• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I Live In Socal

OriginalOwner

Seattle area, that's where it's at! We even get 4 seasons! Cold rain with snow, rain, warm rain, and lastly more rain :P And when it snow. Hit it sideways!

407449_3040483977302_640851385_n.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

After 23 years of living on the left coast (LA, San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo county), my employer recently transferred me to the right coast (Hampton Roads area, VA). I lived in LA county for years but I prefer the rural central coast area (north Santa Barbara, south SLO county). Trust me, I'm glad to be out of LA county, I don't miss the smog and the traffic. You can't beat the central coast, great weather, rural lifestyle and halfway between the LA and SF Bay area. Now I'm adapting to the right coast, I admit, I do miss Bar-B-Q's this time of year in shorts and flip flops and the canyon or highway 1 drives in my tii.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I just got back from two weeks in SoCal. Loved the weather! Now I'm back in Chicago area with a fresh batch of snow. While the 02 sleeps, waiting for me it work on her, I took the e39 out with the DSC turned off out to play in the snow. Can't do that in SoCal.

Drive a few hours up into the mountains and then you can. Easier to get to cold weather from SoCal than it is to escape it from most other places.

Growing up I always thought the 02 was perfect for where I live in Colorado, since it's similar to Bavaria in terms of seasons, mountains, etc. When I was coming of age, these cars were new, or nearly new, so people drove them like they might drive a Camry today. They were just cars, for transportation mostly. So, of course they drove them year round, snow, rain, whatever. As Mike says, we would just put a bag of sand or something heavy between the rear towers, and you were good for the winter. I moved away for several years, however, and when I came back, you almost now never see these cars on the road because they're now "vintage." However, the main change now is that if there is even a hint of snow, they start throwing down the magnesium chloride, and these old cars are not equipped to handle that stuff without immediately rusting. So, I never go out and drive in it like I used to. As another consequence, people no longer have to learn how to drive in the snow like we used to. By the time you get in your car, it's gone from the roads. So, you see a lot of people, even in 4wd vehicles, who get off in the ditch if they encounter any snow or ice; they simply don't have any experience with it, and believe technology is all you need...

FAQ Member #126

Over 50 years in SoCal

Just a quick reply w pic taken a month ago….. by the way the same weather now.  Pic taken at 5:30am

Dennis

post-36497-0-13667600-1388881280_thumb.j

1975 BMW 2002 - Poly, coil overs, big brakes, rear IE springs, IE front/rear sway bars, turbo flares, strut braces F&R, limited slip, IE header, Recaro, stainless Magnaflo exhaust, rear spoiler, Minilites, 5 OD, etc.

It was a beautiful warm and sunny day in So. Cal. the temp. was in the high 70's to the low 80's. We hiked the trail at Crystal Cove in O.C. and around noon I had an 02 sighting ,a very clean mint-green roundie with silver panasports rims.He was turning right off of Crystal Cove Hights Dr. and heading north on to PCH.

Edited by LB72

'72 2580905

We have snow for boarding and skiing, have you heard of Big Bear, Snow Summit or Mt. High? We can go snowboarding in the morning and then drive to the beach for some surfing in just over an hour. You wouldn't want to do that in Washington. 

Edited by LB72

'72 2580905

But to be perfectly fair, the snow at Bear Mountain is terrible. It's more like ice with a thin top layer of snow. 

I used to snowboard Tahoe 3x a week before I moved down to Huntington Beach. Now I just surf all day. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards