• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Points Adjustmen

sonhouse

Hey guys, 

I've been away from the little car for awhile (school), but I'm headed back home for the holidays and want to get some work done.

One thing I really want is to tackle the points. My car takes a little bit to turn over. Especially when it has been sitting for awhile, or even overnight. I've replaced almost everything throughout the ignition system except the ignition coil and the points (new battery, cables, starter, alternator) but now I think my slow start may be because of the points. The car runs absolutely great, otherwise. Driven from Atlanta to New Orleans multiple times. I wonder if it's even a points issue?

My question: I didn't see any good walk-throughs on the site, do you guys know of any? Or, have you done it yourself? I have an old british military motorcycle that needs points adjustment all the time, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process. 

Thanks,

Happy Holidays

atd

post-42695-0-37954900-1386875957_thumb.p

I took out my petronix unit.  Weirdly, simply on principle.  I wanted to run points and keep things "old-fashioned" as it were.  Also, since I carry an extra set in my glove box I don't have to worry about that ignition issue stranding me with a road side breakdown.   There's a debate about which to do and that's off-topic so I won't go into it more than I have.

As for points, you can order some good ones from Ireland Engineering and trust that what you get will be solid.  You can ask them for advice hill at it.  Learning how to maintain and tune the distributor is (apparently) one of the first big steps of being a decent mechanic.

I say "apparently" because I've yet to learn it...or re-learn it.  I vaguely remember a class in high school dealing with centrifugal force and counter weights; knowing what's in the distributor certainly does't mean I have any solid understanding of how to work on said distributor.

Anyway, I'm rambling...

But, you know, hard cold starting could just be a choke issue.

• Like 1

Great looking '02!  Photos of the engine area would be helpful.

Points are either a pain-in-the-neck or no-big-deal depending on how you feel about the time spent adjusting them.  It's not that hard and is covered in most manuals.  First look at the old points before you take them out.  Are the contact surfaces burned/pitted?  If not then they may only need to be adjusted and will last a while longer before new points are required.  A feeler gauge and dwell meter are the best way to set the point gap.

Also remember to lube the distributor and the cam.

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

People either love or hate Pertronix. I'm quite happy and no points to adjust. That said, points are fine as long as you keep them adjusted. Best to buy a dwell meter and timing light (harbor Frt. will do), feeler gauges, and follow the directions in the link. Or buy a Haynes manual. Interestingly, the link to 2002 restoration speaks of 30 deg, rather than the 60 or so deg. you need. I expect they were using a dwell meter for 6 or 8 cyl, in which case you use 8 cyl setting and multiply by 2.

Make sure the points are set correctly, then make sure it is timed perfectly. Timing, it seems to me, could be the reason for a reluctance to start.

-JFT

'68 1602 I wish I still had

No 2002 yet, but looking

2003 E39 sportwagon

1982 Porsche 911SC

Had one 2 with the electronic setup, nicey nice but with points a fresh set and correct gap can work wonders, after gapping set your timing and should start good, a bit more advance helps my car at tick over. Use the original Bosch spark plugs also, the new fancy stuff never idles right

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Part of setting the points is also setting the dwell to the proper degrees (58-52 on a 2002 IIRC).  

Or, you can do like my father-in-law did and set 'em by ear.  He could tell when the engine was running right by just listening while slowly advancing/retarding the distributor after loosening the clamp.  I'd check with my dwell meter and he was always right in spec.  

I was very proud the first time I was able to do that, and have it check out with the meter.  Ed passed away many years ago, but I'm sure he was smiling down and saying to his buddies, "the kid's getting there..."

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I was very proud the first time I was able to do that, and have it check out with the meter. Ed passed away many years ago, but I'm sure he was smiling down and saying to his buddies, "the kid's getting there..."

I Love it

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I made it easy on myself my marking the distributor housing and shaft with a pencil, to index where the timing was set.  Then I would loosen the clamp and turn the housing until the points were square on a lobe and snug up the clamp to hold it there..  Then set the gap.

After that, realign the pencil marks and you're done.  Move on to timing or dwell. 

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I'm like Mike.  Been driving my '02 for 32+ years and I adjust the timing "by ear".  Whenever my long-time mechanic, who, in his independent BMW shop in Tucson, had been working on '02s for 30 years, adjusted my timing with a dwell meter and timing light I had to rotate the dizzy ever so slightly, by listening to the engine, after I got home.  That may be because his shop was at 2,000 ft of elev. and my house is at 4,000 ft.

But, my car starts immediately, runs very strong, and I'm happy adjusting the points with a feeler guage and adjusting the dizzy "by ear.  I'm not dissing the people who sell timing lights and dwell meters to people who think they need them, it's just that I know that is not the "only" way to adjust your engine.

Bob Napier

Part of setting the points is also setting the dwell to the proper degrees (58-52 on a 2002 IIRC).  

mike

2002 Dwell 59-65 degrees.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I'm like Mike.  Been driving my '02 for 32+ years and I adjust the timing "by ear".  Whenever my long-time mechanic, who, in his independent BMW shop in Tucson, had been working on '02s for 30 years, adjusted my timing with a dwell meter and timing light I had to rotate the dizzy ever so slightly, by listening to the engine, after I got home.  That may be because his shop was at 2,000 ft of elev. and my house is at 4,000 ft.

But, my car starts immediately, runs very strong, and I'm happy adjusting the points with a feeler guage and adjusting the dizzy "by ear.  I'm not dissing the people who sell timing lights and dwell meters to people who think they need them, it's just that I know that is not the "only" way to adjust your engine.

Bob Napier

Ha!  I hear ya!  Nothing like listening to the engine purrr.  I am terrible at adjusting the points "technically"....I can set the dwell, but I always have to get out the manual....takes me forever.  I drove my '76 to 02-02-02 shortly after my mechanic reset the points after I installed a '73 mechanical advance dizzy and that puppy still runs strong!!!...I haven't touched the points in 13 years!  Same thing goes for my '73tii....long time without installing new points & cond..  Of course it sits alot, but in a dry garage.  My '72tii has a Crane XR700?...was in there when I found the car wrecked 14 years ago......it started immediately when I turned it over after sitting outside all winter wrecked, so when I restored Hugo I left the electronic ignition in there...I have absolutely "no clue" how to set the Crane system up, so if it ever fails me I have a set of points and condensor in the car at all times! :-)  

Needless to say, these cars are amazingly reliable once set up properly....whether you use points or electronic igintion.  Either is fine with me, but I admit I love the originality of the poiints, especially in a tii like my '73 that still has the bus steering wheel on it....very original car! I suppose you just need to be an old geezer to really appreciate points!

Edited by 02fanatic
  • Like 1

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"