• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Demand Is There For Early 5" Tii Steel Wheels?

oh2fly

I de-rusted, repainted and refitted mine a few months back. I think they look great. I should have done it years ago. Mind you the advice to check they are not bent is good. One of mine just wont balance and I get a bit of judder above 65mph.   

IMG_4069.JPG

02tii 2751928 (2582)

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I was shopping for a new vehicle, the dealer told me I should go with alloy wheels given the corrosion resistance of aluminum. I never really agreed with that. Alloy wheels can quickly look very old after a bit of salt, and steel wheels can easily be sanded and re-painted. I think I am going to stick with my 13" steel wheels for awhile. Tire options are pretty limited, though.

I like the idea of widening wheels, but I haven't found anyone local who does it.

I am in the process of stripping my 13x5" steel wheels, and I have yet to find a paint that resembles OEM. Is there a recommended paint that matches what BMW produced? I know Eastwood sells a wheel paint that supposedly matches '70s domestic car rims. However, the shipping charge is too costly for me to deal with them. Any suggestions for durable, factory-like paint out there?

JohnH and dq48, your wheels look great!

Brian

Sorry, Paul, I meant my praise to include for your wheels, too. It looks like you have Motomaster AW tires. Too bad they stopped making those. I have two on my car and was lucky enough to find four hr-rated Vredesteins over the summer. 

I definitely won't be considering the 14" or 15" rim option in the near future.

I noticed there are at least two aging listings on ebay for 13" steel wheels commanding high prices.

Motomaster tires:  Yes.  I recently asked the (CDNtire) counterman if they still had 13s and he said yeah, $49. ea.   I guess I should have confirmed that.  Too good to be true or really crappy tires.  

I didn't double-check because I have enough "skinny" tires. 

RE: Paint.  I believe Polaris Silver is the blue-ish silver used by BMW.  Not too hard to have rattle cans made up if you have the MFG paint code.   Duplicolor may have a Polaris shade as well.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

8 hours ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

Krylon Dull Aluminum is supposed to be close... so I have read in multiple posts.

I believe people clear coat over that.

I have a few cans  on the shelf, waiting for a day that I feel ambitious.

Right now, my chipped up rims match the rest of my  paint.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/

+1

Krylon's Dull Aluminum, and Wurth's Wheel Silver, are the closest to the original silver in ready-mixed paints. Both are available in aerosol cans.

Having a Polaris metallic car from new, on the other hand, I was always bothered by how different Polaris was from the color of the rims.  The rims were more....greenish-gray (subtly) than Polaris metallic and had much less metal flake, and were thus duller.  The rims were originally painted quickly, cheaply, and sloppily by the contracted rim manufacturers -- Lemmerz, Kronprinz, and Solrad -- whereas the cars were painted at the BMW factory.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have to re-finish my original ones.   They are slowly rusting.  There's a place here in Cincy that trues steel wheels.  I need to take them over there and have that done first.  I have to decide whether to have a great resto guy I know do them, or do them myself.  Such big decisions...

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

The rims were more....greenish-gray (subtly) than Polaris metallic and had much less metal flake, and were thus duller.

I stand corrected.  You can see the greenish-gray in the rusty wheel below.

DSC03012ed1.jpg

Personally, I like jobs like this.  Why pay someone else when I can have all the fun.  DIY media blasting is a "blast" and setting up a rotisserie to paint and clearcoat is easy.  Seeing the final results is very rewarding.

DSC03014ed1.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

• 3 years later...
On 9/24/2016 at 12:24 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

I stand corrected.  You can see the greenish-gray in the rusty wheel below.

DSC03012ed1.jpg

Personally, I like jobs like this.  Why pay someone else when I can have all the fun.  DIY media blasting is a "blast" and setting up a rotisserie to paint and clearcoat is easy.  Seeing the final results is very rewarding.

DSC03014ed1.jpg

Curious how you set up the rotisserie to paint. Any photos? I’m about to take on a similar project. Also, how do you do the blasting? I’ve been hand sanding mine ?

There was an earlier request for a closeup of wheel manufacturer marks, here is the Kronprinz KPZ logo from the 2/73 Tii 5x13s that I ordered 10/83 from a PA BMW dealer.  I mounted Fulda Diadem Stahl 185/70x13s on them.  I recall back then being pleased that their 2/73 prodates roughly coincided with my 02 prodate of 4/73.  That's original paint that has been protected under hubcaps for 36 years, for what it's worth.

IMG_1281.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calxes said:

There was an earlier request for a closeup of wheel manufacturer marks, here is the Kronprinz KPZ logo from the 2/73 Tii 5x13s that I ordered 10/83 from a PA BMW dealer.  I mounted Fulda Diadem Stahl 185/70x13s on them.  I recall back then being pleased that their 2/73 prodates roughly coincided with my 02 prodate of 4/73.  That's original paint that has been protected under hubcaps for 36 years, for what it's worth.

IMG_1281.JPG

Thank you. The provision of new February 1973 rims for an October 1983 purchase makes one wonder how soon production of the steel round taillight tii rims ended after round taillight tii production ceased! I must admit, I’ve not yet seen a round taillight tii rim dated after 1973. How about other forum members?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

35 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Thank you. The provision of new February 1973 rims for an October 1983 purchase makes one wonder how soon production of the steel round taillight tii rims ended after round taillight tii production ceased! I must admit, I’ve not yet seen a round taillight tii rim dated after 1973. How about other forum members?

Regards,

Steve

Hey Steve - do you know if 1974Tii rims were different than base squarelight rims?

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!