• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blinker Light Stays on (but dim)

ClayW

<Seinfeld voice> What’s the deal with these blinkers?

i used the hazards for the first time in forever yesterday and, after turning them off, the “B” light on the dash will stay on, though dimly. When I use the turn signals, it blinks between full brightness and completely off, but returns to “dimly on” when I turn off them off. 

The wiring harness and blinker are early 12V (6 fuse), from a ‘69 1600, completely stock except for the blinker unit, which is the modern cylinder style. I’ll probably replace that first. 

Any ideas?

00E076E6-CF62-448E-BD66-18ED96559646.jpeg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

You have grounding short in the system. I'd suspect the flasher relay, as you have mentioned.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I had the same issue when I changed all of my dash bulbs to LED. Changed that one bulb back to the original and haven't have a problem since.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

The OEM flasher box has a pair of contacts inside--one for the outside lights, the other for the inside one.  Your aftermarket one may work in one of several ways.  It also may be built only to carry the load of two bulbs at a time; when you use the emergency flashers, that's four bulbs and you may be overloading it.

Suggest returning to the OEM flasher box; they don't go bad very often so you should be able to find a used one on the FAQ.  The problem with the OEM ones is the inside light will only blink once or twice, then go on strike.  But that's an easy fix.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Did you inspect the screws holding in the blinkers? Make sure they are not rusty and they are tight. My car did this exact same thing.

Also check the wiring inside the housings of the lights, especially the front lamps. I’m 90% sure it’s a ground problem.

Remember, ”All roads lead to the hazard switch”

Edited by Jbaumshelter

6 hours ago, Jim_75Sahara said:

My blinker is intermittently and unpredictably staying lit and then mysteriously behaves for a little while. 

Probably the point set in the flasher box that operates the dashboard blinker.  Easy fix--bring it over and we'll get it working properly.

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, mike said:

Probably the point set in the flasher box that operates the dashboard blinker.  Easy fix--bring it over and we'll get it working properly.

mike

I challenge someone here to show me the second set of contacts inside the stock relay. Picture or video pointing to both. I can only see one set inside my 69 and a 71 relay.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Here’s one (not sure it is the same model relay as you have). 

74F17E6B-C235-4815-BBEA-2436B0009508.thumb.jpeg.3a075f56c0b4a973c3252cc01a7c0801.jpeg

Indicator lamp contacts circled at the top, the main contacts are underneath the large coil with the arrow. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 hour ago, Simeon said:

My '69 and my '73 still have their original flasher control boxes, and they look like Simeon's inside.  People have posted on the FAQ that theirs have only a single set of contacts, and those may be from another supplier--or possibly not OEM. 

I think the way to tell would be to activate the turn signals and either position a mirror or have a friend watch the outside lights while you sit at the steering wheel.  If the outside lights and the dash flasher blink in opposition, then you have the two relay points box; if they blink together, then there's only a single set of points in the box.

mike

15 hours ago, Simeon said:

74F17E6B-C235-4815-BBEA-2436B0009508.thumb.jpeg.3a075f56c0b4a973c3252cc01a7c0801.jpeg

Indicator lamp contacts circled at the top, the main contacts are underneath the large coil with the arrow. 

I can post pics when I get back to the East Coast. Both my relays do not look like this one. Same BMW part number but have different dates on the plastic housing.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 7:51 PM, Jbaumshelter said:

Did you inspect the screws holding in the blinkers? Make sure they are not rusty and they are tight. My car did this exact same thing.

Also check the wiring inside the housings of the lights, especially the front lamps. I’m 90% sure it’s a ground problem.

Remember, ”All roads lead to the hazard switch”

Interesting. The behavior didn't occur until I used my hazard switch for the first time in forever. I swapped out the blinker unit and now it blinks constantly (though, only the dash indicator, not the actual turn signals). I'll pull the turn signal housings and clean grounds their first. If that doesn't fix it, could it be in the hazard switch?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog