• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From "Car and Driver", 1968

arminyack

I have the BMW advertising reprint--autographed by David Davis--met him at the 2002 BMW CCA Oktoberfest where he was one of the guest speakers.

And I have the original C&D magazine (April '68)--that like a lot of us, triggered our original lust for a 2002.  Took me to May of '69 to acquire one--and I still have it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Turn Your Hymnals to 2002-David E. Davis, Jr Blows His Mind on the Latest from BMW is the original article's title.

An absolute classic, mandatory reading for all FAQ geeks, at least once a year.

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

He was as he once referred to himself, the "Doyen" of motoring journalism. David E. was quite a character. He loved whiskey, big Ruger handguns and automobiles with soul. People loved him for his irreverence and his disdain for the ordinary. His CD article gave the 2002 a shot in the arm like no ad could have. There is a reason he had a brilliant career in the advertising business. I think BMW owes him a lot for writing that article. It turned out to be BMW's best ad ever.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318