• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need opinions...'74 tii

Wexler

13 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

Polaris factory paint started failing driving off the lot, and turns yellow in engine bay, door jambs, under hood and deck lid. Looks like the respray just didn't include the engine bay, except for the nose panel because that should have yellowed too, unless they painted or replaced.  Is that a rusted weld just in front of the bolt for bumper mount on subframe, don't think it should be there.  Just looks like the owner takes really good care of it by first glance.  Is that an open bag of charcoal on the passenger side and comes with the car? If so go for it.  Get VIN# 278xxx, and based on gray strut caps, built in early 74'. Am I sounding like Conserv Steve now!

+1

You nailed it, Steve T.!

Steve C.

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It looks to be a nice relatively unmolested 74, I wouldn't worry too much about the nose if the inner fenders and frame look good, nose replacement was pretty much the standard for even the smallest  bit of damage when these cars were new.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Welcome to the FAQ non-lurking status

(I'm currently getting a very similar car back on the road : 74tii, Polaris / Blue / Sunroof / AC / 5 Speed).  Your can search my posts which will have lots of photos for comparison of basically the exact same car. 

Things to think about

> Snorkel - most likely (98% chance) its a replacement nose.  Some people car about this greatly, some don't give a damn.  

> Photos of the underside - this is most important.  I don't think there is anyone on the page that would buy a car without these.  Shock Towers, floor pans, pedal box area, and frame rails are all areas of concern.  

> Pre-Purchase Inspection - worth the money.  Folks on this page can point you towards reputable shops throughout the country.  My guess from a quick glance is that you're paying more than $15,000 for the car, so spending $100 - 250 for a PPI is a no-brainer (my opinion).

> The seat look a bit saggy / understuffed.  Yes, you can put foam in there, but if you want "original" style correctly fitted horsehair gummi padding it will set you back more than you think, (around $2,000 I believe).    

I would also post as many photos on this board as possible, there are many eagle eye'd folks on here

• Like 1

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

10 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Steve, you're a good sub!! All Polaris cars have at least some yellowing under the hood. Personally, I like it. It's kind of like a time stamp for me.

Wexler, ask for pics of the nose, particularly the brazed seams where the fenders and nose meet. I would guess more 2002's have had nose repair than not by now. 

What part of the country is this car located? Looks like a quality driver from the pics.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'm just blowin smoke, or smokin blow based on everything I've learned from FAQ.  I did hit the century mark in my # posts in just over a year, so it will take me a while to catch up to Jim and Mike in the 10K+ post club.  Again, it looks like a dry and solid car, no bubbling paint in 25 years?  Perhaps everyone is googling 74 Tii for sale right now trying to find out where it is.

• Like 1

Always look for the best 02 body you can find, mechanical work is child's play compared to rust repair and body restoration (unless you have welding expertise or deep pockets). Like others have said, we need to see pics from underneath to assist in judging the car and a PPI will help aid your purchase price negotiation with the seller.  Looks decent from the pics I've seen and the crack free dash is a huge plus. It looks unmolested and the snorkel on the car is not an issue in my book. If you buy it, you have a blank canvas to work with. Here's my 74 tii (after diving board to Euro bumper conv and side marker delete).

G-Man

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Internet says charcoal is a remedy to dehumidify moisture and eliminate odors, even in cars.  So would that indicate the owner is OCD about potential moisture issues, or there already are moisture/odor issues present?  Either way, I'm going to throw a few briquettes in my spare tire well.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

Internet says charcoal is a remedy to dehumidify moisture and eliminate odors, even in cars.  So would that indicate the owner is OCD about potential moisture issues, or there already are moisture/odor issues present?  Either way, I'm going to throw a few briquettes in my spare tire well.

I don't know, Steve. I heard that the seller's nickname was "Barbecue Bob"!  ?

Best regards,

Steve C.

• Haha 1

Wexler,

Do not pay so much attention to the presence or absence of a "snorkel". OK, maybe a little...very little.  Many more important things to consider.  Those of us who have a tii with a "snorkel" (speaking for my self mostly) pay probably no attention to it whatsoever.  That evil tunnel was never a sticking point for me.  Re-read '76 and Conserv comments. 

More important than +/- a "snorkel" is the fact that it is a tii in what appears to be good shape.  Obtain more photo (especially the historical rust points) and proceed.  Good luck.  We hope you join group.  If you do, we'll teach you the secret handshake.

Larry

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2002#2 said:

If you do, we'll teach you the secret handshake.

Larry

Wait, Larry....there’s a secret handshake? I guess you guys are sending me a message!  Or maybe it’s still in the mail.... ?

Edited by Conserv

This board is great!  Thank you!

My concern is that weld on the bumper mount.  That seems pretty obvious.  Under the premise of begin with the end in mind, one day when I go to sell, that too could be an issue in negotiation.

I’ve asked for pics from under the car, nothing yet.  Yes, seller said the charcoal was to absorb exhause smell - has a slight leak.  Also, dryer sheet to curb mice making a home in the car.  

He told me about the exhaust, the seats need stuffing and that he’s never had it on a rack...but seemed caught off guard with the nose-work question.  Claims to have records from original owner...but as I am coming to find with these cars (that copart ebay car freaked me out) each car has it’s own story...some, unfortunately ugly.

I’m looking for a black and tan tii that is largely stock/original with no ugly back story.

50 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Wait, Larry....there’s a secret handshake? I guess you guys are sending me a message!  Or maybe it’s still in the mail.... ?

They didn't show you the secret handshake?

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...

The only other thing I'd add is checking the VIN on the block matches the VIN on the car.  Again, doesn't *really* matter for a driver, but it's a price difference...

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

1 hour ago, Steve Tochi said:

That's a different type of charcoal!  Look for some storage dessicant bags (ex., 

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/storage+desiccant+bags.do)

large.jpg

• Thanks 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

21 hours ago, Wexler said:

This board is great!  Thank you!

My concern is that weld on the bumper mount.  That seems pretty obvious.  Under the premise of begin with the end in mind, one day when I go to sell, that too could be an issue in negotiation.

I’ve asked for pics from under the car, nothing yet.  Yes, seller said the charcoal was to absorb exhause smell - has a slight leak.  Also, dryer sheet to curb mice making a home in the car.  

He told me about the exhaust, the seats need stuffing and that he’s never had it on a rack...but seemed caught off guard with the nose-work question.  Claims to have records from original owner...but as I am coming to find with these cars (that copart ebay car freaked me out) each car has it’s own story...some, unfortunately ugly.

I’m looking for a black and tan tii that is largely stock/original with no ugly back story.

If you want a factory black tii — with factory saddle (‘72-‘73) or beige (‘74) interior — and no back story, you could have a long wait. For some reason, unknown to me, factory black ‘02’s are rare, particularly in the U.S., and some of the small number of black cars produced came with black interiors. Throw “tii” on top of the black exterior demand and you probably just narrowed your potential cars to a handful of cars, back in the day, few of which survive and none of which is currently for sale...

You can obviously make your own black tii, but I’m guessing — and I could be wrong — that you’re not a color changer. I’m not. Most of the black ‘02’s I’ve seen in the U.S. were color changes, so much so that as soon as I see a black one, I assume it was a color change and accept the black only when I’ve seen the report from BMW Archives.

Free info from BMW Archives will tell you the answer. Just email the VIN to Archives and request their data on the car (info,grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). The two important pieces of data you’ll get are the manufacturing date and the original color.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1