• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Would You Trade For Your 2002?

jgerock

If I HAD to trade it for another car, 240z (260/280 also). They're just so pretty and the sound is like sex....

1971_Datsun_240Z_Red_Twin_Cam_For_Sale_F

My former neighbor (car mechanic) fixed up a 260Z for his wife about 20 years ago.  Originally white, he repainted it burgundy (Malaga?), added front and rear spoilers, wheels/tires I cannot remember, rebuilt the I-6 with Webers, header and complete exhaust system.  The car was pretty stealthy until he floored it - the sound was amazing. IIRC, he had issues with the window regulators (hmm just like a BMW).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My former neighbor (car mechanic) fixed up a 260Z for his wife about 20 years ago.  Originally white, he repainted it burgundy (Malaga?), added front and rear spoilers, wheels/tires I cannot remember, rebuilt the I-6 with Webers, header and complete exhaust system.  The car was pretty stealthy until he floored it - the sound was amazing. IIRC, he had issues with the window regulators (hmm just like a BMW).

My dad has a 240 when he was back in the Navy in the 70's and he did a blow through turbo charger on it. Supposedly was a hell of a ride then! But it really needed the rear wing and air damn after that! Ive heard a few that are just amazing sounding cars...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The trade that jumps to mind is a Porsche 993, last of the air-cooled hand-built 911s. Worth more than twice my not-original-not-restored-not-totally-rust-free-but-pretty-clean-and-now-5-speed-equipped '72tii, sure, but it's not like you're going to trade DOWN, right?

Have you driven one Rob ? (BTW, enjoyed your book)... I have owned almost all eras of 911s over the years, and while it was one of the prettiest, the 993 was *the* most dissapointing one to me. I loved opening my garage ad seeing it, but drivin it was kinda "meh" vs older and newer 911s. Softly sprung, very GT, very linear... and that $$$ secondary air port coking problem, and stupid immobilizer... 

I think an SC/Carrera would be more enjoyable coming form a Tii, and in the same price range... Or a GT3 if we cheat about the rules of this thread ;-)

Personally I'd like to test drive an alfa GTV 1750 to decide once and for all if it's better than my 2002 or not. 

Edited by deschodt

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

• 1 month later...

I'd swap out my rusty '02 for a rust-free 2-door Plymouth '68 Valiant; rebuilt slant-6, mega-squirt (ie fuel injected) w/ a turbo. Do the same suspension mods as those guys that built out the 'green brick' for Car and Driver's One Lap a few years ago.... Either that or Rob Siegal's E9 ...   :o)

- The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

I actually traded my 73 polaris tii last May for a 1982 Alpina C1 2.3:

However, I missed that tii, and had to get another one, 72 tii in malaga this time. Still have the Alpina, though.

Dieter

post-37916-0-09834500-1389998129_thumb.j

Edited by BMWonly

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

Mine is in pieces even and I still won't get rid of it.

Once it is fully built, I can't see trading it for anything.  Although, a fully built 240Z running a turbo engine and 5 speed would be pretty neat.

Actually, I did see one E30 M3 with an S38 engine that made me weak in the knees.  ......oooooooooohhhhhhhh....... :o

Jose

Edited by DaHose

I'd swap out my rusty '02 for a rust-free 2-door Plymouth '68 Valiant; rebuilt slant-6, mega-squirt (ie fuel injected) w/ a turbo. Do the same suspension mods as those guys that built out the 'green brick' for Car and Driver's One Lap a few years ago.... Either that or Rob Siegal's E9 ...   :o)

Oh man, my mom had a Valiant, powder blue, slant six, slushbox, AM radio, no A/C.  It was the car I got to drive when I first got my license before I saved up for wheels of my own. I figured I was being punished for something.....

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

If I was trading up, I would go with a 1966 Jaguar E-type. My dad owned 3 of them and it was the first car I ever worked on (am now a ford master mechanic). He has pictures of me sitting on the transmission tunnel disconnecting the drive shaft when I was 3. If I was going same price group, I would buy a '88 or '89 porsche 944 turbo (951) They are entirely under-rated due to the lack of rear engine, however they are so much fun to drive. My friend and I have build his up to just under 500hp.