• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When 4 headlights aren't enough.........

LimeySteve

I too, applaud the look of your car.   :)

I have used Super Oscars on various cars.  Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to protect my favorite ‘02 with a choice parking spot, a very few drivers, "evidently," mistook them for bumpers.  I ultimately retired the lights until an uncertain future date.

A few might find my next thought sacrilegious.  It seems  that the current menu of off-road led lighting might easily lend themselves to our cars, possibly even behind the grilles for those who seek to be semi-period correct.     

bmw_2002-1.jpg

2014_hot_50_inch_288w_curve_led_light_ba

Old school variations on a theme?

bmw-02-3.jpg

spanish_bmw_2002_mid.jpg

1136.jpg

BMW_2002_ti.jpg

1974_BMW_2002tii_Jaegermeister_Hot_Rod_F

BMW-2002Tii-fr.jpg

bmw_2002_tii_touring_alpina.jpg

2upqz9d.jpg

Diecast model

158370.jpg

Love all those pics... not sure about the sacrilege of LEDs for fog/driving lights, though.  On a real-deal Rally car, yes... on a vintage car like in the pics? Negative.  But... tell us more about the LED headlights on the blue car?

I wish someone made a tasteful light bar, that fit low, maybe attached/clamped to the bumper bars.

Beautiful cars... thanks for posting.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I am informed that there are several DOT approved LED headlights that can be retroffitted to traditional - older style  - 7" and 5.75" versions.  For the short term, I expect to continue using my halogens - but as costs seem to be declining, the incandescents may eventually be relegated to the barn or garage museum.  :unsure:

m-p9050048-cropped.jpg

I'll be wiring the beasts tomorrow, hopefully the new bulbs will arrive, I'm looking forward to seeing them illuminate the neighborhood .

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I currently run a set of Hella H4 conversions in the headlights, next to that is a set of Hella Dynaview setup for high beams (with cornering lights!) and third and towards the center are the Hella 500's spot beam pattern that I use mostly as daytime running lights.

post-41531-0-62229600-1425759790_thumb.j

post-41531-0-77557900-1425642038_thumb.j

I plan on doing a bumper conversion (have the bumper, need the brackets) and once I do that, I might cut back on the lights, or I might find a new way to mount them (definitely don't want to drill into the next bumper). The Dynaview lights are the biggest, headlights next, then the 500's are a tad bit smaller. 

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

• 8 months later...

Love the Oscars on your car, you mean business with those. I had to make stabilizer rods for my Hella 160s to make them stable and useful. I get a lot of questions about them  Bet the Oscars will need something to stabilize the tops so they don't shake.

3 Quarter Front.jpg

Overhead Front View.jpg

Side View.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I'm loving that rally light bar setup... even thought it must weigh a ton.

Check the sweet, matched set of vintage Hellas I grabbed last week... 8" spots and 6" fogs, great chrome and no chips!  They'll go on the '72 project since it's bumper is already drilled for 4 lights.  I really need some of MoBrighta's protective film for them, though.

Hella lights.jpg

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I run a heim jointed rod to the bar , it keeps the lights super steady only 10/32 threads but does the job , as I said I'm retiring to  The Big Island of Hawaii & where our house is there are no street lights , hence the big spots :) there is a reason for every thing especially growing up in England in the 70's where Super Oscars were King . Re living my youth & safer night driving . Zinz , my bar is hollow stainless steel so weighs very little.

Edited by LimeySteve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell