• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remanufacturing 2002 Parts

danco_

Hey guys,

Been working with local manufacturers and BMW lovers to make some harder-to-find parts that I personally wanted. After we got all the ingredients right and were finally happy with the results, we figured we'd make a few more to share in the bounty with our friends. We also wanted to recoup some of the expense that goes into producing these parts correctly, in the US, and at a quality level much higher than what is offered elsewhere. We understand that the market is very limited, entirely finite, but we follow through so we can all have cool parts for our cars. It's one of those "labour of love" type things. 

One of items that we have successfully recreated, and to a much higher quality level, is the stock seat escutcheons. These particular pieces surround the back seat levers, that allow passengers to gain access to the rear bench seat. This part is primarily for stock 2002 and coupe seats. Being as the factory only produced these in a brittle plastic (many of which have cracked into oblivion or no longer exist on the stock seats), we decided to re-engineer these out of aluminum stock, with a heavy-duty black vinyl inlay. These are the best I've seen for this product. We spent a lot of time getting it right, and are currently being run in 5-7 local cars. I figured some of you guys would want/need them too, if you are like me and want nicer parts for our cars. I'd price a set at $45 so that my manufacturer can make a few bucks. I make nothing on the arbitration, except to help out a few in the 2002 Ol' Boys Club. I'll probably make a FOR SALE ad, but wanted to post here for exposure. 

_DSC3998.thumb.JPG.f8f962c50026fb329acdf3ab912ee734.JPG_DSC3992.thumb.JPG.5ff03905c392cccfc5a838158e0d6881.JPG

Oh I also forgot, we also re-man'd turn signals. Specifically, Euro, Clear, and Italian Turn Signals. They are of the highest quality, and cast directly into the original frames, as BMW did it. Except our material is far better. They are perfect in every way, down to exact color matches. The only thing not remanufactured are the lens frames themselves. These are used, sometimes pitted, sometimes not. We make them as best we can, but modifying them (fixing the pitting in the pot-metal, then rechrome, then creating new molds for the thicker lenses) greatly increases the manufacturing price. The good news is what we've completed so far are wonderful. I don't particularly mind a few pits if it means a combination not readily available in the current marketplace. I should post photos of these as well.

594ad3d90220b_FullSizeRender3.thumb.jpg.6928bb5b15898b1a7a7ea137f3861d58.jpg594ad3f269226_FullSizeRender5.thumb.jpg.c98acfb894d0163ce463a3d4721d0384.jpgIMG_5423.thumb.JPG.13fc751db489c6e8bf579002c7055a84.JPGIMG_5424.thumb.JPG.c7810c832a953bbd0ff5566a096dc860.JPGIMG_5422.thumb.JPG.d4be3954d529c503ad928f280e27b0a2.JPGIMG_0009.thumb.jpg.fbbc9ab6f1256ff6b811bfb8a806dbb3.jpg

What other parts are needed for these little cars, that makes sense to make? I have an excellent team on my side and are willing to put in the hours if it pays the bills. 

Cheers, Gents. 

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

_DSC3994.JPG

_DSC3995.JPG

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

My AlpinA racer had the flat Euro turn signals (amber lense), going to need a pair of those, haven't found anything yet that was good enough to go on my car (or affordable enough not to need to part with a kidney <or other partial organ>).  Definitely interested, nice work by the way.

Re: What else?

Seat Recline Covers
    The plastic covers for the seat recline mechanics:

52101859685 / 52101859686 (Inner Panels)
    52101859671 / 52101859672 (Outer Panels)

These get kicked and broken all the time and I would kill to have metal ones ala earlier models.

Sunroof Trunk Hole Snorkel Stoppers

These things. You can find them, but it would be nice to have proper ones that fit well.

And if you really wanted to make a killing - dashboards

Edited by silasmoon

Those turn signals look fantastic.

Other parts perhaps worth manufacturing which are similar to those escutcheons: door/window handles (permanent, inlayed black nylon, rather than the original snap-on style), ashtrays/panels, aluminum switch knobs, three-gauge dash pods.

Also, a gimme: the NLA "bow" behind a Tii clock. Easy, but maybe too limited to be worthwhile?

'69 Porsche 912 "Schatzi"

'74 BMW 2002Tii "Sabine"

Nice work.  Thanks for helping keep the drive alive.

I was just looking at my stock seat escutcheons.  They are still there but some of the black has peeled off.  I could be a candidate.

Another potential part:

Some people like to delete their bumpers.  02s are one of few cars that look good with or without bumpers.

A simple part that I believe the same people would want is a cover for the slots in the nose panel for the early bumper bars. BMW calls the rubber insert (#51114700255) a bushing.  A solid plastic or urethane cover that pops into place instead of the bushing would look  good and serve a purpose as well. Could even be 3D printed.

Later cars have the larger square holes.  An insert could be made for them as well.

73 Inka Tii #2762958