• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is the best upgrade for a automatic transmission

BarneyT

I purchased a 75 shell with an auto trans and no engine, I'm reworking the car and installing a known good engine I have no information if the automatic transmission is any good and I'm thinking of trying to find an upgrade automatic if I'm going this far down the road to "restore" this one owner...what would be the best year/model to look far in an automatic?   thanks Barney

this is what I have now...

001.JPG

025.JPG

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Automatic cars are great candidates for 5-speed conversions because of the larger transmission tunnel.

As far as an upgrade for the automatic transmission, not sure there is one. If all the gears work it should last for years to come. I had an automatic that first gear was shot so I was starting out in second, that car was a blast to drive.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

There was a single year transmission that was an upgrade I believe, I think it was PatAllen that detailed his conversion.

You may want to search for 4HP-22, it was a 4 speed auto from a first year e30 318i before they switched to electronic, I believe it is pretty difficult to find one but if you do the conversion is pretty straightforward.

Edited by FunkyLaneO

74 Golf

I have an automatic that has lasted forever.  I've personally put on 100k miles on this car in the last 10 years and it's just now giving me trouble.  Ironically, it's in the shop right now getting analyzed so we can fix it.  My mechanic as talking about the 4HP as an upgrade as well.  They are a bit shorter the stock 2002 automatic though so, there's driveline considerations to be made there.

5-speed is a good way to go as well but, I personally love driving mine as an automatic.  I can drink my coffee in the morning while going down the road with out much difficulty.  (and my 914 has a 5 speed so, I've got that when I need it)

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

I have an automatic that has lasted forever.  I've personally put on 100k miles on this car in the last 10 years and it's just now giving me trouble.  Ironically, it's in the shop right now getting analyzed so we can fix it.  My mechanic as talking about the 4HP as an upgrade as well.  They are a bit shorter the stock 2002 automatic though so, there's driveline considerations to be made there.

5-speed is a good way to go as well but, I personally love driving mine as an automatic.  I can drink my coffee in the morning while going down the road with out much difficulty.  (and my 914 has a 5 speed so, I've got that when I need it)

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

My desire is to keep it an automatic...thanks for the information FunkyLaneO...does anyone know the year range for the 318i automatic I should look for?

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

The nails work with a slide hammer to pull dents out of panels, and also ironically, shrink them as well.  A nail welder is really useful.  I have a cheapo...

Personally I'd upgrade an automatic with an S54 and 6- speed, but I have an abject dislike of slushboxes...

no help here,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

as those linked threads show you need the 4hp22 from an early 318 m10 engined e30 that doesn't have any electronics - no switchable sport mode. Probably easier to find in the US than Europe - just managed to score one myself for my 2000CA. If you find one try to get the gear lever linkage - you may need elements to make it work with the original (my box hasn't arrived yet so I have no more detail). I also grabbed the oil cooler and lines. 

Good luck

Cheers, Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg