• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Merits of S14 over M42

Dirtsquirt

I've acquired a pretty straight '76 that I'm going to motor swap and build into a hot streetcar.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to throw into it for a power plant. I have a complete and running, but terminally rusty '91 318is that I recently purchased to use the drivetrain out of. It has higher mileage at ~200k so a refresh would be required. Thoughts are with this is to strap on a supercharger or turbo to see ~250hp.

My friend recently mentioned to me that he was thinking of selling his spare S14 with tranny. The motor is a full drop in from radiator to the dme.

Figuratively I believe I could build out the m42 and be into the drivetrain ~3k. The s14 is roughly twice that.

Is a hot NA motor the way to go with these cars? I had a e30 m3 and while it was fun the motor was pretty uninspiring under 5k.

Is the extra money up front for the S14 the way to go when/if it comes time for resale? I haven't seen a M2 trade recently so in pretty unfamiliar with the market

Ahem...wellllllll, I would heartily recommend the M42.

Now that's out of the way...could you PM me the name of your friend with the "spare S14" ?   :D

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Advantage of the s14 is that it is hideously expensive to acquire, maintain and rebuild. Parts and spares are getting rare.

M20 much better option for street car power.

There are many, many threads on the aspects of these engine options.

2xM3

Meh. They're only expensive to maintain when they break. :D

I'd stay with a 4 cylinder, myself.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

There is no replacement for displacement.  The M42 is a great engine (and much easier to come by these days than the S14) but I don't think I have seen anyone get one over 2200 cc.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Buy S14 for as little as possible.  

Dismantle.

Sell everything but the block, crank, and oil pump. 

*Buy or build a 'stage 3' e12 M10 head. 292 or 300 degree cam. 

*Bore block to 95mm and order custom pistons for the type of head and 10.5:1 (or 10:1, based on gas availability)

Put m10 pump pickup on s14 oil pump. 

*Pick your weapon on the fuel delivery.  EFI or Carbs.

Have torque for days, and strong HP at lower RPMs for damn near free, after the sale of the unused S14 bits. 

Drawbacks?   8 valve head isn't good for 2.4 displacement in the higher revs..  but this design isn't for track so much as street eating fun. 

Just a day dream of mine.  

*Granular engine build details intentionally omitted to save key strokes. 

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I had a e30 m3 and while it was fun the motor was pretty uninspiring under 5k.

yup.  that why it is not the best choice for a street car.  lots of  bling value for street use, but if you want stoplight fun (read TORQUE), M20 is the way to go.

Buy S14 for as little as possible.     Dismantle.   Sell everything but the block, crank, and oil pump. 

besides the cheapo angle, i don't get why anyone would intentionally tear apart a working iconic engine in order to make one that is far less capable.... :unsure:

2xM3

Merits of S14 over M42

Everything except cost. 

You can buy all the M42 stuff for the tax on an S14 crank.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

M20 is out of the question, if I wanted to go the direction of a baby six I would have put in the m54 that I just sold.

LOL...M20 is almost a drop in swap.  M54 is a reengineer of the whole car.  not really even an option. 

you need to do a lot more research.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

S14 2.5 Stroker...Very expensive but the ultimate in my view. Built right, you can get 250+ streetable, reliable HP to the REAR WHEELS with easily 40% more torque than the 2.3L.

COOP

This. add a carbon intake.

70 M2 2.5L 

How are you using the car?  How long will you have it?  How many miles will you put on it?  For me...an S14 is out of the question.  Its exotic, and amazingly cool, but a rebuild and upkeep can get very costly.  So an M20 is a nice option for 200 HP stock...you can even stick an Turbo on it for 250-300...easy.  Plus there are sooooo many out there its easy to find them and there are LOTS of options and candidates...a Super eta stroker?  2.7L with a high revving head?  Easy to do. M42 is good for 150 stock and you can turbo it for cheap..maybe 250.  So I would push for an M20 or M42.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com