crucial if you're putting a later cam into a 116 head.

...and at the other end of the spectrum, I've only seen 1.6i and 1.8i heads after 1979- 

as far as I've seen, there was no 'redesign' after the mid- model refresh for the E21.

I love things like that.

t

7 hours ago, TobyB said:

...and at the other end of the spectrum, I've only seen 1.6i and 1.8i heads after 1979- 

as far as I've seen, there was no 'redesign' after the mid- model refresh for the E21.

I love things like that.

t

Is it true the 1502s came with a 1600 and never a 1500?

37 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I know the 1500 had a 1500, I was referring specifically to the 1502. The article lists the 1502 as having a 1600.

I was fairly confident that the 1502 (November 1974-77) used a 1.6-liter engine, de-tuned for low-test gasolines.

There’s a 1502 brochure somewhere around here....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

11 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I was fairly confident that the 1502 (1974-77) used a 1.6-liter engine, de-tuned for low-test gasolines.

There’s a 1502 brochure somewhere around here....

Regards,

Steve

I'd love to see it. One problem with Wikipedia is people forget that it's not authoritative. One person's mistake becomes a citation and suddenly you get people calling our cars "E10s" ?

• Like 1

Jim G. posted the brochure on multiple occasions, such as:

And, yes, 1.6 liters.

Regards,

Steve

Hmm,  the middle picture on the bottom of the second page certainly looks familiar.

My picture of my 73tii engine from my PBucket account.  Now I know why they call it "public".

injectorsmounted.jpg