• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tires

2002#3

yes that uneaven tyre wear is either the symptom of

• wrong tyre pressure
  • wrong size rims
  • tracking
  • or thrashing  the  crap out of yuour car round a series of corners. 

I know what i would prefer. I might point ou, thatt if that had been on  a modern tyre with squarer shoulders  that would have been considerably worse, and you wound have had some worrying sudden loss of grip instead of beatiful progressive drifting it appears you have been doing.

I might recomend if you are goiing to chuck it intoreapeated corners like that again then a bit more tyre pressure wouldn't be a bad thing. and if you were going to take it seriously on the track you might add a bit of adverse camber.

However it looks like you have had an ace time. well done!

I get through 3 pairs of rear tyres a year in this safety testing machine 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Longstone Tyres said:

yes that uneaven tyre wear is either the symptom of

• wrong tyre pressure
  • wrong size rims
  • tracking
  • or thrashing  the  crap out of yuour car round a series of corners. 

I know what i would prefer. I might point ou, thatt if that had been on  a modern tyre with squarer shoulders  that would have been considerably worse, and you wound have had some worrying sudden loss of grip instead of beatiful progressive drifting it

appears you have been doing.

I might recomend if you are goiing to chuck it intoreapeated corners like that again then a bit more tyre pressure wouldn't be a bad thing. and if you were going to take it seriously on the track you might add a bit of adverse camber.

However it looks like you have had an ace time. well done!

I get through 3 pairs of rear tyres a year in this safety testing machine 

I run 2 bar all round.

7" rim for 185x70 14" - wheels are why I bought the car and I can't fit a bigger tyre under the arches

zero toe in - it's what I've done on 02s in the past (this is an NK) - thoughts anyone?

I live in the alpes-maritimes mountains and make the most of the roads ?

Also has some negative camber strut mounts, not a lot, but nice for a road car.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 1 month later...

Joined the club. These tires are better than the Michelin’s I managed to wear out. Better grip, and reduced cornering effort. Slightly softer ride. Very quiet.

. 0bbcbb07ab381d743a28f4a5d3515f55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

2 minutes ago, Lengrep said:

Joined the club. These tires are better than the Michelin’s I managed to wear out. Better grip, and reduced cornering effort. Slightly softer ride. Very quiet.

. 0bbcbb07ab381d743a28f4a5d3515f55.jpg

And were the Michelin’s XDX’s (185/70), XAS’s (165/80), or some other (modern) Michelin model? What sort of mileage did you have on them at the time of replacement?

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

And were the Michelin’s XDX’s (185/70), XAS’s (165/80), or some other (modern) Michelin model? What sort of mileage did you have on them at the time of replacement?

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

I replaced XDX 185/70’s. Really liked them until I drove my car with the Pirelli’s. The comparison might not be completely fair—my Michelin’s probably got a little hard after 6 years. I was slipping on mountain roads which never bothered me in the past. I had about 15,000 miles on them. Rears wore quite a bit. Evidently, I neglected the forgotten art of rotating my wheels...

My Turbo has CDX’s on it. My tii tires were French manufacture. The Turbo tires from a new factory. My alignment guy said they are out of round, although they seem to drive fine. Perhaps because they were bound up in shipping tape for almost a year before I mounted them. Who knows...

I bought the set of Pirelli’s from Longstone. Great service and best price. (They discount for four or five tires) Arrived in California in 10 days or so with no sales tax. Only gripe is that they were manufactured a year ago. I don’t suppose the have monthly production runs...

Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

24 minutes ago, Lengrep said:

I replaced XDX 185/70’s. Really liked them until I drove my car with the Pirelli’s. The comparison might not be completely fair—my Michelin’s probably got a little hard after 6 years. I was slipping on mountain roads which never bothered me in the past. I had about 15,000 miles on them. Rears wore quite a bit. Evidently, I neglected the forgotten art of rotating my wheels...

My Turbo has CDX’s on it. My tii tires were French manufacture. The Turbo tires from a new factory. My alignment guy said they are out of round, although they seem to drive fine. Perhaps because they were bound up in shipping tape for almost a year before I mounted them. Who knows...

I bought the set of Pirelli’s from Longstone. Great service and best price. (They discount for four or five tires) Arrived in California in 10 days or so with no sales tax. Only gripe is that they were manufactured a year ago. I don’t suppose the have monthly production runs...

Greg

Very helpful, Greg!

15K is really “all the miles” on a set of XDX.  That whole XWX family of tires was designed for supercars of the late ‘60’s and ‘70’s (Ferrari, Maserati, et al) and grip was their goal — to hell with cost or mileage. I’ll be curious to see what sort of mileage we, collectively, wring out of the Pirelli’s.

Thrilled also to hear how favorably the Pirelli’s compare to the XDX’s!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)