• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just me.....

joysterm

At least it sold.  (Reserve auctions are stupid).

The photos are sort of on the crappy side.

Two blurry pics of the engine bay from far away...

A bunch of weirdly lit close ups...

I suspect photo quality plays quite a role in generating interest.

To me, it seems like a more reasonable price than several of the recent sales.

Maybe the bubble has popped!

59 minutes ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

To me, it seems like a more reasonable price than several of the recent sales.

Maybe the bubble has popped!

Seems well-bought, from what we see.  I know my '74 tii isn't leaving home for that amount!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I guess I'm still a cheapskate- that seems like a fair price to me.  It looks like a nice square tii, in the 'pretty daily driver' category.

The silly money may have moved on... or just all be out on their boats, playing shuffleboard and swimming in the pool.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Price seemed fair to me.  Despite the re-covered seats, the engine compartment told me it was an uncared-for example with a cheap paint job.  How many decades must you ignore the engine compartment to make it look that shabby and dirty?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 hours ago, Conserv said:

Price seemed fair to me.  Despite the re-covered seats, the engine compartment told me it was an uncared-for example with a cheap paint job.

15 hours ago, TobyB said:

I guess I'm still a cheapskate- that seems like a fair price to me.  It looks like a nice square tii, in the 'pretty daily driver' category.

Tough room.  With a little more TLC that car will turn (more) heads.  Very clean at that price.  To this day I shake my head at the diving board bumpers.  They are so  huge, like bumper car bumpers.  That's one mod I'd HAVE TO do.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

My thought on that car was:

>It sold for about what I thought it was worth.

>What I usually think 02s are worth is a little low (living in the past), so my second thought was, "seemed kind of cheap".  

I think the 292 cam in a tii probably scared some people that are knowledgeable, and maybe scared more people who aren't knowledgeable.  

The paint was also sort of on the - I don't know - it didn't inspire confidence.  It was a nice-looking car, but I've seen many more 02s on BAT that were more appealing visually.  

Those two things - the "does this thing really run decent with that cam" and "hmm that paint is kind of strange" added up to me not being that taken with the car.  

I do think there is a roundie tax, so if it were a '73 it probably would have pulled in the $20ks, easily, especially given the BAT crowd that seems very pro-roundie when it comes to actual bidding.  Did the fact that it followed that other $37k square tail tii that didn't sell depress interest a bit?  I don't know.  

All I know is that there is a Golf roundie tii with acknowledged rust (possibly minor) on there now and bidding is over $20k with 5 days left.  The grey 1600 with the S14 is on there, too, at $17k with almost a week left to go.  I bet they will ring up some respectable bids in the end.  

And I've seen some of your '74 tiis (esp John in VA) and that BAT car wasn't anything close to the gorgeousness of yours.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

15 hours ago, Conserv said:

Price seemed fair to me.  Despite the re-covered seats, the engine compartment told me it was an uncared-for example with a cheap paint job.

Regards,

Steve

Agreed, as well as the trunk.

Lots of straight lines and original nose but agree with what the condition of the engine bay suggests. The rock guard coating along the full length of the body is unique...good way to hide repairs to the rusty bits or just someone being overly protective :P. All that said, a fair price. A little tlc in the right spots and a good photographer would have helped.

Cool thing for me -- it came off the line four cars behind my tii.

John

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)