• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack storage in trunk--where??

schuetz1619

Re the 2002 jack in the early (pre-'74) models: Any idea how the jack was intended to stored in the trunk?  I assume that it was under the floor boards, and that the threaded rod pointing upwards was involved, but I can't make my jack fit anywhere under the boards. Maybe I have a the wrong jack.

Could someone please post a picture of their jack and associated equipment in the proper storage position?  Thank you.

Mine is under the driver's floor board, on the "shelf" area forward of the spare well. It's not fastened to anything, but it doesn't move. I'm not sure if that's the factory location, but it's been that way since I've been around the car. The lug wrench is wrapped in a rag and rests inboard of the jack.

Sorry--car's in storage, so I can't get a pic.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

47 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Picture below.  Mine is a '72.  The bracket is not original to the car.

Cheers,

IMG_2565.JPG

That's the ticket.  That style of hold-down bracket was used on U.S. square taillights, which mounted the jack and lug wrench above the boards, against the left rear quarter panel.

Most of the early jacks have a single hole for the floor stud and use nothing but the wing nut.  The first photo shows my '73.  (And, yes, the disc-style spare tire hold-down is a square taillight piece.  It just happens to work perfectly with the early OEM alloy!)

The second photo shows my '76, and illustrates the U.S. square taillight style of securing the jack and lug wrench.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It fits just like the previous post shows except on mine,68 1600, there is a hole in the jack so that the jack will slide onto the stud and no bracket is needed and is secured with a wing nut. The crank for the jack is stored under the jack. Also the roll up tool bag was in the space to the left of the jack in front of the spare tire. There was also a rubber spacer that was placed between the spare tire and the front of the spare tire well. I wish I could post a picture of it, but I am part of the slide rule generation and I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.

There is room for a AAA card right next to the lug wrench and it doesn't make any noise over bumps :o)

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

3 hours ago, Glen Karr said:

Next year students were allowed to use those new fangled calculators

Yep, we were the first class to use the TI-30 calculator.  The real geeks were walking around with their TI-55s strapped to their hips.

Edited by Tsingtao_1903
typos

The real (rich) geeks had the $400 four-function HP's strapped onto their belts. Couldn't use calculators in exams for the first year they came out as they were considered unfair competition vs. us poor slide rule users.

Edited by fjord-tii

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

Get rid of the factory jack (well, keep it as it does have value) and get a scissors jack as it's much safer and will do a better job.

You'll figure out where to stow it.

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

+1 on the OEM jack.  It's a menace--as bad or worse than a VW Beetle's.  I only used mine once--the year I bought the car (1969) when it nearly broke my arm--I was reaching around the top of the wheel (hadn't even unbolted the lug nuts) when the car started to tip off the jack.  I yanked my arm out just as the car fell off the jack.  I fastened it back in its storage place and it hasn't been out since.  

a great place to store a small scissors jack is to wedge it upside down (base upwards) between the rear package shelf and the driver's side inner fender arch in the trunk.  then lightly tighten the jack and it'll stay put without rattling, and doesn't take up useable trunk space.  I use (don't laugh) a jack from a Renault R10 (legacy of working at a Renault dealer back in the day) because it has a long handle (allows jack placement under a subframe) and the lug wrench fits 2002 lug nuts.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite