• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jay Leno's garage is my new fav show....

2002Targa

Jay Leno denied me a high-five about 4 years ago. I was on his show and the producer asked about 10 of us to go and greet Jay and make him look personable at the beginning of filming and I went in for a high-five and he just stopped and looked at me for about a second and turned about 6 degrees to the left and shook someone else's hand. We even locked eyes before he made the slight left turn. Heck, even Oprah gave me a high five. But not Jay effing Leno.

He denied me then. So I will deny him my as a viewer of his new show. 

I'll never forget. 

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

So I have had a different experience with Jay. Nothing that personal ^. I have talked to him while attending Monterrey events several times. He does tend to move on quickly and avoid the crowds. My best story is I am at the Concorso Italiano and I am looking at this Gaudy Pantera. This one got chrome everything including The Trans case and axles. A giant Edelbrock carb, Red velour interior, ect, ect. I'm looking at the engine and Jay says do you think he can pick up 2 chrome plated turbos and win the best in class Hot Rod today? We laugh and he takes off. His show is somewhat entertaining. I prefer the Petrolicious videos right now.

Vince

My employer produces cold drawn seamless tubing.  When Jay was working on his steam engine car, he needed some very specialized and impossible to find tubing parts.  He called us himself and over the course of few calls, we produced what he needed.  He was a very nice guy to talk to over the phone.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Jay Leno denied me a high-five about 4 years ago. I was on his show and the producer asked about 10 of us to go and greet Jay and make him look personable at the beginning of filming and I went in for a high-five and he just stopped and looked at me for about a second and turned about 6 degrees to the left and shook someone else's hand. We even locked eyes before he made the slight left turn. Heck, even Oprah gave me a high five. But not Jay effing Leno.

I'll never forget. 

Hilarious - I have watched a couple of episodes and I'm already weary of the "lets go visit a fellow millionaire's car collection shtick".  I suppose it would be pretty boring if he came to my house to look at my crusty old Bavaria though.

But there there were a couple other segments I enjoyed.  One was the visit to the GM design studio in SoCal to check out and drive the Pontiac Pegasus (Ferrari V12 powered one-off).  The other was the short time he spent with the import racers at the Petersen Museum.

I'll keep watching I guess...

I've met him a few times through the Hot Rods, he loved the 1953 Allard J2X we restored & I took to an event he visited, always very cordial. I had put CV axles & disc brakes on a 1929 Cord front wheel drive car , all hidden except for the CV parts ;) he called me at the shop to quiz me what I'd done & I had to give the info to Randy Ema ( sp ) that was redoing his Cord. He was very nice & as we all know he's a dyed in the wool Car Guy.

Edited by LimeySteve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Danco,

i really would not make to much of the whole high five episode, some of us just do not do that.

from a different era i guess. that might make him, or "us" dinosaurs, but that doesn't necessarily 

mean we suck.

gaius

Danco,

i really would not make to much of the whole high five episode, some of us just do not do that.

from a different era i guess. that might make him, or "us" dinosaurs, but that doesn't necessarily 

mean we suck.

gaius

Yeah I hear you. My comment wasn't meant to be serious. I met him at Concours D'Elegance two years ago and he was great. 

But I'll never try to high five him ever again. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I'll never forget. 

Nice to hear you and Oprah are close 

Edited by Fatherof3

Yeah I hear you. My comment wasn't meant to be serious. I met him at Concours D'Elegance two years ago and he was great. 

But I'll never try to high five him ever again. 

Maybe he is a "fist bump"  kind of guy - or maybe just "hey - how's it going".    

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Nice to hear you and Oprah are close 

Oprah is nice. I also met a Christmas tree farmer in Oregon that personally supplies Oprah's house with Christmas trees. He told me that she flew her interior designer out to his compound one October to personally handpick 28 christmas trees for her home. 

WTF do you need 28 christmas trees for? Because Oprah. 

Maybe he is a "fist bump"  kind of guy - or maybe just "hey - how's it going".    

I'll try this next time and report back with my findings. 

I find Jerry Seinfeld to be much more approachable. I was a class host at Pebble in 2014 for Maserati and Jerry and I had a 3 minute conversation about a prisitine 54 Zagato coupe that was up for judging. The owner let me sit in his car but I didn't do much more than that. He didn't have a daughter so I became quickly disinterested.  

But Jerry knows his stuff. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Oprah is nice. I also met a Christmas tree farmer in Oregon that personally supplies Oprah's house with Christmas trees. He told me that she flew her interior designer out to his compound one October to personally handpick 28 christmas trees for her home. 

WTF do you need 28 christmas trees for? Because Oprah. 

I'll try this next time and report back with my findings. 

I find Jerry Seinfeld to be much more approachable. I was a class host at Pebble in 2014 for Maserati and Jerry and I had a 3 minute conversation about a prisitine 54 Zagato coupe that was up for judging. The owner let me sit in his car but I didn't do much more than that. He didn't have a daughter so I became quickly disinterested.  

But Jerry knows his stuff. 

You are quite the celebretologist.. (whatever that means).  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"