• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Can An M10 Turbo Kit Be Found?

dude54

Honestly I don’t have a horse in the race. I was just chiming I’m on some complexities of the N20 swap that I read about because I think that would be a great power plant for an 02 if it was an easy enough option. 250 hp and a 6 speed with modern reliability. Who doesn’t want that?  For probably less $$ than that engine alone you can also do an Turbo M42 and get 250 to the wheels on a modest tune.  With AC. There are a few on this board running.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

To each their own. To each their own budget. 

There's are many cool modded 2002's out there. There are also many 2002 abandoned projects for sale.

For many,  once you swap an engine, you change the dynamics and character of the car.  Some feel for the better some feel  for the worse. 

No horse in this race either. It's your car and do what you wish. 

You can decide to engine swap BMW-BMW, BMW-Honda, BMW-whatever. 

There are also kits for infidels :blink:to swap their BMW engines for LS crate motors etc. 

But do what you wish. Research what the estimated expense/time etc is for your upgrade-swap is ...and double it.  

Take what your investment is into the car and cut it by 75% if you wish to sell it. 

Do whatever you wish to make it your car,  and make it a pleasure to drive for you. 

Keep us informed of what you decide and what happens. 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

No horse in this either, but we have a 228i with the N20.

I think this motor would rip a 2002 in half.  Granted, ours is running a tuner with a 'test pipe', but still-

Cleaning the intake ports is a pain in the ass.  And you will need to clean them.  The direct injection literally has no gas in the intake to clean as it passes through, and the big issue- the way BMW sorted the EGR.  Instead of having a hose running around the outside, they just open the intake cam a little during the exhaust stroke to allow some of the spent gas to go back up the intake.  So hot exhaust gas all over a cool intake tract, gumming everything up.  It's nasty.  I haven't had to do the BMW yet, but her turbo Mini was terrible.

Speaking of which, if one was hell bent on this type of swap, I'd seriously think about the 1.6 turbo out of the Mini.  I think the torque curve would be much more appropriate to the 2002...  And they use them in the small, rear wheel drive BMWs in Europe, so transmissions are available...

There's a difference between twin turbos and a twin power turbo.  These cars have the latter, which is a single turbo.  Marketing at it's finest.

Me?  I like natural aspiration and big revs.  I think an S2002 would be really interesting.  But I'd need to drive a regular S2000 first.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

19 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

To each their own. To each their own budget. 

There's are many cool modded 2002's out there. There are also many 2002 abandoned projects for sale.

For many,  once you swap an engine, you change the dynamics and character of the car.  Some feel for the better some feel  for the worse. 

No horse in this race either. It's your car and do what you wish. 

You can decide to engine swap BMW-BMW, BMW-Honda, BMW-whatever. 

There are also kits for infidels :blink:to swap their BMW engines for LS crate motors etc. 

But do what you wish. Research what the estimated expense/time etc is for your upgrade-swap is ...and double it.  

Take what your investment is into the car and cut it by 75% if you wish to sell it. 

Do whatever you wish to make it your car,  and make it a pleasure to drive for you. 

Keep us informed of what you decide and what happens. 

Cheers! 

I think that this is a very good point. You can build a car that is what you want. You can buy a car (model)  that is what you want, or you can buy a car and make it into something it was never meant to be. 

I think that it gets dangerous when we start thinking that our little 02's are a Camaro or Mustang, where putting a different motor into it really isn't a big deal.... i.e restomod.   But the people that own and drive the 02's love the fact that they aren't big  American tin, me included.  There is an ass for every seat, and a 02 with a Chevy V8, or an s2000 motor is simply a rolling contradiction, fun but largely unnecessary.

Jeremy Clarkson said it best.  Europeans built cars to fit the roads, Americans made roads to fit the cars. If you feel the need for a highway crushing 0-60 monster,  long distance cruiser, with oodles of passing power, a BMW 2002 is not for you.  if you want one of the most iconic, super cool, "b road barnstormers", with a unique, kind and caring community of fans that is rarely matched with any other car, then welcome to the Club.

They are tons of fun between the lights, great in the corners, simple to work on, and largely still accessible by everyone, regardless of their station or status in life. This is what attracts people to these sort of cars, and it is what people find so much fun to be a part of. 

So feel free to do what you like, but perhaps think about answering a question with your BMW 2002 (and your money) that nobody really cares to ask.

• Like 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

8 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Jeremy Clarkson said it best.  Europeans built cars to fit the roads, Americans made roads to fit the cars. If you feel the need for a highway crushing 0-60 monster,  long distance cruiser, with oodles of passing power, a BMW 2002 is not for you.  if you want one of the most iconic, super cool, "b road barnstormers", with a unique, kind and caring community of fans that is rarely matched with any other car, then welcome to the Club.

First of all I'll start with yes I Did A Swap, 76 stockie for a built Tii clone motor......

My Tii runs great and is a total kick to drive. Fast, Yes for 1976...Fast for 2017? Not so much, I think most Hyundai's can rollaway on the freeway. Here's the deal though, the 2002 is FUN while driving 25-65 mph, my 2015 turbo sedan does not have a similar fun factor.

Every day in the 2002 is a FUN adventure, even when its got an issue, fixing the problem is usually fun because it was so easy 

5a1b779b9712c_76eng.jpg.2edd2115fd7424101bb69bd031d55d9f.jpg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

4 point roll bar, bucket seats, and 6 point harnesses. 

Add a HANS to that.

I did not, and 10+ years later, still very much regret it when I try to turn my head to the right...

Also, make sure your rear damping is at least as soft in rebound as the front.

The inside t9 wall moved about 6"...

And yes, F20C's have been put into 2002s.  

I thought about it for a while for an SPU car.

A 240 hp M10 is an expensive, fickle beast,

but the F20C will run all day, all year, and could then

be had for less than a stock M10 rebuild.  Transmission attached.

It's horses for courses- when you start with a ratty, incomplete

shell, do whatever the hell you like with it.  Wankel?  LS9?  Warp9?  Go for it.

Have a nice, complete '72 tii?  Don't you dare!

And anyway, you could sell the tii now and buy a LOT
of parts to build whatever your steampunk dreams might demand of you...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Add a HANS to that.

I did not, and 10+ years later, still very much regret it when I try to turn my head to the right...

Also, make sure your rear damping is at least as soft in rebound as the front.

The inside t9 wall moved about 6"...

t

Good advice. Thanks. I bought a similar device for mountain biking and hated it, but I suppose I'm (hopefully with the harness and seat) not moving around as much as I do on a downhill bike, so it shouldn't feel as restrictive.

Something else for me to research over the winter...

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Don't think you need a HANS ?

Turn 2, at the old Texas Motor Speedway.  Driver in a '67, 911S, the Alfa  ended up at a shop in Austin to try to repair... ugly.

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Case in point, here is a LS powered 73 Bavaria, nice, fun, but $15K top bid today won't even start to cover the cost. It will have to sell for about $45K to break even I expect. There were apparently only 8K of these made in this model year.  Which would you rather have? this or a close to stock one?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-bavaria-3/

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

11 hours ago, TobyB said:

Do whatever you can to get off the line, as soon as you can, too...

...and keep the motor running!

ouch. 

t

If you are going all the way around, keep the clutch in. Get her pointed in the right direction and MOVE off the line ASAP!

44 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Case in point, here is a LS powered 73 Bavaria, nice, fun, but $15K top bid today won't even start to cover the cost. It will have to sell for about $45K to break even I expect. There were apparently only 8K of these made in this model year.  Which would you rather have? this or a close to stock one?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-bavaria-3/

So one day in, it's already at the concours level valuation for a 73 Bavaria? We'll see where it closes next week, but that seems like a good start. I'd be surprised if it got to your $45k build cost estimate, but with 6 more days to go, I'd also be surprised if it doesn't go up quite a bit from the current bid.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1973-BMW-Bavaria

And for the record, I'd take this LS version over a stock M30 powered car. I'd put some more appropriate seats in it though. 

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel