• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires

2002#3

46 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I've seen the cn36 referred to as a "summer tire" Any input on how they preform in rain? 

I don’t know about heavy rain, but they did great on wet roads last weekend. 

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

11 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

blockley is great tire

anything better then that turkish/chinese junk cn36 crap.....

Blockleys are apparently made in Indonesia. I don't see how the country of manufacture has anything to do with the result, or are you just trolling?

6 hours ago, tech71 said:

I've seen the cn36 referred to as a "summer tire" Any input on how they preform in rain? 

They grip very well in the wet on my NK. I think summer and winter tyres simply refer to the temperature rating of the rubber, not their specific wet weather ability.

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

16 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

.... anything better then that turkish/chinese junk cn36 crap.....

I don’t believe any CN36’s are made in China. If you have first-hand experience with CN36 tires supporting your statement, please share the specifics. Otherwise, this sounds simply like trolling...

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

According to Pirellis facebook postings, the plant in Turkey is a premium factory also producing Formula 1 tires...established 1960.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/pirelli/where-formula-1s-tyres-are-made-a-look-at-pirellis-factory-in-izmit-turkey/172228002832626/

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

10 hours ago, Conserv said:

I don’t believe any CN36’s are made in China. If you have first-hand experience with CN36 tires supporting your statement, please share the specifics. Otherwise, this sounds simply like trolling...

Regards,

Steve

10 hours ago, Conserv said:

pirelli is chinese owned...the blockleys i saw where made in england. if they switched to indoesnsia that sucks

i currently use michelin's handmade in france they are good real good and france has a good track record for not committing genocide unlike turkey

• Haha 1

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

So often things are not made in the country you would expect. Sadly next to nothing is made i the UK any more. All the historic Dunlop car Tyres, untill about 6 ish years ago, were made in Birmingham, but sadly no more.

The benefits you have with the historic Michelin and Pirelli tyres is that they are made by longstanding tyre manufacturers in their factories, with their quality control, and they don't put there brand name on the side of a tyre lightly.

• Like 5

I am considering getting a set from Lucas Classic Tires (any feedback on their service?) since Tirerack no longer carries 185/70/13.

Since CN36's are V rated  summer tires and there is that statement about summer tires getting damaged (cracking) when stored below 20F, I am wondering if anyone has their car with these tires stored in unheated garage and if there are any issues with these tires being exposed to cold temperatures. I do not drive my car during winter but it is stored in unheated garage where the temperature drops below 10F on really cold days. This year's record was 7F so far. 

Thanks,

Max 

1 hour ago, Max L said:

I am considering getting a set from Lucas Classic Tires (any feedback on their service?) since Tirerack no longer carries 185/70/13.

Since CN36's are V rated  summer tires and there is that statement about summer tires getting damaged (cracking) when stored below 20F, I am wondering if anyone has their car with these tires stored in unheated garage and if there are any issues with these tires being exposed to cold temperatures. I do not drive my car during winter but it is stored in unheated garage where the temperature drops below 10F on really cold days. This year's record was 7F so far. 

Thanks,

Max 

I don’t know, Max.

I’ve run summer and winter tires (not “all seasons”) on all my daily drivers for nearly 50 years, storing summer tires over the winter in un-heated garages. Forty of those years were in Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut, so not regularly 7 degrees, but regularly 15 degrees at night (heck, we saw 12 degrees during my nine years in Atlanta!). My tires have consistently expired due to tread wear before I’ve witnessed cracking or other signs of cold damage.

’02 tires are conveniently-small and portable. If you are particularly concerned, do you have a corner somewhere in the house where you could stash four bagged summer wheels for the winter?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you for your response Steve. I myself had high performance tires stored/used in various climates and my wife's e36 currently has Pilot Super Sports on it in the same garage (that are 4 years old with 3 winters). No cracking and Pilot SS have the same disclaimer on the tirerack's website. I guess I will get CN36's or Vredesteins and will see what happens. Maybe the disclaimer is to keep people from driving on high performance summer tires at 10F where they are borderline unsafe (no grip).

Max

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

’02 tires are pretty conveniently small and portable. If you are particularly concerned, do you have a corner somewhere in the house where you could stash four bagged summer wheels for the winter?

Good idea Steve ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max L said:

Thank you for your response Steve. I myself had high performance tires stored/used in various climates and my wife's e36 currently has Pilot Super Sports on it in the same garage (that are 4 years old with 3 winters). No cracking and Pilot SS have the same disclaimer on the tirerack's website. I guess I will get CN36's or Vredesteins and will see what happens. Maybe the disclaimer is to keep people from driving on high performance summer tires at 10F where they are borderline unsafe (no grip).

Max

I was very unhappy with my Vredesteins. Strongly recommend the Pirelli’s! Less expensive from Longstone Tyre in sets of 4...strangely enough. At least in California, where we pay sales tax. 

I never had cold storage problems in New Hampshire 35 years ago...summer was only two months long!

Greg

• Like 1

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

Just drove 600 miles on an '02 with CN36s. They have good grip, though I had to slow down to 10 under the limit in the rain to feel safe. Only drawback is the block tread is a bit loud until the wind noise drowns the tire noise. All considered, they are far better than Kumho Solus TA11s.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

4 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

They have good grip, though I had to slow down to 10 under the limit in the rain to feel safe

Drove my 2000CS and my '71 2002 in very wet conditions and never felt any loss of traction at posted speed limits and maybe beyond...

...my $0.02

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool