• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Control Arm Bushings

Afternoon fellow FAQers. Have been getting my suspension ready to go back into my car lately with little to no problems, until it came time for the front control arm bushings. Have been using the PVC pipe bolt and washer method successfully but these last two bushings just dont want to go in. After getting the one in 3/4 of the way and not being able to move it any further I took the arms into the local shop and said I would pick them back up in 4 days when I get back from work. Arrived at the shop yesterday and my control arms were sitting upfront with no progress other than the edge of the bushing all torn up where I assume they tried to push something in to help motivate it through.

Not sure what I should try next - pull em out and get a new set from Blunt or just buy new control arms.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to hearing your throughts.

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

I have pressed in bushings on many cars over the years and never had issues...
When I went to press in the bushings on the o2 the first couple fought me so I just decided to order poly bushings from Ireland.
The ease of installation with the multi piece bushings were worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, 2002newb said:

Not sure what I should try next - pull em out and get a new set from Blunt or just buy new control arms.

I have NOS control arms that are 20 yrs old for my project. I am waiting to pick up new rubber to replace the OE. I have never had your issue before, and as others have noted if the shop used lube, e.g. simple green in a spray bottle. AND a tool, whether it be the PVC setup, stacked sockets, or even the "proper tool". It looks like they tried to use a press, in which case just distorts the rubber if you don't go past where it should be and then let hysteresis pull it back.

In the end, it depends on what your time is worth and your already sunk cost in those bushings and the $Time you spent on the shop.

Also, are your current arms rusted?...then new is the way to go.

New are "grab 'n Go", bushings are "lather and repeat". Either way, I am not a big fan of urethane bushings for the street; and I didn't need them on the track.

Used tons of lube and the other bushing went in without any real problems. For the price of the rubber bushings I might just try the last one and see how it goes, then if it can get it in will just buy a new set for the one that is stuck. Getting so close to getting this car on the road I want it done NOW lol

Thanks again

i bought new arms because I had read how much of a pain it is to do these without a press. Some even bend the arms using a press. I sold my old arms to offset the cost of the new ones. I did notice that after I did them, the cost of the new arms jumped by a lot. It might be worth the struggle now.

mike tunney

I'm not a fan of urethane suspension bits or mounts on street driven 2002s, but I chose to use them in my control arms.

Even as a professional 2002 mechanic dude, I found that pressing in stock BMW rubber bushings was a miserable task, and often damaged the bushing in the process.

After 7 years and countless miles, my urethane ones are still quiet and comfortable for daily street use. No squeaks. It's what I recommend to customers. Reasonably priced, and I use the front subframe urethane bushings, too - since they're in the kit anyway. Other than that.... I find urethane to be miserable and obnoxious on daily driven cars. 

FYI: I use a 3.0 / bavaria/CS ROUND engine mount on the driver's side of my cars. Slightly larger and firmer, but still rubber. Transmits slightly additional vibration inside cabin, but that doesn't bother me. YMMV

• Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

If i ever have to do these again it might be all urethane as the instal seems easier. Buckeye that was the article that was the most help trying to put these things in. Other than this one set the rest went in relatively easy once the process was figured out. 

As always thanks for the info folks

Lube and, oddly enough, heat from a hair dryer or similar-

NOT the paint stripper you used to get them out,

just enough to get them a bit too hot to the touch.

Sil- glyde, wire pulling snot, whatever, use a lot of it.

Much as I dislike silicone for other reasons, it works well for this.

I have also done the 'wrap that rascal' trick, with bailing wire, and that worked.

I think one problem we're facing is that these things are made in batches,

and then they sit on the shelves.  Sometimes for years.

They don't get any softer as this happens....

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have changed every suspension and diff bushing on my cars to urethane and I have recommended others to install them also. I along with many others have liked the feel and the control these bushings give to the 02’s. Plus they are cheaper and easier to replace when they do wear out. Not just my opinion on this topic.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just swapped out the bushings on my control arms the other day. Rented a ball joint press from the parts store and it spun them out with ease. The rod on the press is the perfect diameter for pressing the bushings out.

Tim

'72 2002 Verona

I need to do this, I think. The report from my local shop says "all 4 tie-rods and center linkage have heavy play." I intend to do it myself with help from a smarter friend. I need to assemble a parts list, first. besides the rubber bushings, what else do I need? I want to avoid tearing it apart and learning I need to order more parts. your recommendations are welcome.

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I would change your idler arm bushings also while your renewing your steering. Readjust your wheel bearings as needed also. You can replace your lower control arm ball joints. All these parts are directly related to steering.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk