• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Injection?

Utah02

I have a 1972 2002 with a Weber carb. Bone stock for the most part minus an electric fuel pump and the carb. I found a guy who lives really close to me selling what looks like a tii intake and injection setup. He said he was going to convert his 2002 but doesn't have the time. He also says he's not sure what it's worth so I would make an offer. Is it even worth it? I've had some tuning and fuel issues with my carb so I was thinking why the heck not spend some money and get my hands dirty with a new project. So my questions are.... Is it worth it? Will I need to buy a lot more (everything is pictured) and if it is, how much should I offer him?

Thanks

Colby

post-48292-0-37192700-1445926989_thumb.p

post-48292-0-37192700-1445926989_thumb.p

That's the CIS off of an early E21-

I'd offer $25, if you want to use the intake for a megasquirt project.

Otherwise, it's not what you want.

Sorry.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

A really well set up carb is more than fine on your 02. I had a 32/36 w/ manual choke and my car was a blast to drive.

Although mine also had the tii mechanical distributor. I would invest money on ignition + carb before looking into injection....plus it's hard/expensive to find original tii injection parts let alone be a much bigger project.

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

There's more to a Tii than just mechanical fuel injection.

Stick with the carb and dial it in. Focus on what you can do to make your car "sing" Recommend putting money toward suspension instead.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Even if you had the Kugelfischer mechanical injection pump, the intake manifold, the metal coolant pipe that runs beneath the intake manifold, every linkage rod, and the special lower timing chain cover that has the big "ear" that the KFish pump bolts onto, you'd still have the problem that the KFish pump is fed engine oil which then drains back into the block via a port in the side that is only present on a tii block. So, basically, you'd need a tii engine. And even with that, you'd need to change the gas tank and fuel lines to accommodate the high-pressure fuel send line and the return line, add the electric fuel pump, add the brackets for the tii air cleaner housing...

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

, you'd still have the problem that the KFish pump is fed engine oil which then drains back into the block via a port in the side that is only present on a tii block. So, basically, you'd need a tii engine. And even with that, you'd need to change the gas tank and fuel lines to accommodate the high-pressure fuel send line and the return line, add the electric fuel pump, add the brackets for the tii air cleaner housing...

As you suggest it is a pile of work and a bunch of parts, some of which unless new in their original packaging you would likely not want to use (linkage bits).  On a non-tii block that drain back port is just an un-machined boss that can easily be tapped during the rebuild stage.....so you can turn a non-tii lower end into one that will function for a tii without a mountain of work....again, assuming you weren't thinking it was strictly a bolt-up job.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Edited by markmac

Markmac, I did not know that, thanks.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Markmac, I did not know that, thanks.

The blue tii you helped sell recently, Rob, for instance, had a non-tii block (VIN 258XXXX). So I presumed it had been drilled for the oil drain. It's not unusual. There was another one for sale recently with a non-tii block (I think it was a VIN 257XXXX engine).

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

.... Is it worth it?...[/ quote]

Colby,

No!

If you had an absolutely complete, up and running -- and not tired -- tii engine, you could fairly easily join a sizeable number of conversions that have been done over the last 40 years. And you'd just have to fuss with a few issues, such as airbox brackets, brake booster, battery tray, and making certain your car's electric fuel pump is suitable for the injection -- it likely is. But many conversions were done at a time when a complete -- and GOOD -- tii engine was dirt cheap, and the value of a matching numbers original motor was zero -- so throwing out your tired old engine and adding 30 hp was all good.

But, as others have said, there are a LOT of details to attend to when you're just adding injection to an existing engine -- i.e., parts you haven't even imagined, that are somehow missing from what someone might describe as a "complete" tii injection system. And yours is not even a tii system.

If you want a project and some more oomph, try dual sidedrafts! There's a lot of experience on this forum with the upgrade to dual sidedrafts.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I agree with Steve, if you want to a "project", start figuring out sidedrafts, and which cam to put in, and which exhaust manifold header to put on it.  You can get tii level hp pretty easily w/all that stuff (though higher compression would help, too).

MF also has a good point, re ignition.  There's the 123 system and others.  And suspension mods are bolt-on, and make a huge difference.  

Good luck on your quest.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

"I have a 1972 2002 with a Weber carb." "I've had some tuning and fuel issues with my carb so I was thinking why the heck not spend some money and get my hands dirty with a new project."

I'm sorry this sounds a bit like "I'm having trouble with 6th grade math so I thought I would just jump right into Differential Calculus just for the fun of it" My recommendation is to make sure you have the fundamental understanding of how the Engine/fuel/ignition systems work and how they work together BEFORE you start down the path of custom 1 off fuel injection systems.

How good of a fabricator are you? There will be fuel lines, mounting brackets, throttle linkage, air plumbing, coolant plumbing, electrical and exhaust (02 sensor bung) work that will all need to be done BEFORE you even START to work on the fuel and ignition mapping to get it to run correctly.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I agree, Byron,

but I've noticed something in the kids these days- if it has wires and a computer, sometimes that's a lot less intimidating than emulsion tubes.

I have a couple of friends who are perfectly happy doing all sorts of advanced, skilled things to EFI systems but who run screaming when I wave a DCOE at them.

That said, the KFish is kinda like the advanced course in both worlds....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Never really thought about it that way, Byron. Well put. So it looks like if I'm wanting a smoother running engine eth more power I'm better off with dual side drafts, different cam, and upgraded headers?

Side note: I am only 18 so I guess I could be considered a kid that's better with wires and computers, haha.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Colby