• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 2002

SirJojo

21 minutes ago, SirJojo said:

also being a 76, what's the chance that the government will make it smog exempted??

Slim and None...  We have been hoping that they would re-instate the 30 year rolling exemption in CA, but it doesn't appear that will happen anytime soon.  If you buy it, plan on removing those Webers and spending a ton to get it through emission testing.  Didn't realize it was the blue one, not the white one.  Well bought for someone out of state, not a good car for CA, look for a 75.

IMHO,

Mark92131

Edited by Mark92131
  • Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

3 hours ago, SirJojo said:

so with the Weber there is no way to pass smog?

With dual two-barrel Weber sidedrafts? No. I believe there is a single two-barrel Weber downdraft that was certified by the California Air Resources Board. But besides swapping carbs and intake manifolds, and re-tuning the car for low emissions, you’d need to have an original 1976 emissions system installed to pass the visual test.

I notice that the seller still has a Colorado title for the car. Hmmm....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

In June 2017,  a repaint was commissioned at a cost of $6k with one layer of clear coat applied over five coats of Deep Sea Blue...

I love 'details' like this- anyone who's ever painted is left with the distinct impression that

'they don't know what they're talking about, or they REALLY messed that one up!'

t

2-3 coats base, 2-3 coats clear...

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

In the old days of lacquer, the "multiple-coats" fish stories were meant to imply that the car was painted and sanded repeatedly to achieve ultimate smoothness and help correct imperfections from stamping etc. without the use of bondo, not that the layers were actually built up. There are a lot of three-stage paints out there, so one could say primer/surfacer, sealer, color base, pearl, clear, and clear (so it can be cut and buffed well) is "five coats" but gawd, I can't imagine five or six coats of color.

16 hours ago, Conserv said:

With dual two-barrel Weber sidedrafts? No. I believe there is a single two-barrel Weber downdraft that was certified by the California Air Resources Board. But besides swapping carbs and intake manifolds, and re-tuning the car for low emissions, you’d need to have an original 1976 emissions system installed to pass the visual test.

I notice that the seller still has a Colorado title for the car. Hmmm....

Regards,

Steve

So how can someone lives in California and still retain an out of state license?  Is that legal?

21 minutes ago, SirJojo said:

So how can someone lives in California and still retain an out of state license?  Is that legal?

It is until you're caught!

• Haha 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

In the old days of lacquer, the "multiple-coats" fish stories were meant to imply that the car was painted and sanded repeatedly to achieve ultimate smoothness and help correct imperfections from stamping etc. without the use of bondo, not that the layers were actually built up. There are a lot of three-stage paints out there, so one could say primer/surfacer, sealer, color base, pearl, clear, and clear (so it can be cut and buffed well) is "five coats" but gawd, I can't imagine five or six coats of color.

Yeah, the tales of '20 coats of lacquer' are so... quaint, huh?

And the 'No Filler Anywhere' cars:

"So, did you just put the base over the epoxy layer?"

'No, no, no, it was properly epoxied, at least 4 coats of high build primer, then a sealing layer, then ....'

Really, the biggest difference between 'high build primer' and most fillers is... how you apply them.

I had thought maybe it was a single stage that'd been cleared, but hell, even 3 coats of single 

is laying it on pretty thick.

Meh.  It DOES look pretty.  And for 6k, if it's still adhering well and looking good, that's a fair deal.

t

can't afford material anymore.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Smog is an issue, seller obviously couldn’t get it registered here.  Out of state cars must be registered within 90 days, it doesn’t have its 76 smog equipment and it won’t pass visual or emissions testing.  Find a 75 or earlier.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix