• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kinda Cool...My '72 tii to be on Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee."

COOP

COOP, you're car was great. I watch the show regularly and this episode sticks out as one of the few where the car portion of the show got so much camera time. A perfect car.

Agreed. Jerry really seemed to enjoy the 02! 

And now the wife wants me to find a blue one.....

Brian "shoeless"

Looking for my first 02! 

A local independent BMW shop's owner contacted me back in 1999. Speed (then Speedvision) was looking for a stock 2002 for a feature about BMW's '02 Series for a program called "Autoweek on Speedvision." I delivered my '75 Schwarz 2002 and hung out with the producer and his crew all day. Later I heard from someone in management at my local BMW dealership that my car appeared in the opening sequence of a cable program about collector cars. It was a fun day with my car, and I have a couple of copies of the program in while my car was featured.

All in all, I'm pleased with the final result and honored that JS chose my car. He seems to really like '02s which is nice to see from such a well-heeled car enthusiast. He should get one, instead of holding himself prisoner to his one-marque OCD!

The car got top billing (thank God because I don't find those two comedians to be very funny, especially the backseat dude) and I thought it looked really nice on camera. I feel that they did a great job showing lots of cool angles and many of the little details that make our cars unique and special. I thought that the color looked beautiful on camera and that the car itself showed well in motion (we rarely get to see our own cars moving).

Just a few little nits, mostly half-joking: 1. Um, who gets in a cold car and immediately zings it past 4,000 RPMs?! Good for the show I guess, but my dad would have smacked me upside the head growing up. 2. JS pronounces the color (Baikal) "Bake-All" which sounds like a nifty new oven concept for delighted housewives in the 50's. I've always thought it was pronounced "Bye-Call" but what do I know? 3. Please don't lean on my car JS, and watch that left hand on the hood...yeah, the one with the wedding ring on it lol. 4. The schlump in the back seat was not part of the original, presented plan and he added nothing to the show from a comedic standpoint. He did, however, cause the rear of the car to sag in an unsightly manner and the rear wheels to go to negative camber, a look that I always hated. 5. Error in the final credits referring to the car as a 1974 tii (yeech, jk).

Anyways, I don't mean to sound ungrateful as I'm actually thrilled. I'm just a stickler for the details, which I guess is why the car looks a certain way. I think the show was generally terrific and can only be a positive event for the image of our cars and of course, their value (oh no, not that!).

Thanks to all for your support and all the nice compliments along the way...you've been great!

COOP

Edited by COOP

All in all, I'm pleased with the final result and honored that JS chose my car.

Just a few little nits, mostly half-joking:

1. Um, who gets in a cold car and immediately zings it past 4,000 RPMs?! Good for the show I guess, but my dad would have smacked me upside the head growing up. 2. JS pronounces the color (Baikal) "Bake-All" which sounds like a nifty new oven concept for delighted housewives in the 50's. I've always thought it was pronounced "Bye-Call" but what do I know? 3. Please don't lean on my car JS, and watch that left hand on the hood...yeah, the one with the wedding ring on it lol. 4. The schlump in the back seat was not part of the original, presented plan and he added nothing to the show from a comedic standpoint. He did, however, cause the rear of the car to sag in an unsightly manner and the rear wheels to go to negative camber, a look that I always hated. 5. Error in the final credits referring to the car as a 1974 tii (yeech, jk).

Regarding the 4k rev, it is not clear that the engine was not already at or near normal operational temp.

Glad you mentioned the back seat poundage causing negative camber.  Curious if you changed your springs or upgraded shocks to mitigate this.  Not all cars seem to be affected the same.  Having carried back seat passengers and a full trunk more than a few times in a '73, I was concerned about this situation not because of the aesthetics but more as a potential compromise for safety and handing.  It has been too long ago to remember what worked best.  I did try heavier rated springs and both KYB and Bilsteins.  I also went to larger wheels and tires.  Believe it or not, the original springs worked fairly well with a taller "three dot" rubber bush along with the Bilsteins.  The KYB's offered the best look but the ride was extremely harsh.

I liked the focus on that "red tipped" antenna and the brief view of the exceptionally clean undercarriage.  Not that JS isn't a draw, but your car, by itself, would do just fine by me.   :)   As an aside, JS's time piece looks like a small clock in search of a rally dash mount.  Is it a wrist watch or wrist clock?

Your front bumper seems almost as far forward of the body as that of a Federalized '73, yet I don't see  '73 brackets.  Screen magic?

Kudos.

Hi...Yeah, I'm sure the car was already warmed up (judging by how easily it started, lol). As I said, half joking.

The shocks are brand new OEM and the springs are the originals. Everything is totally stock specs and I intend to keep it that way, although I'm confident that Bilsteins would be a huge improvement.

Front bumper features correct, pre-73 brackets.

Thanks for the nice compliment!

COOP

Edited by COOP

Great episode!  

As an aside, JS's time piece looks like a small clock in search of a rally dash mount.  Is it a wrist watch or wrist clock?

I have the same watch, it's a Breitling Navitimer - at 46mm, it is a large one though I do own some larger :)

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC