• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

@rdeeble Sorry to see that happened. Hopefully you'll be back on the road in short order!

Puck02 yeah, you'll have to trim it to get it to fit. AceAndrews method is what my shop used. 

Today, I got around to tearing down the pedel box and brake booster assembly in order to refresh and paint. Will have to order a new booster. Also, shopping around for refresh kit for the pedel box for new springs and bushings.

• Like 2

I finished changing my tie rods and center link on my 73. Getting that center link out was NOOOOT easy! Torch, rotary hammer, various attempts with Autozone pullers... none were up to the task. If I was a character in Dante's Inferno, my hellish and personalized punishment would be taking off tie center links off of 2002s for all eternity. I found a puller tool on Amazon that finally worked for me. After the spring thaw I'll go for the alignment. I did my best to measure old vs new tie rod end threading, but I still think the short trip to the shop will be "interesting", I'm a little afraid of it to be honest. 

Oh, yeah I also got some shiny new lug nuts and center caps, so those went on the front as the car was jacked up. 

Edited by ricsix
  • Like 3

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz 2

67 912 Light Ivory

13 minutes ago, ricsix said:

I finished changing my tie rods and center link on my 73. Getting that center link out was NOOOOT easy! Torch, rotary hammer, various attempts with Autozone pullers... none were up to the task. If I was a character in Dante's Inferno, my hellish and personalized punishment would be taking off tie rod centers off of 2002s for all eternity. I found a puller tool on Amazon that finally worked for me. After the spring thaw I'll go for the alignment. I did my best to measure old vs new tie rod end threading, but I still think the short trip to the shop will be "interesting", I'm a little afraid of it to be honest. 

Oh, yeah I also got some shiny new lug nuts and center caps, so those went on the front as the car was jacked up. 

If you'r concerned about being off a bunch you can do a string alignment on it. Their  really easy to do  and pretty accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=string+alignment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pointless, ridiculous, etc.  but I love ‘em.  Wanted to match the interior handles, and who doesn’t need more speed holes?

tried to polish by hand, but then ended up getting them chromed!

thank you to Andrew at IE for moving the pedal faces over slightly. Thank you to Mr. Toler for the reference pic.

859DF667-85DD-4EDD-B748-675CFD35AF66.jpeg

C2B455C4-DD0D-4C99-8FB3-E5302AC9E05D.jpeg

69D93459-9479-4131-A9B8-3A76BBDF249E.jpeg

DF26C554-0368-4075-845A-3D9DBEDFB8E9.jpeg

• Like 19

55 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

tried to polish by hand, but then ended up getting them chromed!

thank you to Andrew at IE for moving the pedal faces over slightly.

That's some Gucci stuff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

6 hours ago, Annie2002 said:

Today I had my 2002, that I haven't seen in six years, put onto a trailer and it is now heading across the country, back to me. Going from CA to NH. I've missed that car so much. It'll be a lot of work to get it running again but I'm so excited!

Wow!

• Like 1

Made some progress on the refinishing of the suspension and subframe components, and started prep for my welder/body guy who's going to be repairing my rusted rear wheel arches/strut mounts.  Kind of scary looking, in fact as someone who doesn't do body work it kind of hurts my brain, but I'm hoping that for someone who knows their stuff this really isn't that big a deal.  I have donor rear wheel wells from another car.  Looks like someone tried to weld or repair these once before, looks pretty brutal!

image5 (2).jpeg

image4 (3).jpeg

image3 (3).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, M3Gonz said:

Made some progress on the refinishing of the suspension and subframe components, and started prep for my welder/body guy who's going to be repairing my rusted rear wheel arches/strut mounts.  Kind of scary looking, in fact as someone who doesn't do body work it kind of hurts my brain, but I'm hoping that for someone who knows their stuff this really isn't that big a deal.  I have donor rear wheel wells from another car.  Looks like someone tried to weld or repair these once before, looks pretty brutal!

image5 (2).jpeg

image4 (3).jpeg

image3 (3).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

I have almost the exact same suspension photos of my last build (63 TR4), can't wait to get to that point on my 02.  Quite a ways away at the moment.

Re-lubricated the window components. Was not happy with white lithium grease so I bought some Wurth HHS Plus. Much better!  The barrier sheet had a few sections missing so I did my best to patch the holes. Used up some of the 3M strip caulk leftovers from the heater rebuild. A59AC453-09D2-4048-8B9E-F552DF558F82.thumb.jpeg.fe554810f130445b3d69cd685dc75565.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 3:28 PM, ricsix said:

I finished changing my tie rods and center link on my 73. Getting that center link out was NOOOOT easy! Torch, rotary hammer, various attempts with Autozone pullers... none were up to the task. If I was a character in Dante's Inferno, my hellish and personalized punishment would be taking off tie center links off of 2002s for all eternity. I found a puller tool on Amazon that finally worked for me. After the spring thaw I'll go for the alignment. I did my best to measure old vs new tie rod end threading, but I still think the short trip to the shop will be "interesting", I'm a little afraid of it to be honest. 

Which puller did you buy? I’m curious what style works best. 

Flywheel, clutch, and transmission are now all on!   With lots of help from my boys.

Info:

-E30 single mass flywheel - lightened

-E30 M3 NOS Pressure Plate (little crusty visually)

-Custom Clutches - Kevlar/Organic Hybrid Clutch Disk

-E21 323i Throwout Bearing

-E21 323i Getrag 245 w/ later style input shaft seal, all new synchro's, seals, bearings (except the inspected layshaft bearing)

-- Had the machine shop balance the pressure plate at the same time they did the resurfacing.  Picked up the CustomClutches disk last week.  Really cool old-school shop now run by a young gun, high hopes there.  The disk turned out better than I'd hoped.

IMG-1259

IMG-1281

IMG-1282

IMG-1283

IMG-1300
  • Like 12