• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadening is so worth it

BLUNT

I put some fire and ice sub roofing material in my doors, worked.

I have well amplified sub, mid and hi range separates that play really loud and clear.

Turbo 13b rotary waste gate (chirps) and blow off (whoosh) with 3" pipe is quiet but forceful.

In a 2002 you should hear and feel every bit of feedback this wonderful car has to offer.

• Like 1

While the 2000CS was torn down and one the chassis dolly, my painter suggested LizardSkin for sound deadening.  It sprays on with a special gun that looks a lot like flocking a Christmas tree.  It isn't terribly thick and dries hard.  it has ceramic in it, so it also helps with heat reflection. After it dried, the panels didn't ring at all when you gave them a good whollop. Because it applies in a heavy stream and doesn't stay airborne, I'd bet you could apply this in a car that simply has the seats and carpet out.  

It worked well in my car, it seems the price has gone up since I bought it though. 

https://lizardskin.com/sound-control/

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I went all in. I wanted a real freeway flyer if possible..

I experimented by going 'bout 80 for a good stretch.  I put the car in neutral

to see where most of the noise was coming from

Number 1 noise maker was the motor. Even though I have a 3:45 it was the engine roar that was 

the big noise maker.   I tripled the firewall. One layer being the stock engine compartment layer.

One layer of 1/8" Dynamat and 1 layer of 1/4" Dynafoam inside up against the firewall. Also did the hood with the kit sold here by a FAQ member

Number 2 was the drive train. I double up over the gearbox/tunnel with the same mat'/foam combo in strips to save weight.

Number 3 the doors. Doubled up the 'skins with FULL sheets of both. Doors shut with a nice 'thud

Number 4 was wind noise even though I've got good seals. I don't know if you can ever fix that in

a car that's just a box with curvy corners and 2 acres of glass'.

5 was trunk noise. I doubled behind the seat with strips but  I used the sound killing 3/4" Dynafoam on that. Dynafoam is LIGHT and when used with just strips of Dynamat  doesn't add too much weight.

Also did the trunk lid with the kit made by the same vendor as the hood.

6 was the tires. Pirelli CN36 have more road noise at 80 than I expected. They are close to new so we'll see if they mellow out with more miles

*Note up to 55 my car is really quiet. As soon as you hit 60 it starts to get a little hectic but it 's a heckuva' lot quieter than stock. Long trips are not so bad

Edited by iinca
  • Like 5

On 3/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, mlytle said:

i did not...too lazy.. i just keep earplugs in the car....:-)

if you want a more "solid" sounding car...i would put deadener in it.  does not have to coat every panel, just a bit to kill the vibrations.  now is the time before the carpet goes in.

In that case just a box of 36 square feet should be good enough you think?

On 3/23/2020 at 10:14 AM, zinz said:

While the 2000CS was torn down and one the chassis dolly, my painter suggested LizardSkin for sound deadening.  It sprays on with a special gun that looks a lot like flocking a Christmas tree.  It isn't terribly thick and dries hard.  it has ceramic in it, so it also helps with heat reflection. After it dried, the panels didn't ring at all when you gave them a good whollop. Because it applies in a heavy stream and doesn't stay airborne, I'd bet you could apply this in a car that simply has the seats and carpet out.  

It worked well in my car, it seems the price has gone up since I bought it though. 

https://lizardskin.com/sound-control/

Ed Z

Any idea how many gallons you needed?

Did you use the Sound Control or the Heat Insulation or both?  The Heat Insulation is the one with ceramic in it.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

58 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

Any idea how many gallons you needed?

Did you use the Sound Control or the Heat Insulation or both?  The Heat Insulation is the one with ceramic in it.

You can use both if you want. I used it on the underside of the car and find it looks great ? 

I however do not know the results in sound as I haven’t had a chance to drive her yet. 

just my take.... but I think people get carried away with Dynamat like pad. Honestly of all the cars I've done this to I've learned you can get away with just narrow 'strips'. It's designed to kill VIBRATION and not noise so much. If one just add huge pads of Dynamat your car is going to get heavy real fast. Using strips I can get away with a fraction of that..at a fraction of the cost

That's why I'm so flipped out on the DYNAFOAM type pads. You can use acres of it and not add hardly any weight. It's feather light and is designed to kill NOISE. I typically use 1/8" and 1/4"  BUT up to 3/4"/1" thick where i can get away with it. The thicker the better.

Just adding a  butt load of Dynamat and expecting your 2002 to be 'quiet' at speed is wishful thinking

Edited by iinca
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am about to do this job next month when I strip the interior. Great to get so much information. It’s a balance and it’s personal. I have a lovely smooth E28 so when I get the 02 out I want to hear as well as feel the car. That said a 1972 stock car is very tinny. With new bilsteins in, new carb, and the right amount of deadening under a new carpet should be epic!! 

VERY interested as to what has worked in the doors without taking up too much room? And also anyone used and type of spray foam in the chassis or pillars ? Mine are a bit (c)rusty and until I can do a full strip down will have to last a bit longer. 

On 3/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, iinca said:

just my take.... but I think people get carried away with Dynamat like pad. Honestly of all the cars I've done this to I've learned you can get away with just narrow 'strips'. It's designed to kill VIBRATION and not noise so much. If one just add huge pads of Dynamat your car is going to get heavy real fast. Using strips I can get away with a fraction of that..at a fraction of the cost

That's why I'm so flipped out on the DYNAFOAM type pads. You can use acres of it and not add hardly any weight. It's feather light and is designed to kill NOISE. I typically use 1/8" and 1/4"  BUT up to 3/4"/1" thick where i can get away with it. The thicker the better.

Just adding a  butt load of Dynamat and expecting your 2002 to be 'quiet' at speed is wishful thinking

Do you mean this stuff?? http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynaliner/

I have a story of resonance, something that applies to our cars, too.

Cars vibrate at all different frequencies, and that moves parts of them

in such a way that they vibrate and that vibration re- radiates at audible frequencies.

We have an E39 that was supposed to be an in- law's car, but somehow never made

the transition.  It had a trunk that felt 'tinny'- I thought it had been hit, and was aftermarket (this was an inexpensive car)

The wiring in the trunk lid failed, and when I had it apart, I discovered that the eco- goo that

BMW had used to glue the lid to the frame had completely failed.  10 minutes with dum- dum,

and now the trunk not only sounded like a real car again, but the latch worked better.

(it didn't bounce when closing).

But the real shocker was that the car was noticeably quieter at 75- this is a 5- series, so it has

300 lbs of sound deadening in it, and yet, that vibrating trunk lid was getting through to the driver's seat

in the cabin.

So if you're going all- out, look at EVERYTHING, tap everything, and dampen anything that rings.

And DO dynamat, acoustic- lead and jute and ethnofoam

the insides of all 4 wheelwells and the entire firewall- you're trying to 

stop LOTS of noise coming from the engine and wheelhouses.

t

takes it all out and wears earplugs.

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL