Why I Live In Socal

OriginalOwner

Guessin you have never played in the snow o2 style, I live in a town of 2 thousand with nary a stoplight in sight, the only traffic jam of the year is July 4 at the lake after the fire works, our biggest fear in life isnt the Bears or Lions, its the hordes from down south that will come up I-5 after it goes bad. Drive my o2 year around because the Germans knew what they were doin, after they pry my stiff fingers off the steering wheel the NO (next owner) can deal with it.

I can´t even begin to tell you how much you are missing out on. Good, dry snow, a long mountain road and no traffic is the most fun you can have in a 02. Entering at 40 mph, pull the drift-lever(or e-brake, whatever), floor it, laugh all the way trough to the apex, and exit on full opposite lock, and then there is another just as great turn. Oh god, I want my car back on the road. 

I grew up in the Midwest and moved to the Puget Sound region of Washington State around twenty years ago.  I was thrilled to see so many vintage cars still on the road (due to the lack of salt).  A few years ago they changed the laws, thus permitting its use.  I went out the other night and the roads were streaked with salt spray.  Temps just below freezing with no chance of precipitation.  It beats the rock salt I grew up with, but depressing nonetheless.  Did I mention, no chance of precipitation?  Salted roads... really?  Driving on snow is fun.  Driving on salt is not.

IMO nothing beats SoCal. The cars is # 1. Ive seen, Bugatti's, Ferrari's, RHD Nissan Skylines, Lifted Kodiaks, cruise nights for Bikes, cars, scooters, ETC and this is just near my house in San Gabriel.

# 2 FOOD FOOD FOOD !  I live 10mins from the best street tacos, 10mins from the best Hong Kongnese food this side of Macau, Taiwanese food is second to none, best breakfast burritos ive ever had, 10mins from street fruit, street bacon wrapped hot dogs...

Plus, im 1 hr from beach, 1 hr from the snow, 1 hr if I want to take my truck mudd'n, 40min from some of the best canyons to carve out some corners.

I would not like to permanently live anywhere else.

Cant beat driving anything you want most of the year long. My son owns a vert E30. Top is almost always down.

jayamasaki, 

spoken like a true believer !!

Ian,

dude, don't get nervous, but that photo is only "mildly" PhotoShopped, in case you didn't know ...... LOL !!  Otherwise, a great pic of the 405 adjacent to the Getty Museum.  I've been standing at the Getty and have seen the traffic that thick in the afternoon.

(and shifting into travel guide mode, that's a great picture of the Getty tram structure).

Cheers,

Carl

Driving an '02 in the snow is downright fun--they do remarkably well even without snow tires or extra weight in the trunk.  I drove my '69 all winter for nearly 30 years here in SW Ohio with nothing more than a 40 lb toolbox between the wheel arches in the trunk (where it lives all the time).  The OEM XAS tires were nearly as good as snow tires--very open, agressive tread.  

And to get out in a big empty parking lot and do some handbrake spins...great fun!  The downside--six years on and off welding up the rust from those thirty years of driving in the snow/salt!  Now I drive either a beater or my 4x4 Nissan truck when it snows.  Ludwig & Wolfgang hibernate.

mike