• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ordering Parts From BMW Classic Munich

Driv3r

I've tried to order some parts from BMW Classic in Munich using their website (these guys are actual BMW company not a dealer), they got back to me saying that my VIN number doesnt match the parts I've ordered and therefore they're not able to sell me those parts. I've run my VIN number in their parts order website and it came up as GB81 181 0226 7' E32 Sedan 750i L A. I replied saying that the VIN search BMW are using is wrong. Iv'e asked them to contact Julia at BMW Classic Archive and she can confirm my VIN number is not a 7 series BMW.

They replied, "You are at liberty to order what you want. If the part you order is not a match to your car, you cannot return the item". 

One would assume that people who made the car would have a clue about its correct VIN number. Meanwhile, I've applied for VIN certificate to be issued to my name and it was mailed to me last week. When it arrives, I will scan a copy and send it to BMW classic parts shop with a picture of Mr Bean showing his middle finger!

Has anyone else had VIN issues ordering from BMW or dealer?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, alixta said:

I've not tried ordering but my vin 2751676 also shows up as a more recent BMW. Apparently the vin has been recycled.

Yes we both have Identical Tii's both made in March 73. I think the VIN issue could be with RHD cars only. 

23 minutes ago, alixta said:

I've not tried ordering but my vin 2751676 also shows up as a more recent BMW. Apparently the vin has been recycled.

You have to use a VIN decoder for 7-digit VIN's, for example, the VIN decoder operated by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia:

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

It doesn't provide a specific manufacturing date -- only BMW Archives can give you the month and day -- but the information it does provide is absolutely accurate.

The fact that BMW Classic couldn't figure out Driv3r's VIN is truly outrageous!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you have a current part # your local dealer should be able to get the part, with no shipping charges.  At least that's how it works here in the USA.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

12 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

If you have a current part # your local dealer should be able to get the part, with no shipping charges.  At least that's how it works here in the USA.

+1  Also, if the part is damaged or defective in any way, you can refuse it and they will bring in another one.  Examples: sheet metal parts are notorious for dings and bends, plated parts are sometimes poorly plated, shipping department doesn't care much for packaging anodized trim pieces properly.  Just examples, but the parts department will make it right without question.

That's how it is in Canada as well.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

You have to remember that on our cars the complete VIN was 7 digits, the newer cars have a 17 character VIN that includes Letters and numbers, the last 7 always being numbers.  My '70 comes back as a 1985 E30 316 but my turbo vin comes back correctly (they obviously have not recycled 429xxxx numbers yet).  It took me 2 months to get a upper radiator hose for my 325ic (1986 euro car that was imported in 1989) I had to prove ownership and show current registration for them to sell me a radiator hose (it has a radiator that never came in a US car so the hose was never used in a US spec car)  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

59 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

It took me 2 months to get a upper radiator hose for my 325ic (1986 euro car that was imported in 1989) I had to prove ownership and show current registration for them to sell me a radiator hose (it has a radiator that never came in a US car so the hose was never used in a US spec car)  

Does anyone know what this is really about?

The few parts for my Touring that BMW have not made NLA, I too have to prove ownership etc., to get Touring specific parts. Fortunately W & N do not seem to bother.........at the moment.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The problem is people were buying parts for late model cars (brakes, exhaust, body, lighting etc) that were not US certified.  The FEDS clamped down on all of the manufacturers to keep them from bringing in non compliant parts.  The easiest way for them to do this is just restrict any part that does not show up in the US parts listings.  It does not make sense to us with 40+ year old cars.  For BMW (or Porsche, Audi, MB, Ferrari etc) to go through the millions of items in their parts inventories to pick out the ones that don't make any difference (like Trim pieces for a Touring, or a upper radiator hose for a E30 325) would cost them more than the possible income of selling the parts to the US it is not worth their effort. 

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

At one point when I wanted to buy parts for my 2002 turbo, they required me to provide photos of the VIN numbers on the chassis, inner fender, door, and engine before they'd sell me anything. When I questioned this procedure, they explained that they were worried that people would "create" a turbo from an "ordinary" tii by buying and installing turbo-only parts. And since they never imported the turbo into the US in the day, my purchase request set off alarms. At least that's what they said...

Edited by LarryE10E20

Larry

'73 tii

'73 3.0 CS

'23 M2

They may have some reason to try and keep the rare cars rare but I know from talking to the Porsche and Ferrari people they are having the same problems,  about 3 years ago the FEDS landed on the manufacturers like a ton of bricks about the grey market parts and in the span of about 1 month it all came to a grinding stop everywhere.  Fortunately I got my headers and full exhaust system for my e28 M5 4 years ago (yes I'm one of the reasons they got in trouble).  If you can get it from W&N or Jaymic or even find someone in Europe that will buy it for you and ship it over it will be a lot easier.  I am doing an engine, trans and diff for a Turbo that is being restored,  it is not registered yet so I can't use it's VIN to order any of the unique parts I need.  Fortunately I have been able to use my car/registration to help me get what I need.   

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

they explained that they were worried that people would "create" a turbo from an "ordinary" tii by buying and installing turbo-only parts. And since they never imported the turbo into the US in the day, my purchase request set off alarms. So they said...  

That's even more outrageous than them not being able to verify my vin number.

It's like I tell my kids not to change shirts when they're outside because I won't be able to prove they're my kids.

You can't re-birth a car by making it look like the one made by its manufacturer. Beside the obvious fact that it's a fraudulent act, it's literally impossible to have it registered by local transport authorities.

56 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

They may have some reason to try and keep the rare cars rare but I know from talking to the Porsche and Ferrari people they are having the same problems,  about 3 years ago the FEDS landed on the manufacturers like a ton of bricks about the grey market parts and in the span of about 1 month it all came to a grinding stop everywhere.  Fortunately I got my headers and full exhaust system for my e28 M5 4 years ago (yes I'm one of the reasons they got in trouble).  If you can get it from W&N or Jaymic or even find someone in Europe that will buy it for you and ship it over it will be a lot easier.  I am doing an engine, trans and diff for a Turbo that is being restored,  it is not registered yet so I can't use it's VIN to order any of the unique parts I need.  Fortunately I have been able to use my car/registration to help me get what I need.   

Yep, we ran into this with MyE28.com forum members with Euro & tuner cars not being able to get their Euro parts.  I've seen you post on that forum, too.  There is a parts manager local to me (an E30 fan) who will happily order the correct parts where possible!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I have a very good friend at the dealership parts department and if he could put this stuff through without the registration and ownership info he would do it for me.  I have to resubmit it every time I order something.  It's BMWNA that is laying down the rules from what he tells me.  It's just a PITA.  

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

The biggest concern for the manufacturers here in the US is liability due to the incorrect use of parts and it's a big deal under the sue everyone in any way involved strategy. The company I work for manufactures boat trailers and we've been sued, and lost, more than once over our parts being used on other manufactures trailers. So now the policy is no VIN no parts period.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944