• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I Live In Socal

OriginalOwner

Just another morning drive in the M with top down for coffee on NOVEMBER 25 in So Cal 91737. It's going to be 75 here today and as all you snow lovers look at the green trees and snow less mountains with discus,  while you are trying to figure how you will pay your heating bill for next 4 months , remember So Cal is a big area and not all of it is next to the I- 405  freeway :) Carl I am with you , I don't even have to wear gloves or own a snow shovel  to drive my 02 . Hope every one has a Great Thanksgiving , I will probably barbecue a turkey on the patio in my shorts and saddles. :) 

Harry

post-37485-0-50844700-1385476775_thumb.j

Edited by harry6422

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

IMO, SoCal is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Too many people. I'll be out there next month for a visit.

+1 on that.  My son goes to school there.  Love to visit, but then love to get the hell out of there when I am done.  Norcal rules - just sayin.

Our beaches do pretty much s*ck in comparison, gotta give it up for that.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Have to admit I love living here in Virginia.  The change in the seasons, close proximity to D.C., MD, DE, NYC via train, beaches, mountains and great folks have made my family stay here for a long time.  I grew up here and will most likely stay.

Sunrise over Alexandria, VA

IMG_0473.jpg

Williamsburg

DSC_0346.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

101709022.jpg

IMG_1036_zpsc62d8e8e.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I saw this on another website ...... had to copy it to here ....... makes me nauseous ......

1480627_10200490695184632_1500172106_n.j

It makes me want to go out and brush off the snow and go for a drive, the contours created by snow on a classic car look like natures finest artwork to me, and driving in the snow in a light, rear wheel drive car is a blast and also a very good lesson on car control, steering with the throttle and vehicle dynamics.  Snow is also the great equalizer, you can't compete with 4 wheel drive, but all those big engined, fat tired 350zs, corvettes, and other modern RWD cars are suddenly at a disadvantage, or at least on equal footing.

I love the change of seasons and the nearby wide open roads of the Midwest, only thing I wish we had was less road salt and winter induced rust on old cars.

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

I think that we instinctively defend where we live.  The assumption is that we choose where we live.  Why would we not like it.

I also think we tend to overlook some of the inconveniences and emphasize the perceive qualities. It just makes for a stronger argument.

SoCal is HUGE!!!!  We have traffic, a zillion freeways, the beach, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and keeping on topic, we also have some serious driving roads.  LOTS OF them.  And not only are they pretty deserted, we can drive them all year long.

I live in SoCal.  After 15 years in the valley, I just could not deal with the smog, the traffic, the gangs, the crime.  OK.  It wasn't Compton or Corona but I wanted better.  So I left and moved 50 miles West.  Rural farmland.  Small town where everyone knows everybody. It's still SoCal.  But it's totally different.

For many of us in SoCal, weather is important, nice weather that is.  Riding a convertible or a motorcycle in late November is not an issue when it's 75.  (I did both today.)  When I see a convertible on the road with the top up and it's more than 65, someone is not getting the point.  And heading up highway 33 through roads Car and Driver have deemed some of the best they have ever driven, it's an enthusiast's paradise.

About the photoshopped picture.  I go through that section sometimes, going to the airport or taking my son to UCLA.  I make the whole 50 mile trip in 45 minutes.  You just have to know when to go through it.  At times, it is wide open.  85 MPH.

Opinions aside, there is one objective measure of a place's desirability:  property values.  Have you seen what a 1-bedroom condo sells for in Manhattan?

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I can do this year round. Nuff said

post-39605-0-41003900-1385535865_thumb.j

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

I second (third?) the San Diego/ La Jolla vote. Sunny and mid 60's today: Happy Thanksgiving!

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

• 1 month later...

Home is Home. Im happy you all love where you live. I drive beaters 1/2 the year but its like getting a new car every spring. I will eventually move to warmer climate but I love my home state and my family all right with me

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Home is Home. Im happy you all love where you live. I drive beaters 1/2 the year but its like getting a new car every spring. I will eventually move to warmer climate but I love my home state and my family all right with me

Well put, if I'm honest I really miss seasons with "character".  Let's do a switcharoo for a month.

Edited by AceAndrew

Chicago, where I live, has got to be the worst place in the US to own a classic car:  six months of winter and salt, pothole ridden streets (rumor is they deliberately use substandard materials to keep the contrators busy), so-cal heat in the summer, and the highest gas prices in the country.  But it's home.  And Blunt is right, it's like getting a new car every spring ...

hnichols