• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AFR: Pictures of Bung Placement Please

14 hours ago, bob02 said:

Hi JMiller,

What transmission do you have in your car? I like that the fill plug is on the d/s.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob, That's a standard 4-speed.  I can't tell you what year, only that it's not original.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Man, I guess it's been a while since I had a 4speed.

I'm in Paul's situation now, trying figure out how to weasel the sensor into the downpipe of a supersprint exhaust, so thanks to all who posted pics!

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

10 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

If I remember correctly, my AEM AFR gauge had a prescribed installation angle... but I forget and can't find the directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

min. 10 deg angle from horizontal plane. Says my AEM manual.

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

1 hour ago, tzei said:

min. 10 deg angle from horizontal plane. Says my AEM manual.

Meaning on the side of the D/pipe but slightly elevated from horizontal?  That would make sense for any condensation forming on the sensor, I guess.  Also, easier to re&re, as opposed to vertical, on top of the D/pipe.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

After killing two sensors after only 18 months each,

I have mine angled slightly above <edit> horizontal, and use 2 3x3" sheets of .120" copper splayed out back- to- back as a heat sink,

as I'm only 10" or so after the collector.  The copper keeps the sensors alive- if they

have to heat more to compensate, it doesn't seem to harm them.

But this is race car, so things get pretty warm in the exhaust department.

If you want a car that kills sensors, try an E30.  Those things spit so much water in the warmup cycle, I worry about the head gasket...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL