• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 Tii On B-A-T

LJtii

February 2, 2014 — BaT Exclusives / Cover Stories / German / Under $20k — 45 comments 
BaT Exclusive: All-Stock 1972 BMW 2002tii

This 1972 BMW 2002tii (chassis 2760670) has been owned by the seller for 22 years, and was stored for 18 of those before being put back on the road one year ago. He now drives it twice a week, and says that everything works including the original dealer installed Behr A/C system. He says the car is all original apart from a re-paint in the factory Sahara Beige 20 years ago. It is now available in Tempe, Arizona for $15,900.

1972-BMW-2002tii-Sahara-Beige-For-Sale-F

The car has new Kumho tires on factory steel wheels with hubcaps, which we must say have a great look. We hardly ever see factory caps on tii’s any more.

1972-BMW-2002tii-Sahara-Beige-For-Sale-R

The seller shows the photo below as the only rust on the car. It is at the lower passenger corner of the windshield. It almost just looks like think paint, and isn’t a place we usually see rust before the rockers and fender edges. This is a non-sunroof car, so sunroof drains are not a rust issue on this car.

1972-BMW-2002tii-Sahara-Beige-For-Sale-R

The engine has less than 500 miles on top-end rebuild. The seller calls it very reliable, and he says it passes a smog check with no problem, though one wouldn’t be required in California on a 1972.

1972-BMW-2002tii-Sahara-Beige-For-Sale-E

The interior is original and retains the factory steering wheel. The proper tii-only clock is in the dash, but it now has orange hands, but the original unit is included. Just like the outside, the inside shows some wear but looks plenty good for a daily driver.

1972-BMW-2002tii-Sahara-Beige-For-Sale-I

Click here to email the seller directly if you are interested.

Check out the additional photos here in the Flickr album and slide-show below.

Related Stories
  •  1990_Mazda_Miata_Red_For_Sale_Front_resi
580x110.png

45 commentsPlease observe Bring a Trailer's commenting rules.

1. Quite original appearing with great potential to return to health. Early plastic runners and chromed seat hinges support that claim. Lots of little things need attention.

Figure the rubber door/window seals will need replacing and there are dash cracks and the cracked steering wheel.

The “flag” style door mirror (1975, 1976) looks wrong on a ’72 – should be replaced with the “trapezoid” style.

Regarding rust: can’t figure out why it was rusty at the base of the A-pillar. Also there is evidence of some kind of bodywork on the left front – possibly a replaced fender. Lots of dirt in the paint next to that left front air pressure sticker – not factory quality.

If this is a good driver as-is, it might be best to leave it as such. Price is fair, but no bargain in 2014.

If this car were purchased and its needs tended to carefully, I project a value upwards of $30K in less than five years.

2. Steal! Less than desirable color but if really an unmolested western car this should sell fast.

3. My first 2002 was Sahara. The color never grew on me until I saw the car being hauled away on a flatbed. I love the period-correctness of Sahara and am happy to see an 02 priced reasonably. I agree with Delia, these are going to continue to appreciate for the forseeable future…like Seattle Seahawks stock.

4. PatinaBeforePolish

Good bones here and this is exactly what you want for an heirloom tii. Original, unmolested and rust free. Sahara’s a great color, it grows on you. I owned this one’s twin in the early eighties until the rear shock towers collapsed from rust.

5. Delia – A great assessment for any potential buyer.

6. This is a good price for a tii, with normal 02′s and 1600′s approaching the asking price.

7. Even with the potential areas of concern already noted, I think this will be gone quickly. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives on this one.

8. Orange hands on the clock?! Might as well have a naca duct. JK amazingly nice car at a very fair price. I love the subtle color and factory hubcaps. I believe my GTV was originally this color, whic for so,e reason leaves me a bit cold on the bertone but works better on the slightly more upright squared off 02.

9. It’s nothing new to be shocked by prices of the offerings here but rarely because they are low (at leat seemingly) I’m not in the market but if it was close I’d take a close look.

10. I really like this color.

11. I really don’t like this color, always thought of it as an “old lady” color – probably because there was an old lady with a Volvo in a similar color next door. However, as time goes by this color is growing on me and it looks very “period correct” on this car.

12. Delia Wolfe’s comments are very accurate. I bought my ’72 2002 new 42+ years ago and started the modifications immediately using the BMWCCA monthly magazine as a guide to adding and subtracting(smog pump) parts. Really would like to know Delia’s contact info as it is time to put my car back on the road after 20+ years in my garage.DGregg2002@bellsouth.net

13. Its nice to see a stock tii on correct steel wheels, as well. Everyone likes a nice set of Panasports or BMW factory Ronal alloys but the fat steelies with wheel covers look so right. The plan with my car is to stick with the original wheels – because so few people do it anymore!

Sure there are a few concerns with this car, but as far as a largely original driver goes, this one seems to have good bones. A few preventative measures and some light freshening should be all it needs.

Its snowing today, I might have to go spend some time in the garage…

14. This looks like a solid driver tii with no snorkel. Some immediate improvements on the interior would be a carpet kit, replace the cracked steering wheel, and seat restuffing. Mileage for this car is not listed (I assume its rolled over at least once) and along with underside pics would be helpful. The listing says nothing about suspension bits so I would think about typical things like replacing shocks/struts, suspension bushings, endlinks, tie rods, and perhaps a shifter rebuild kit. I am not sure what the small circles are above the bumpers on each fender corner. As with any car of this age, a good PPI would be recommended.

My 2002 also has a working Behr A/C system and it comes in handy – especially for my wife on long trips. Having no sunroof is just fine as it avoids the sunroof drains rusting out the rockers. A recent top end rebuild is an added bonus. Stock steelies with hubcaps look just right.

Sahara is one of those colors that grows on you, and I have come to like. I could see an investment of $3-4k in this car going a long way.

15. Seems like a screaming deal on a refreshingly stock but unattractive car. This one poses a conundrum. It is quite original so you want to keep it that way. On the other hand, I wouldn’t really want to be seen in it.

16. I am the lucky owner that no longer has space to keep it. Delia is pretty accurate with the assessment. This survivor is not perfect. It does need a few things to be closer to perfect. I do not have the original tool set. I owned the same ’72 tii back in the 70′s (orange with a sunroof) and it had the same mirror as this one so I am not positive about the trapezoid mirror comment.

17. This will be perfect after a slushbox swap and a big ass modern stereo.

18. Is that dirt or rust (or both) on top of the left front shock tower?

19. A nice original car at a fair price. I would overlook the color and concentrate on the originality.

20. Looks like a decent deal at first glance. In addition to the comments noted above I’d want to check out that driver door fit. Maybe that’s what Delia is referring to as well. It looks funky at the lower right corner. And holes in the front fender corners?
    What I see, and I could be wrong, is a semi thorough cosmetic restoration done many years ago. That’s not a bad thing as that may have been all that was needed at the time or all the owner could afford. But plan to spend some money sorting the myriad little things it will need to be a reliable driver. Cars hate to sit for extended periods. Seals dry and leaks avail themselves once put back on the road. Further, fluids can become caustic and cause damage to internal engine, fuel and cooling components. Window regulator grease drys out making the windows tough to operate, etc. Also, no mention of shocks, bushings or other suspension component renewal. How ’bout that flex disc? You’ll want that replaced pronto. It’s great that the AC works, although I’m not a fan of AC in cars like this – saps too much power. If I lived in Arizona in the summer I might feel different about that though.
    If this were close I’d be making an appointment to see it today. With the abundance of apparent originality and the fact this is a current runner my guess is a dealer will snag this quick unless an enthusiast can get there first.
    I can see the dealer’s ad now: “Super clean and original BMW 2002 tii! First year! One of the most collectible cars on the planet!!! No rust Arizona car. Runs perfect. $28,995.”
    Somebody save this car from the indignity of an Armour All assault and the ham fisted treatment of a dealer who doesn’t care a whit about it’s history or charm.

21. Am I the only one that does not think every car needs to be restored to perfection? It’s a 42 year old car, drive it, enjoy it, fix stuff as it breaks. I’d leave the a pilar rust alone, bet it’s not any worse in 5 years. Instead of worrying about the “panel gaps” I’d just drive the car. Think of it like a 42 year old woman, there’s some bumps and scrapes, but there’s also a lot less BS to deal with on a Friday night.

22. This price will look like an absolute bargain in a few short years. nice find. Someone here on BAT needs to buy this.

23. @mcaden, those “small circles” I’m not sure what you’re referring to, but from what I can make out in the pics (not too clear on my phone here) it appears it might have later bumpers on it, like from a ’73.

Or, if these circles you’re seeing are by the overriders, those usually are scars from getting lightly hit from behind…the overrider gets pushed into the rear panel and dents it in. I’ll hafta have a look at the pics again once I get to a “real” monitor…

24. LOVE the color! Different strokes for different folks!

25. ConstantReader

“Sahara” – isn’t that Farsi for “beige”?

26. Rust
    That isn’t the base of the A-Pillar (which ends where it attaches to the front of the rockers).

BMWs of that era are known for rust in the window channels. All it takes is. A slight leak in the windscreen gasket or a scratch from crappy window replacement. I’ve had it on E3′s, E9′s and 02′s. Trivial to fix if you get to it early.

Agree that this is a bargain and the color is so wonderfully period correct color a car designed in the 1960′s
    That

27. This or the recently featured Golf yellow model? Both seem very nice. Unfortunately no laughs today: no new ads for 911 air heads.

28. isn’t the 2002 BaT’s favorite all time car?
    can’t think of any others

29. The holes in the front fenders could be there because the fenders were replaced with used ones from a 74-76 model. The body shop could have assumed the holes would all be used to mount the chrome bumper. Wrong. The bellows holes on later fenders are in different places than the single hole proper, early fenders. Not a biggie, but it does explain the holes. Oh, new fenders are now NLA, in case anybody wondered why new fenders weren’t put on.
    This color combination is one of the best as far as being cool in hot weather, without A/C. Never looks dirty either.

30. Oh. Sorry, @mcaden — wrong fenders!! Too early for my old eyes, I guess… :^P)

31. A pillar rust looks related to prep work, not something that originated from under the window seal. Looks like a good one to me.

32. I’m with the “Buy it before it gets away, drive it lots, refurbish it only as needed, otherwise leave it alone.” school. Too nice as is to mess it up with a restoration that would result in yet another untouchable, living room ornament.

Great find. GL, etc.

33. Nope, you’re not the only one who thinks a car doesn’t have to be perfect. Perfection is a pain in the ass. It’s great to look at and admire, but it causes ulcers when you use the car in the real world. I prefer well maintained originals that are used daily or older restorations that have aged evenly and been maintained as a regular driver. But everybody wants to know what they are buying and have as much info as possible to make the decision. On BaT the process of parsing the details of an offering are educational for interested buyers. We all learn something new. As a seller you have to have thick skin. I find that the more info you can supply the buying public the less guesswork needs to take place. Because sometimes guessing leads to the wrong conclusions about the car’s condition and then a stigma in the marketplace.

Regarding the front bumper, it does kind of look like they used ’73 mounting brackets with ’72 overriders. The bumper does not fit as close to the body as the ’72′s I’ve seen. Maybe the seller can clarify.

34. The color would really put me off this, and if it’s as original as advertised (give or take a few things) changing the color would not make much sense. Otherwise, as attractive as any solid tii.

35. Sahara, huh? For years I have wondered what the color of the original IBM PCs was called.

36. @Ezekial: “Beige”. ;^))

37. BaT commented about the rarity of tiis with steel wheels. Here’s another tidbit of info. Early tiis got 5″ wide wheels, while all other 2002s got 4.5″ The 5″ ones have been unobtainable forever. Lots were tossed because no one thought they had any value and were just regular 2002 wheels. Lots of tiis got alloys put on as an upgrade ,so even more steel wheels went by the wayside, during the swap. They are treated as treasure at my shop.

38. @Greg F: I sold my 02 because it was too nice to drive! talk about ulcers – I was uptight something might happen to it – I doubt I’ll ever have an old car that nice again – and no regrets selling

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/03/18/as-new-6675-mile-euro-1975-bmw-2002/

39. @davidboco

Wow, that 02 was a sweet ride and effectively brand new. And it appears you got solid money for it. No regrets there is right! That car illustrates the classic conundrum of buying a pristine low mileage classic. You can’t really make it better and it’s only going to lose value the more you drive it. No fun there.

I sold the most expensive new car I ever bought, a fully loaded 2004 Volvo V70R with 6spd and the Atacama interior because I was not having any fun with it and I couldn’t keep it as nice as the day I bought it. I know it sounds crazy and it probably was, but I bought a T Bucket hot rod and still have waaay more fun with that little death trap than I ever did with the Volvo. These days I only buy cars that I can make better, no more new ones.

40. To Greg F. – I believe the bumpers are correct but I could be wrong. The fenders are most likely from a newer model year as someone mentioned earlier and the “holes” are actually black rubber plugs. I apologize for the lousy pictures but I am lucky just to get the i-phone to actually take a picture, never mind send it somewhere. The car is not perfect but the engine is matching number to the chassis and there is no smoke.

41. @Mike N
    Thanks for clarifying. I’ll be shocked if you don’t have a buyer by the end if the week.
    Best of luck!

42. Sorry, I do not agree that this is a bargain example. There are restored versions waiting to be sold for around $30K. I would consider this a good buy at $12K.

43. My understanding and experience has always been that the 1972 model-year cars had the rear bumper right up against the body and the front bumper so close-in that the very tip of the nose of the car is virtually flush with the center of the bumper, and that the 1973 model-year cars had both the front and the rear bumpers standing out a few inches further from the body, so there’s space to stick your hand between the rear bumper and the body, and the front bumper sticks out further than the nose of the car. On this car, to my eye, it looks like there’s one of each. In the photos posted here, the front bumper looks like it’s sticking out like a ’73, but if you look at the very last pic of the rear bumper in the photobucket link, it looks to me like it’s flush against the body, as I’d expect of a ’72. I think 02fly’s hypothesis of the different hole location in replacement fenders is a reasonable one. If the asking price on the car were $30k, the bumpers and everything else should be correct, but at $15.9k, this is not a showstopper.

44. To those of you who don’t like the color – imagine this car leaving the pine forest of Alpine, AZ on a summer afternoon and heading south on Highway 191, dropping through the high desert near Morenci and continuing through the desert landscape alongside the Dos Cabezas Mountains as the sun sets.

This color is as appropriate for the desert as candy hues are in California, or silver in the austere eastern US.

Or, you could just call it “beige” and leave it at that.

45. Perfect color for a 2002.

Leave a comment

NAME (REQUIRED)

EMAIL (REQUIRED)

WEBSITE

COMMENT

KEEP ME IN THIS CONVERSATION VIA EMAIL

'72 2580905

I like the fact that the owner chimed in to the BAT discussion and responded to some questions. If the car is as solid as he says, it's a better buy than a car one might get for a bit less and then sink a ton of cash into on rust repair. If this thing isn't sold in the next day or so, I will be surprised.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

B-A-T has just updated their cover photo to a car that looks like this one being loaded onto a trailer with Oregon plates. Anyone here?

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'76 Jade Green - sold

Guess that provides some input on the value discussion.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'76 Jade Green - sold

Guess that provides some input on the value discussion.

+1

Thank you for posting this listing: it led to a good discussion about current values!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)