• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 Tii On B-A-T

LJtii

There's a decent-looking '72 Tii in Sahara in Bring-a-Trailer, located in Tempe, AZ. The car looks slightly sun-baked but not rusty. Seller's asking price is $15,900.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

I am in Norway, where we have insane amounts of rust and rot. A "sun-baked" car would be the least of my concerns. The car looks really good. All-original is a huge plus. No weird mods and you know it is all rust free. Sure, I´ve barely ever seen a cracked dash on a North-European car, or anything at all that is sun-faded, but I would take that any day over rust and rot. It´s predictable. A faded paint-job is something you can fix, but until you do, it´s just the looks that is affected. The price seems OK too. I mean, it´s not a bargain, but you get a solid car, that just needs a little TLC. That is more than most of us can say. Getting a Tii is good too, rebuilt top-end means you have most of the 130 hp. A lot of the people here have huge money pits, and still, it´s not as nice as this seems to be(myself included). 

Less weight? really?

A guy walks into the dealership in 1972 and says "hey I want one of those beige tiis, but forget the sunroof, it adds weight and will slow me down".

I don't think so, but I know where you're going with this. Makes sense in a drag race or a track car.

The guy probably said "give me the A/C, and forget about a sunroof. I'm trying to keep the heat OUT!"

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I agree with the headroom remark. Several 2002s I have had featured the sunroof option, and it does limit headroom. My current car has a standard roof, and I love it.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

About 1" less head room.  There is a reason I have not had a stock seat in my '70 since 1975.  No sun roof in the turbo and I'm up against the roof,  its a big deal to some of us.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

About 1" less head room. There is a reason I have not had a stock seat in my '70 since 1975. No sun roof in the turbo and I'm up against the roof, its a big deal to some of us.

+1

You could never really order 2002's for U.S. delivery: under Hoffman Motors or under BMW NA. Therefore, you had to chose what was most important to you. Your dealer had a few cars in stock and your dealer would probably be willing to trade one of those cars to another dealer, in your region, if the other dealer had a car equipped better to your taste. A clear minority of 2002's came to the U.S. with sunroofs. If you, for instance, wanted an Inka with sunroof, you could wait and hope that your dealer, or another dealer in the region, happened to get one in and, maybe, your dealer could swap for it, or you could decide: "I want a sunroof more than a particular color" or "I want a particular color more than a sunroof". Priorities! Walk in and say, "I want a Golf tii with a sunroof "? Fuggedaboutit!

And then it got worse: For '75 and '76 models, the seats had grown taller while the roof stayed in the same place. And, yes, the sunroof ceiling is 1" lower than the non-sunroof model. When I was shopping for my '76, I could not fit in a '76 with or without sunroof (I had been able to fit in my sunroof '70 easily). But I noticed that some sunroof models in '76 (and perhaps '75) came with a $12.00 "Lowered Front Seats" option. The lowered seats are approximately 1" lower than the standard seats. I asked the dealer -- who realized I was ready to walk -- whether I could possibly get lowered seats in a non-sunroof model to solve the problem. The answer was "of course, but not from the factory" and he had his guys swap the lowered navy blue seats out of a new Chamonix -- which was sitting on his lot -- with the standard navy blue seats in my Polaris car. And my sales receipt shows "Lowered Front Seats $12.00" but, of course, my window sticker does not. I always wondered whether the buyer of the Chamonix realized his car had standard seats even though the window sticker on his car said differently!

Lastly, and as has been mentioned, 2002's were expensive for little foreign cars, but they weren't "top of the line" in those days -- which is why most of them came without sunroofs. Sunroofs were an expensive option relative to the car's overall price. And whereas everyone today expects a sunroof in every vehicle, including minivans, they were rare in the early '70s. People didn't know about them, people didn't care for them, and they were much noisier and more intrusive than they are now. So that's why not every 2002 has a sunroof!

Steven

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)